“Hard to get to and not worth the effort” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Omaha Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Omaha Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Omaha Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   655 N. 108th Ave, Omaha, NE 68154 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Omaha Old Mill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Omaha
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bloomington, MN
“Hard to get to and not worth the effort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Pros first: clean room; comfortable bed and pillows; ample free parking; green choice housekeeping(fine for the 2 nights I was there); friendly front desk(some but not all); Omaha steaks in the on-site restaurant(yum). Cons: very hard to find and Google map placed it far from its true location. After driving around in vain, I called the front desk to talk me in; they were very nice about it. One of 2 elevators was out of service the whole time. The room: I had a King on the Club floor; I usually like a club floor room for the convenience of breakfast & free WiFi close to my room, makes for a quicker getaway in the morning. BUT. The food was downright horrible, a shame on the Sheraton name. Freezing cold scrambled eggs, not freshly made onsite; I watched an attendant scrape up the burned bits from the bottom of the chafing dish and mix them into the rest of the eggs. None of the food was really hot, the toaster didn't fit the entire slice of bread so it was partially toasted; the only fresh fruit was a small bowl of blueberries next to the oatmeal(which I was afraid to try given the cold eggs & ham); Starbucks coffee machine was ok; cocktail hour was another embarrassment--frozen egg rolls, may have been hot at one time, served with jarred sweet & sour sauce; cheese cubes and STALE crackers; "fresh" veg--dried-out carrots, brown-spotted cauliflower; I'd have wished for freshly cut-up veg straight from the hotel's kitchen; ok, I'm picky because I've had many better experiences. My advice is to save the extra money, don't go for a club floor room. The rooms are just as good on the other floors and you might have a chance at a hot breakfast eating in the restaurant(but expect indifferent service there). I'm not a grouch on purpose, see my review of the Hilton Garden Inn in West Des Moines.

Room Tip: Definitely avoid the Club floor; the rooms are no better or worse than on other floors and the club...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tanner T, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
jayhawk73,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our staff as well as the cleanliness and amenities that we offer here! I will be sure to alert the department head for the Sheraton Club lounge as we normally have rave reviews about the lounge and I know they will correct it immediately. Many other travelers enjoy the location of our hotel, but I am glad to hear that we were able to help out with directions without any further hiccups. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you again the next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Although Omaha is not a huge city and nothing is too far away when compared to traveling in a place like Los Angeles or London, there are still locations within the city that are more convenient than others. The Sheraton Omaha is very well located at the intersection of two major roads, within the immediate area of more than one shopping mall, upscale shopping area, and many restaurants. Downtown Omaha is only 10 minutes drive in one direction, the westernmost suburbs a 10 minute drive in the opposite direction and the airport & zoo within 10-15 minutes as well. The hotel is much nicer inside than it appears outside which is pretty plain and simple. We've stayed at the hotel 3 or 4 times over the past 18 months and have always found it to be very clean and well appointed. If you're a Starwood member and have access to the Club Level floor, the Club room (cocktails, appetizers, breakfast as well as business needs, large flat screen TV, etc.) is at least as nice as any of the other Sheratons I've been to, if not nicer. If you're going to Omaha for business or with family I would recommend this Sheraton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NewfiePupLover,

Thank you so much for your great review! We especially appreciate your comments about the location as this is a great tip for other travelers to know about us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Sheraton Club lounge as we take pride in this as well being one of the most important amenities we offer here. I look forward to your next visit when you are in the Omaha area again!
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was initially very impressed with the Sheraton Omaha and excited to spend the next 5 nights at the hotel. Check-in was very quick and it was during that process we first learned about making the "green choice." This means they won't perform housekeeping on your room unless you request it, you also get a $5 voucher for the onsite restaurant each day your room goes without a cleaning. We decided to go without the cleaning knowing that if we needed it we could just call the front desk, well as least that is what we thought.
The room was very nice and exactly what my husband booked for our stay. The first night went smooth and we found the bed to be very comfortable. The first problem we had was with the shower/tub, it became clear pretty quickly that the drain was backed up when I looked down to see water up to my ankles. We called the front desk before leaving our room and they assured us that it would be taken care of. We returned that afternoon and found the shower/tub was draining as it should, we were impressed with the fact that the problem had been effectively handled.
The restaurant was nearly empty every morning except for Sunday and every morning service was very slow. On Sunday my husband had to leave our table to get someone to come over and take our order but after that our server was very attentive and she apologized multiple times for the wait, we left her a note saying it was the best service we had received all week. The food was great, I had the chef's omelet each time we ate there because it just that good and my husband loved the crabmeat omelet. We spent some time one evening at the bar and that was a pretty enjoyable experience.
The major issue we had was trying to get our room cleaned. We called the front desk at about 9:30 Friday morning and they said they would notify housekeeping. We left the hotel and did not arrive back until 3pm, our room was just the way we had left it. We called the front desk again and asked if we could have our room cleaned, the man that answered asked if we had been in our room all day, to which my husband replied no. Again he told us that he would let housekeeping know. We left our room around 3:20pm and went downstairs to workout. We arrived back to our room shortly after 4pm to find that our room had still not been cleaned. We did not bother calling the front desk again. Saturday morning my husband called the front desk and explained that we had asked to have our room cleaned twice the previous day and it had not been done, they assured us that it would get taken care of so we left and a few hours later arrived back to what appeared to be a clean room. Upon closer inspection I found that the glasses and plastic cups had not been replaced, we did not get a new bag for our ice bucket, the towels had not been hung up and they left cleaning rags in our bathroom. The bed sheets did appear to be new so that was nice. I was incredibly disappointed and frustrated but I did not bother calling the front desk since we only had one night left on our stay. The next day during check-out I did ask what the standard cleaning procedure was because glasses and cups had not been replaced, the woman told us that unless you fill out a card they don't replace anything. I didn't bother carrying on the conversation because my frustration level was only rising and I did not want to make a scene, I only wanted to leave. I can say for a fact that there was no card I could leave anywhere that would show/say I wanted new glasses, new plastic cups and a new bag for my ice bucket. The only card in the room was one that told us to put towels on the floored if we wanted them replaced and to place the card on the bed if we wanted clean linens. Now maybe that card she described does exist but I never saw it. It still doesn't explain why cleaning rags were left on the bathroom counter next to our toothbrushes or why towels were shoved underneath the sink instead of being hung up. We expected more from such a nice place.
The pool and workout facilities were awesome and are almost enough to make us stay at the Sheraton Omaha during future visits but after the poor service I don't know if that will happen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nikita Y,

Thank you for your review! I am very sorry about the miscommunication about the Make a Green Choice program, as we could have handled the requests much better than we did and I take full responsibility for that. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed everything else about what we have to offer, and just wish we could have completed the rest of your stay with housekeeping in a more positive manner. I will be sure to follow up with the department head so that this does not happen again to any of our valued guests. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review!
Arlington, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited the Sheraton for a 3 day trip. Desk staff was very nice and checked us in quickly. We were very happy with our room - nice and large, good bed, sofa. Bathroom small and a little quirky, the sink drained very slowly and hot water came out of the faucet no matter which side you shifted the lever to.

They have an indoor pool and indoor hot tub as well.

It was a challenge to get to, but most everything in that part of Omaha is. The GPS tracks look like figure 8s to get to highways, movies, etc.

It was a nice enough hotel, but nothing to write home about. If we upgraded to a club level for $30, we could have a free continental breakfast worth $9. No frig or microwave in the room, but this is more of a business hotel, so not surprised. With so many places offering free breakfasts and having mini-fridges in the room, I guess it just didn't fit the need of my travel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tanner T, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
silvervalk,

Thank you for your review of our hotel! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, but wish it could have been that next step above satisfaction for you. We pride ourselves on being an above average hotel and I apologize that we were not able to show you that during your visit. I hope that the issue regarding your sink was brought to our attention so that we could send our efficient engineering team to your room to get the issue resolved for you. When referring to our Sheraton Club lounge, there are definitely more aspects to the VIP lounge other than just breakfast. There are also complimentary drinks and appetizers served every night from 5:30-8pm as well as all other 24 hour amenties such as the business area, lounge area, free snacks, drinks, etc. Thank you for taking the time to let other travelers know about your stay as we value the opinions of our guests very strongly and always want to make sure all stays are enjoyable!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a very nice hotel that allowed our quiet Labrador in the room with us. We had excellent service and a beautiful room. Despite the restaurant being nearly empty, the dining service was a bit slow for both dinner and breakfast. As we approached the hotel on the freeway, we could see it but it took a bit of creative navigating to actually find it! Warning: take the exit BEFORE you see the hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tanner T, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Chris L,

Thank you so much for your review! It is always great to hear about how much our guests enjoy their stay, and it's great for other travelers to see how we are doing as well. I apologize for the slower service in the restauarant but appreciate the feedback as I will be sure to address with our Food and Beverage Director. Let us know the next time you are in the area and we will ensure another great visit! Thanks again
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed on business for two nights during the CWS (will not make that mistake again). Check in was excellent. Rooms were slightly above average for the price. Bar and breakfast area were above average. Rooms were clean and bed was excellent. Not a lot of options in Omaha so this is probably as good as it gets. Received room on concierge floor as requested (and as hoped for the floor was quite). Nothing to write home about but would stay again if here on business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tanner T, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Soonerpack,

Thank you for your review! I know that the CWS timeframe each year can be a little hectic with the crowds in the area but I think and hope you agree that our hotel did a good job with the majority of our guests here during that time frame. I am glad to hear that you were satisfied for the rest of your stay while here on business, and any other timeframe during the year I'm sure you would love it even more. Let us know when in the Omaha area again and we will ensure an even better stay the next time around! Thank you
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I brought 4 children with me during our stay. Ages ranged 11, 12, 15, and 16 years in age. The rooms were very nice. The hotel had a wedding and a bicycle convention going that weeks end. It was a little crazy I must say for the staff. First of all I had a issue with the rooms being split up. Jenna at the front desk asked me to give her an hour. She did accomidate us with getting the rooms next to each other. This was awesome. Ashley behind the desk took care of us many times regarding our needs. The house keeping was very prompt with towels, extra bedding, ect. . We eat at the restaurant for breakfast "buffet" $10 per person included drinks. The food was fine. The pool and work out area was top notch. So I would give this hotel a 4 star. I've stayed at a lot of hotels. So I do recommend this hotel. It was close to zoo and restaurants.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jason T,

Thank you so much for your great review! One of the best ways our staff is commended is from online reviews such as your own, and I will be sure to let our staff know about how well Jenna and Ashley were with you and your travelers. They were very happy to see you mention them! I am also very glad to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, but apologize for some of the rowdy crowd that weekend. If you are in the Omaha area again please do not hesitate to reach out to me and I will ensure another great stay! Thanks again

Been to Sheraton Omaha Hotel? Share your experiences!