“Time for capital improvements” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Family Fun package
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Omaha
Kansas City, Missouri
“Time for capital improvements”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Let me first say, that I am originally from the Omaha area, and I travel back to area for about 50 hotel nights a year. This is the first time that I have stayed at this hotel and I know that the hotel is not that old. I did book the room through an auction site, so I try to be considerate of the property based upon the price paid for the room.

So... Let's get started.

I parked the car in self parking as the front area was very busy. This location is about 1-1/2 blocks from the main entrance, and I seen an door at the back of the facility. Upon getting my luggage to this door, I found that it was a card key only door. So, I did end up having to walk all the way around to the front. I was insulted the next morning to find out that this parking area cost $12.00.

Upon checking in, there was not enough people at the front counter. People were barging to the front of the line. I did find the staff friendly, and they did have everything ready for my visit.

I was assigned room 132. I went to the room, and seen that it was less then 20' from the bar. My thought on this was, "well, that the price you pay for booking on an auction site", and then I entered the room. The amount of cigarette smoke in the room was overwhelming. It drove my sinuses nuts. I still in the room for the 30 seconds before going back up to the front counter to decline the room.

After about a 10 minute meeting with management, and they seemed upset that I had declined the room. I was put in room 527. I went to the elevator and 1 of the 3 elevator shafts was being service, so their was quite a wait.

Upon entering 527, it seemed ok, at first. Again, I go back to my auction site comment, and I expect to have a "B" or "C" room for the price I paid. I noted that the cushions on the sofa did not match, the return air screen was full of junk, the tile in the shower was broken, and the corners of the carpet were very dirty. Sleep quality was good. The climate control struggled to get to my set point, but after about 3 hours it was finally comfortable. This was definately a "C" or "D" room.

So, I logged into the internet only to find that this was an additional charge. I'm sorry, but back in the year 2000... you could charge for internet. I haven't had a hotel in the last 4 years that I have had to pay for internet. Not cool.

It is very true that my title, "Time for capital improvements" is the best thing that I can say about this hotel. There needs to be a walkway to the parking lot. The rooms need to be completely overhauled and updated.

I find a lot of really nice properties and a lot of duds when I use Priceline or Hotwire, as per my reviews of other properties. I had my expectations pretty high for a hotel located in the old market as I usually get hotels by the ballpark or Council Bluffs. However, I would have to classify this hotel as a dud.

Oh, now you want me to pay for breakfast, too? No thanks, I'm sorry.... I'm out of here.

Room Tip: Try to get higher floors. The first and second floors are the business parts of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Kim O, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas where we haven’t met our guests’ expectations. I would like to apologize for the condition of your room. Your comfort is a top priority for us, and I am sorry we were not up to par. In regards to the internet charge, at this time the Embassy Suites brand is only offering complementary Wi-Fi to our Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond Members. While there are many hotels in the city of Omaha which offer complementary parking, all hotels in the Downtown/Old Market area do currently charge for parking. As to breakfast, we offer Complimentary Cooked-to-Order Breakfast. You should not have been charged for breakfast as this is a complimentary amenity we offer to all of our guests. I apologize again for the experience you had while staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Very outdated and smelly rooms. Cockroach (live) found in the bathroom. Neither of the two TVs worked - had to be turned on manually and even then, channels couldn't be changed manually or by remote. Internet access was awful - ok to check emails but couldn't stream video (to replace aforementioned TVs), phones in the room were very crackly, couldn't be used for conference calls.

Staff was incredibly friendly and they did credit my stay (I booked another hotel for remainder of my stay in Omaha). They offered to change rooms but given all the problems and that cockroaches don't stay in one room only, I went ahead and checked out early and moved to another hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the negative experience during your recent stay. I can understand how distressing it must have been, and I am pleased we were able to efficiently refund your money. I am sorry that you needed to move to another location. Of course all of the appropriate departments have been notified of these issues so that they can be corrected and retrained.. I would like to apologize again for your experience staying with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had a 2 room suite with 5 females for my daughters best friends birthday. The suite was amazing as was the staff. Every time we called for anything they were right there with it. The only disappointing issue was having to pay $18 per day for parking. Otherwise the hotel and area are amazing and I will stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback. I am glad to hear your experience with our staff was excellent. Service and Comfort are our top priorities at Embassy Suites and we are pleased those helped to enhance your guest experience. We are flattered that you chose to celebrate your friend’s birthday with us. It sounds as though you were able to make it across the street to the Old Market. There is always so much to do in the Old Market, and it is perfect for a birthday celebration. Thank you again for your review of our hotel. We hope to see you next time!
Grand Junction, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed here for a family reunion over the weekend. The Embassy Suites was very accommodating. They took care of our reception one of the nights and the food was incredible. The location was great and the breakfast was satisfying. I was pretty disappointed, however, with the service. Two employees (the bar tender and a breakfast attendant) were very polite and helpful; unfortunately the rest were less than mediocre. It was also incredibly humid in our room. I was more comfortable outside than I was when I was in my room because it felt so soggy. I am not sure if this is an ongoing issue or if it was just during our stay. I will also say that I have stayed at a few different Embassy Suites and this was by far the most dated. Some updating would be nice.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I would like to apologize for the level of customer service you experienced while you were with us. I would also like to apologize for the humidity in your room. I know the humidity can be uncomfortable. I am pleased to hear other aspects of your stay with us were pleasant. Our kitchen does deliver delicious food. It is great to hear your family reunion went well. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel. I hope that the next time you are in Omaha you will stay with us again so that we can show you that service and comfort are our top priorities.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Business stay and I've gotta say...the arrival and departure shuttle makes this place so easy to get to and from the airport. The location is down the street from plenty of restaurants and bars. Will definitely be staying at this location again and also recommend to others heading to Omaha

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It is fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay at Embassy Suites. I am pleased you enjoyed your guest suite as well as the many complimentary amenities we offer. Service and comfort are our top priorities at Embassy Suites and we are pleased those helped to enhance your guest experience. Omaha is a beautiful city with amazing and exciting things to experience, and with the Old Market right across the street from our hotel you have shopping, restaurants, art and entertainment at your fingertips. Thank you again for writing a review of our hotel. We hope you see you here again.
Des Moines, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We wanted someplace special to stay for our anniversary in Omaha and had once visited this Embassy Suites when relatives were staying there. We liked the location and friendliness of the hotel staff and were very satisfied with our experience there.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Kim O, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am glad you had a wonderful time and I am pleased you chose to celebrate such an important event with us! We always try to make our guests as comfortable as possible and to provide assistance with anything they may need. We look forward to seeing you the next time you want to stay downtown. I also would like to wish you many more happy anniversaries.
Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We usually are big fans of the Embassy Suites chain. While our stay was ok, they definitely fell short in some areas. The location of this hotel can't be beat. Our girls enjoyed the open atrium with all of the fish too. Breakfast was good and the manager's reception was ok. Overall, the place was ok and we would probably stay again because of the location. Here is what they could improve on. The entire hotel is very dated and just seemed kind of dirty. When we checked into our room, there was either vomit, blood, or another bodily fluid on our bathroom floor and all over behind the toilet. It was disgusting. And, the carpet in the room seemed to be quite dirty. My daughters didn't have shoes on for a bit and within an hour, the bottoms of their feet were black. Gross. Breakfast gets over too early during the week. 9:00 is not reasonable for families. We were there for 4 days, and the pool was closed for 2 of the 4 days. So, we had to take a shuttle one night to swim at another hotel. The pool at that hotel was awful. This was pretty inconvenient for us with a 2 and 4 year old. The guy that checked us in was not friendly at all. I tried to ask him a few questions and he just seemed really put out by having to say anything but his normal check in speech. The rest of the front desk staff was pretty nice, although when I informed them of our dirty bathroom, no apology was offered. On a positive note, the valet guys were great! They gave us rides to our destinations and were very friendly. Overall, we were pretty disappointed. This place needs a face lift and a good deep cleaning. Not the type of experience we have come to expect from an Embassy Suites.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kim O, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests, including places of improvement. I would like to apologize for your experience while you were with us this last time. I know the pool being closed is an inconvenience for our guests, especially those with families. The chlorine levels in the pool were off for a few days and we did not feel it was safe to let our guests into the pool. I am sorry the pool you were able to use at the other hotel was not good. I have forwarded your comments regarding your room to my Executive Housekeeper. Of course, your experience with your room was unacceptable. I will also be speaking with our Front Office Manager regarding the gentleman who checked you in. It is not an inconvenience for us to get you any and all information you may need or want, and he should not have made you feel that way. Thank you again for writing a review of your recent stay with us. We do hope to see you again on your next trip to Omaha.

Been to Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market? Share your experiences!