“Great location, and a fine choice overall” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Family Fun package
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Omaha
chicago
“Great location, and a fine choice overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I have a daughter at Creighton, and I've long been looking for the right place to stay when visiting. This place is it, hands down. It is directly adjacent to the Old Market; and while I can't claim to be an Omaha expert after 4 visits, the Old Market seems like the best place for shopping, dining, hanging, etc. And it's a very short drive to Creighton, or just about anyplace else in the city center. Everyplace else we've stayed (including the Doubletree) is in a neighborhood that feels dead and deserted at night, which is no fun.

The hotel is, by and large, pretty cool. A large and elaborate sky-lit lobby, with a bar, a restaurant (which I haven't tried), a mini-Starbucks, sort of a koi-pond thing. A very decent-sized indoor pool and hot tub, which can be great if you're traveling with younger kids. The suites are spacious, and unlike some "suite" hotels, they're really suites, with bedrooms separate from the living area. As others have noted, they're not super-updated (it's become funny to see square-shaped tube TVs!), but they're clean and fine, with good beds, beddings and towels.

There's a better-than-average free breakfast. They charge for wireless internet, which drives me crazy. I'd rather pay an extra 20 bucks for the room then get nickel-and-dimed for ten bucks to use the internet.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Falls Church, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

So I've stayed at this hotel about a dozen times. The service here is excellent and the location can not be beat. The rooms are old and pretty clean but need to be renovated. The complimentary breakfast is amazing, the restaurant int he hotel is surprisingly good, and the managers reception with free drinks is a bonus.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

Hotel is dated. Reservations were screwed up but Tara saved the day. Bedding falls off. In the room we were left 2 pods for making coffee, two cups in not enough. TV's are old, volume is either really loud or to soft.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

We have stayed here a number of times without disappointment, but this time was different. Our room seemed shabby and dated. The bedding was not great. The comforter on the bed was made from some slick polyester stuff and it constantly slid off the bed while we were sleeping. Annoying. The toiletries were below average in quality and many were not replaced the next day. My husband called the front desk and asked for a fan. The person at the other end replied, "what's that?" and had to get someone else on the phone to help us...someone who knew what a fan was and this wasn't a case of not understanding English. Hours later they let us know they didn't have any fans. The coffee service in the room was not well stocked, but the worst thing was the valet parking. We left our car one evening around 8:30 to be parked and when we came back from dinner over an hour later it was still in the same place. We asked about it and one of the valets said there had been a problem with a limo blocking the drive and they couldn't move our car, but that it would be parked soon. The next day when we needed our car they couldn't find the keys or our car. After insisting that we hadn't given them the keys or the car we reminded them about the limo problem the previous night. Finally the manager got involved and everyone began looking for the car including me. It was finally located in their parking lot and to their credit they comped the valet parking charges. They said someone had ripped the tags off the car and our keys which created the confusion. It was obvious they thought we had done it. Go figure. That afternoon when I wanted a valet to park it again, he insisted that the Omaha police had told him the previous evening that our car was not licensed properly in Illinois and that we didn't have an updated sticker, which isn't true. I showed him the updated sticker, but he went on and on about the possible trouble we would be in if we got stopped. He also insinuated that we were the reason the car was "lost" the previous day because we hadn't given them the keys. I'm not sure how he thought it got lost in their parking lot if they didn't have the keys. He was quite a fellow - not too bright. I immediately called the manager to complain about this incident because we had had about enough of their goofy valet parking and he was very accommodating. He actually contradicted the valet's story and said the policeman had checked our plates because none of them knew why our car was parked there and so they thought it was illegally parked, but had then realized that we were guests in the hotel and nothing was amiss. He had no idea why the valet had told us that. Well, you get the picture, the whole valet parking thing was just a ridiculously disorganized mess. The manager did give us free parking again and took $30 off our room that night, which was appreciated. Unfortunately, our stay had a lot of aggravation for one short weekend. The location is terrific, but they also charge over $10 per 24 hours for internet. Who does that anymore? And you can order frozen (Freschetta) pizza sent up to your room...come on, I can get that at home. We like to stay at Hilton hotels because of our Hilton Honors account, but we are both pretty sure that we'll try a Hampton Inn the next time. The bedding and amenities at a Hampton Inn are many notches above this particular Embassy Suites. Anyway, if you decide to stay there, take my advice: park your own car.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
SW Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in the Old Market District when my husband was in Omaha on business. The location was perfect. I could walk to the Old Market District yet driving to the zoo, gardens or Joselyn Museum easy as well. The hotel staff treated me like royalty, doing everything they could to make our stay pleasing. We would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Omaha.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

Lobby is nice--fountains with streams that have real fish (some of the fish are huge!).

The primary reason for staying here is location. It is right across the street from the Old Market area. It's probably the only one of the nicer hotels in the downtown area that is within an easy, safe walking distance. Maybe it's fine walking to/from the other hotels but since I don't know the city at all, I wouldn't want to be walking alone at night for more than 5-10 mins.

My only major complaint about the hotel is that the furnishings are a bit dated. The tables/chairs, couches, cabinets and TVs could use a refresh. Also, it kinda sucks that you have to pay for parking and wifi. I could understand having to pay for parking in the downtown area of a major city. But downtown Omaha is basically a ghost town and land must be dirt cheap around here; I shouldn't have to pay for parking.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
santa cruz california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times because my father lives in an old brownstone next to it. You cannot beat the location, the free breakfast and the manager's reception in the evening. That being said , it lacks in other areas. We arrived at Eppley Airfield ( I had called the night before about the shuttle from the airport to the hotel. They were very gracius and said they would put it down we were arriving and to expect a call from us. I called when we landed and was told it would be 15 min. 40 minutes later, the shuttle was not there so we took a cab ($13). It was about 6:30pm when we checked in. There was one person working at the front desk who had to answer the phone and check people in. I found this irritating after the no show on the shuttle=-we waited about 20 miinutes in line to check in and there was only one person in front of us. Our room had a lot of wear and tear-buckled carpet, rip in the bedskirt, cigarette hole in the curtain. My son went to take a shower-he likes to use the hotel's shampoo and conditioner but there were none, only mouthwash and lotion. I saw a housekeeping cart and found it myself on it. We went to the pool the next day and the pool definitely has seen cleaner days. The bottom was dirty and the water was merky.
The beds were comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I also like the two rooms.
Maybe it was just the time for these little things to go wrong because in the past, things were better. I have stayed in better rooms at the hotel. There are lots of other choices nearby but none have the location that the Embassy Suites has. The hotel seemed packed. I don't think it is because a lack of customers but maybe the staff has been cut back in a cost savings attempt.
We will return to Omaha in February for a Creighton BB game at theQwest. Maybe we will try one of the newer places along Cummings or stay at the Hilton if the rates are better. If they are the same, then we will return to the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market? Share your experiences!