“Very Good Hotel, But a Few Caveats” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Omaha Hotel

You added Sheraton Omaha Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Omaha Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   655 N. 108th Ave, Omaha, NE 68154 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Omaha Old Mill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #23 of 77 Hotels in Omaha
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newton, Iowa
“Very Good Hotel, But a Few Caveats”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our son picked this hotel as we gathered in Omaha for his brother's wedding. It was central to the church and reception hall, but more than 6 miles from the Old Market area near my son's apartment and a must-visit in Omaha. Check-in went well and the room was satisfactory, save a carpet stain inside the door. The HVAC unit provided only sporadic heat on a cool day and would not work on the Auto setting. After we reported it, an engineer came up and checked it out. He told us the thermostat was bad and to leave it in the On position. This meant it ran all night and sporadically blew cold air. I spoke with the General Manager the next morning, and the thermostat was replaced by the time we returned. Comfort was fine after that. On our last night, we returned to find that the TV remote no longer worked.

A couple of caveats. First, Sheraton's vaunted "Shine Amenities" sound like they'd include the extras you'd expect in an upscale hotel, like shoe polishers. They are the usual little bottles of shampoo, etc. There is body wash, however, a welcome addition. The second thing is more serious. Like all chains these days, Sheraton has an opt-out on changes of linens and towels. But read the door hanger carefully. If you put it out, you are opting out of ALL housekeeping service. Period. No more little bottles, or coffee, or plastic glasses (plastic?!) or coffee cups. You have to ask each day. Sneaky, Sheraton--a bad way to cut costs. No vacuum or remade bed, either. Breakfast is not free, an unforgivable omission in a hotel in this price class. Finally, if you're going to be in the western and northern suburbs of Omaha, this is a good choice. If you're interests lie closer to the river, go downtown or over to Council Bluffs.

Room Tip: Avoid the advertised "Junior Suites." They have no extra room or chairs, just a sofa, and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tanner T, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
CleveB_13,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some valuable feedback of our hotel. I am glad to hear that your stay was satisfactory for the most part, but disappointed that we did not meet your expectations in a few areas. I did want to mention that Starwood's "Make a Green Choice Program" is not desinged to cut costs, but designed to help conserve water and energy but cutting down on the stayover service of rooms in the hotel industry. As an incentive, the guest receives 500 SPG points or a $5 food and beverage voucher to be used at the hotel as a thank you for participating in our efforts towards sustainability in our environment. With that said, we will gladly still provide you with any towels, coffee, amenities, etc upon any request and you still will keep your incentive! Also, we do provide glassware in the bedrooms and plastic cups in the bathrooms so that you have an option for your preference, were there no glasses in your bedroom? I am glad to hear that we were able to fix your heater and A/C unit issue as this is of extreme importance to us. We hope to see you again soon when in the Omaha area and let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Upon entering the hotel, I was taken aback by the remodel. The last time I was in the hotel it was shabby, but adequate. Yes, it use to be owned by another chain. The remodel Sheraton has done on this property is elegant, tasteful, inviting....This Sheraton was given a rating of 3 stars due to the fact it isn't downtown. What a shame. Let's start with free parking, lovely lounge area upon entering, great bar for a drink before dinner, the restaurant's menu was well done. Check-in was quick and easy. They don't have valet service, but that didn't stop a young man who worked in the hotel from helping me with my bags. The room was quiet. I think they may have installed sound proofing to help with other guests' noise. I have become a linen snob in my old age. The linens, pillows, towels were all of a very high quality. I have stopped staying at the Marriott chain, of which I'm a member, because of their tiny pillows, and cheap linens. I loved having an electrical plug-in on the side of the night stand by my bed. Very clever idea, as there is never enough places to recharge all the new technology we all carry. I stayed for almost a week, so I feel I was there long enough to truly experience the hotel. I like the fact the hotel is basically in the center of Omaha. You're halfway between downtown and the west side of town. I also like being able to cool my room down at night. I can't sleep when it's hot. Many hotels (Marriott) let you think you can regulate the temperature in your room, but in reality you can't. They have already preprogramed the HVAC unit. I have family in Omaha, so I will become a regular customer.

Room Tip: My room was on the 5th floor on the west side. I was down the hall from the elevator. It was perfe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Tanner T, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Kathryn T,

Wow - we can't thank you enough for all of your kind words! It is so great to see how well we are doing in so many areas with our guests, and this kind of valuable feedback will help us keep up how great our service truly is! I will be sure to pass your review onto the rest of our team by posting it for all to see. I too am a huge fan of our linens as this is never a consistent factor in our industry, and something Sheraton will always be on top of! If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to ask or contact me directly as I will ensure another wonderful stay with us yet again! Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Check-in was quick and easy and done by a very friendly staff. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Our two daughters (ages 13 and 3) favorite part was the pool covered by a dome. It was nice to swim in a pool and sit in the hot tub while looking at the snow and icicles outside. Room service was fast, affordable, and delicious. There is a grocery store, restaurants, and many other things nearby. As others have mentioned getting there is a little tricky but once you drive there once or twice it is easily figured out. Overall a great trip for our family and will stay there again in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Aaron C,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It is phenomenal to see how much yo appreciated our staff and accommodations as well. We have made some great strides since our renovations that include bringing in such a valuable staff, and I will be sure to pass along your great review to them as well. Thank you so much again, and we hope to see you back again soon!
Manhattan, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights during visit to Omaha. Bed was very comfortable. Water bottles was handy as we forgot to bring ours. Visited the fitness center, and it was one of the better one around. Like the outlet near the bed for charging phones and tablet. Only gripe was no free coffee in the morning in the lobby. (There is a coffee maker in room) I did not want to disturb my room mate making coffee, so I went down to get a cup, but was charged $3. Would stay here again when I'm in Omaha.

Room Tip: Location is a bit challenged to get to.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HASTrip,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel! It's always great to hear how well our guests are responding to our renovations. I have been lucky enough to experience how wonderful Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds can be and I completely agree, there is no better bed out there. We are currently working on setting up a coffee bar with more extensive options in the morning so the next time you return I assure you that your experience will be even better than the last. Thank you again for your valuable feedback!
Clay Center, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Nice place, was welcomed by the friendly front desk staff, Room & hotel was nicely kept.
Rooms was spacious and comfortable. Was away from noisy highways. Price was reasonable.
Hotel has been recenlty renovated, and nice done. Would stay again if in that part of Omaha.

Room Tip: Off the highway so no highway noise. Rooms are nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bill W,

Thank you so much for your review! It's always great to hear how well our staff is delivering our great customer service as a Sheraton. You have some great tips on here for other travelers, and that's what this is all about. Thank you again for taking the time to give us some feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed in a club level room for a brief one night stay. The room was renovated, comfortable and functional. Renovated Sheraton properties are always great at providing built in bedside and desk electrical outlets for plugging in devices. The staff is friendly. I appreciate that mouthwash and a body pull are included in addition to the normal toiletries. The hotel is a 5 min drive from a mall with several restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang's, etc), move theater, department stores, etc. The espresso/ latte machine in the club lounge was out of service, but I did see a maintenance team member stop in to check things out and the club lounge staff member was proactively asking him about it; they seem to be on top of things!

The club lounge offered a good spread and I recall items such as oatmeal and berries, scrambled eggs, pastries, yogurt, cereal, coffee tea, bananas, baked ham.

The only complaint is that Fox "News" is the primary channel on the TV in the club lounge, so I found it slightly difficult to keep my breakfast down while watching the opinion-based "news". I'm (half) joking though...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
johnruda,

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Taking the time to give us some feedback on TripAdvisor is always greatly appreciated and we can't thank you enough. It's wonderful to hear how well our renovations have gone, and how well our staff is handling service with our guests. I did bring up the default TV channel with our team and we will be sure to watch for what stations a previous guest will leave on :) Thank you so much for a great review!
Welwyn, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here for one night with two colleagues while visiting Omaha on business. The room is pretty much what you get with a Sheraton, plenty of room, a great comfy bead, a desk and as always a small bathroom!

One of my colleagues was ill and the hotel allowed him to keep his room until 4Pm which was generous of them. I ate in the bar at lunch time and food and service was good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Tanner T, Manager at Sheraton Omaha Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Colin_Welwyn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel! It is always appreciated to hear your feedback and a great sign when we see how well we are doing with our loyal guests. We will always do the absolute best we can to accommodate you and your guests when you stay, even if it means a late check-out to better suit your travelers' needs. Please let us know the next time you are in the Omaha area and we will be more than happy to take great care for you once again!