“Second stay and i still love it” 4 of 5 stars

Palm Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sissi Village, Sissi, Crete 72054, Greece   |
Ranked #11 of 22 hotels in Sissi
Wrexham
“Second stay and i still love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

second stay on my booking i asked for a room away from the requested and they honoured my request. room was clean, pool area is gorgeous. food was still the same as before not very appertising had brecfast but from my experience of last time i took more money and eat out every night at plori restaurant or Flamingo.

• Stayed July 2013

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Just returned home after 2 lovely weeks in Palm Bay, we stayed on a bed breakfast basis the breakfast served was questionable , however despite that great place to stay! The hammock chairs were fantastic .

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for a week. The rooms were spotlessly clean with comfortable beds. The hotel itself is a bit of a warren of walkways but is a low level complex. We were on the ground floor and our balcony overlooked one of the walkways so not really very private with people walking back to their rooms from the restaurant and pool. The balcony didn't get much sun due to the large amount of trees (mainly lemon trees) that grew around.
There were quite a few sun beds around the pool but if the hotel was very busy you may struggle to get one I think. There appeared to be what looked like a poolside bar but this never opened whilst we were there. The hotel has a lot of swinging chairs suspended from the wooden structures along the front of the hotel. If you are brave enough to give them a try they are actually quite comfortable.
The food wasn't great. Breakfast was mainly bread,cheese, ham, yogurt, and eggs but not great quality. I wouldn't advise staying here half board as there are too many lovely places to eat 10 mins walk away in the town. Most of the tavernas overlook the small bay so it is a lovely setting. Sissi is quiet so if you are looking for rowdy, disco and drinking till 4am then head to Malia just down the coast.
We spent most days on the little beach about 2 mins walk from the hotel. You have to pay a small charge for the sunbeds but worth it as its a nice setting and you can safely swim in the small bay. Boats arrive each day about midday and leave 3pm to 4pm. Watch out for the Pirate ship! The same beach is where you can also watch the beautiful sunset each evening. Don't miss this.
I would definitely come to Sissi again.
We also tried Boufos beach one day approx 25 mins walk from the centre of Sissi, which is bigger than the small on near the hotel but the sea was quite rough there and it was difficult to walk in and out due to the large stones on the bottom which were uneven and slippery. The waves knocked you off balance also so wouldn't suit poor swimmers.
I would definitely recommend Sissi and would return in the future

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ayr
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had two weeks at the Palm Bay at the beginning of June and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms are typically "Greek" but perfectly adequate (apart from a kettle). As the rooms are not self catering there isn't the facility of heating water in a pot, so just that little extra would be a bonus for residents. The rooms are serviced on a daily basis, either just a make up or a complete clean sheets/towel change. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating. The pool area is lovely - the sitting area is one of the most relaxing we've ever come across and because of the large area combining the sunbathing area, comfortable seating or the hammock area, it's large enough to give everyone a comfortable place to either sunbathe, sit back and read a book or just relax. It was our umpteenth time staying in Sissi and we've stayed in various apartments/hotels and these ones are up there with our favourite. We would stay there again, if we go back to Sissi in the future.

Room Tip: The outer rooms facing west get lovely late evening sunshine. The inner rooms and the ones facing t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have just returned from a week staying at the Palm Bay Hotel. I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels but this has been he location is my favourite by far! The location is beautiful and ideally located with a two minute walk to the harbour and tavernas! The hotel is so clean, the staff are friendly and the trees, plants and flowers make it truly idyllic. It really is a peaceful haven to spend your time in. I was surprised at how quiet the pool is (no screaming children or loud people) and even though this is a medium sized hotel, there were always spare sun beds. What I loved about this pool is the fact that it is easy to swim in and at most of the time you have it to yourself.

As other people have commented, the food is not great and I wouldn't disagree with this. I only sampled the breakfast which I would describe as basic but it is perfectly adequate with coffee, bread, yoghurt and other bits and pieces. In my opinion, it is one small compromise to have the pleasure of staying here. The rooms are lovely and clean and have everything you need - I would say that wifi, a shower hook, free aircon and a kettle would easily bring this hotel up to a 4* but that is just being picky.

I would highly recommend this hotel and the resort of Sissi to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday with plenty of peace and quiet. I am in my twenties but still found there were enough bars to enjoy without it being too in your face. Would probably not suit youngsters and families as much.

Would definitely love to return to this hotel at some point!! If you do decide to visit, you won't regret it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in may for the second time,as we came last june and it was very relaxing so thought we would return.The hotel manager was very helpful when we requested a lower floor and he even carried the luggage for us!!!The flowers and lemon trees are lovely all around the hotel and really make you feel good just looking at them when you come out of your hotel room,we were on a B+B basis as we enjoy trying local restaurants,and found as others did the food is to be desired which is a pity for such a good hotel.

Room Tip: Try asking for a sea/pool view as it it quieter than near the road.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We are coming to the end of our stay at Palm Bay, and it has been an absolute joy. We stayed on a B&B basis as the previous reviews were not so positive about the food. It is kind of strange, but I was happy just having the wonderful greek yoghurt and honey for breakfast. And we loved the coffee. Nice and strong. We ate out a few times at a place called Remezzo just round the corner on the other side of the harbour. Very friendly and the chef is English. Wayne from Kent. He knows how to cook. I'm a chef in a two rosette hotel in Nottingham. Everything is fresh and plentiful. The seafood platter for one was large to say the least. And the squid and octopus were so tender. Palm bay is like a labyrinthine complex with citrus fruit, geranium and bougainvillea vines everywhere. A wonderful canopy of dappled shade. The rooms are perfectly adequate, but I would advise the air con @ €5/night. Very clean and beds made every day. My wife and I had such a lovely time here. Memories to last a life time. As a post script, I would advise against a sea view, as this is on a ground floor opposite waste ground and refuse skips. We had room 167. On the first floor and right next to the restaurant. But far enough away not to hear too much noise. There's a lovely little beach nearby in the bay. Quite good snorkeling. Get to the sun beds early or the Russians and Germans will nab them all. So many Russians it's crazy. Good job for Glasnost. Lol. Enjoy your holiday if you decide to go. We did.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Palm Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!