“Understaffed and apathetic” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aksarben Suites Omaha

You added Aksarben Suites Omaha to your Saves list
Aksarben Suites Omaha
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7270 Cedar Street, Omaha, NE 68124 (Formerly DoubleTree by Hilton Omaha)   |
Ranked #31 of 76 Hotels in Omaha
Denver, Colorado
“Understaffed and apathetic”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Honestly I was surprised that Hilton put their name on this property. The lobby looks nice but our rooms looked to be only about half renovated. The lock on the back patio door in the bedroom was sketchy at best. There was no fan in the bathroom and stains on the ceiling. Our (terrible) in-room coffee was never replaced the entire time we were there. Mini fridge door wouldn't stay closed. The TV remotes were very nearly useless and if we wanted to use the TV in the living room at all we had to use the manual controls on the TV itself. Bags of trash and piles of dirty towels sat in the hallway all day. Room service plates sat outside rooms uncollected the the whole time.

Then there was the service. We tried to order room service but it turns out that half the menu isn't available. We ended up getting takeout from the restaurant next door but when we called the front desk for some silverware I finally caved and had to go to the front desk after 20 minutes of waiting. They sent me to the restaurant (with attitude) but after watching the hostess chat it up with the line cook for 5 minutes while I stood at the hostess stand (a reoccurring theme for the week that I noticed by observing from the upper balcony) I finally got back to my room with the silverware 10 minutes later. I ended up having to wash the plates and silverware before we used them because they were filthy with water spots and dried food. Our used plates and silverware sat outside our door for two full days before they were collected, even after I watched housekeeping pass them several times.

Others in our party had troubles getting anything at all from the front desk (pillows, blankets, coffee, cups, etc.). The front desk staff was either outright rude or completely apathetic. One lady refused to call anyone to replace one family member's coffee machine cups or leave her post at the front. Said family member was forced to go to the restaurant and steal away with a cup that was too big for the machine (because of course there was no one around to ask in the restaurant). Front desk staff was also unable to answer questions about how much the restaurant cost, what the age cutoff was for kids' prices, or whether or not breakfast was included with the price of the room. Someone finally mentioned the breakfast was $13.95, but I can't imagine someone spending $14 for barely more than a continental breakfast.

If you choose to use the pool you better be sure to grab a towel early, because those aren't going to replaced any time during the day.

I'm not sure there was an ice machine anywhere in the building because I gave up the search after wandering around for 5 minutes. No signs or maps anywhere. I did see a sign for guest laundry on our floor but it pointed to a dead end.

For the amount of money we spent here we would have been happier and better off staying at a Motel 6 or our favorite La Quinta.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Aksarben Suites Omaha, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I am disheartened to read your feedback and certainly apologize for what you experienced while staying with us. I can assure you that what you experienced is not the norm for our hotel and would enjoy the opportunity to make this right. As I cannot see your profile here, I would kindly ask that you reach out to me so I can make this right and hope you will give me the opportunity to do so. My contact is david.henderson2@hilton.com or my direct line is 402-255-9156 and I look forward to speaking with you.

David Henderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Room was spacious and clean. Very appealing lobby. Breakfast was fresh with many options and very good. I was not expecting such a roomy hotel. The staff was very friendly as well. Stayed here enroute to Colorado. Have family in Omaha that I wanted to visit and really didn't expect much from this hotel so I am very pleased with overall experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations and thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff and hope that you will stay with us again the next time you visit your family in Omaha. Again, thank you for staying with us and for your wonderful comments.

York, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed in this Hotel March 2013. The Lobby is AMAZING with all the greenery. Our 2 room suite was very clean and comfy. We ate a delicious meal at the restaurant. The kids really enjoyed swimming in the pool. All the staff were courteous and friendly and we hope to stay in the hotel again! The only thing I didn't enjoy (although not a real problem), was that the elevators were quite small.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Aksarben Suites Omaha, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments and the five star rating! I will share your comments with the team and we look forward to you staying with us again.

Wood River, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel before and had a great experience so we booked it again. We arrived at the Omaha airport after midnight. By the time we got our luggage and left, we were exhausted. A night at the Double Tree was just what we needed. The shower was clean, the towels were big and soft; and the bed was just as comfortable as ever. This is one of the cleanest, nicest hotels we have every stayed at. The suite makes traveling with kids much easier as well. The staff is always friendly and willing to do whatever they can to make our stay enjoyable! I just can't say enough good things about the DoubleTree. . . . we will definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the fantastic review and I look forward to sharing your comments with the team. I am glad that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to your return.

Shoreview, Minnesota, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

During our recent Saturday evening stay, our 2-room suite was clean and the hotel staff members were very courteous and helpful. Travelers should be aware, however, that the suites in this six-story hotel all face a large, central lobby that is attractive but very noisy.

When we mentioned we had small kids and were looking for a quiet room to get to bed early, the front desk kindly switched us to a side of the hotel that would be further from the wedding reception going on that evening. The French-style hotel room doors, however, are made of glass and have a sizable gap at bottom that made sleeping very difficult on the sofabed in the entry-room / living room area in spite of being further from the action. Our suite had a large counter with cabinets, sink, and full-size refrigerator but no dishes or silverware. The main bedroom in the rear of the suite has a door that well-insulates this room from the din of the lobby area, so if your party numbers 4 or less, the difficulties we faced on a Saturday night when the hotel was filled with wedding guests may not apply to you. Another peculiarity of this hotel: rather than having separate, private balconies for each suite, the rear bedrooms have sliding glass doors that open to a wraparound exterior walkway that allows guests to walk the perimeter of the entire floor, including all the guestrooms on that floor.

Room Tip: Call first to see whether there are any weddings or large group gatherings booked for the same time...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for completing a review on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your mention of our courteous and helpful staff members and look forward to sharing those comments with them. I do apologize about the noise from the wedding reception and we have taken steps to control the noise level for future events. Again, thank you for staying with us and I hope that you will choose our hotel again the next time you are in the Omaha area.

Galesburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here, and I will say this was a great experience. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was very courteous. We were checked in very promptly. The suites were beautiful. The bedroom area is in the back of the suite which eliminated any noise that might wake you from the people in the lobby area. The bed was a large king size with a comfy pillow top mattress. If I am in the Omaha area again this would be my first choice for a hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Aksarben Suites Omaha, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I also thank you for the kind words about the staff and our beautiful suites. We look forward to exceeding your expectations once again on your next visit to Omaha.

Bedford, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My fiance and I recently stayed here with our 4 children on a weekend mini vacation. We all had such a great time. The staff are very helpful and super nice and the cookies were a great bonus at check-in! It was very crowded when we went but, we all still had a great time. We had a small issue with some kids knocking on our door trying to bother our kids but, I find this was a parenting problem...not a hotel problem! It was nice having the 2 rooms so the kids could watch what they wanted and felt like they had their own space and away from mom and dad. It was nice having a lot of restaurants and things to do right down the street. This will be my 1st choice of places to stay next time I am in town! Thanks for a great getaway for my family!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor and for the kind words about the staff. I am glad that our two room suites worked perfectly for your family and we look forward to your return on your next mini vacation.

David Henderson

Been to Aksarben Suites Omaha? Share your experiences!