“Very good for families, just short of fabulous” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Family Fun package
Ranked #22 of 74 Hotels in Omaha
Minneapolis, MN
“Very good for families, just short of fabulous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Really wanted to give a 5 rating here since there are things about the hotel that we really loved, but for the price there were a few things I felt really needed to be better to rate at a 5. For reference, we stayed a Friday and Saturday night in July and paid $159/nt (the advertised price was $199, but we had an online discount code). The nearest comparable hotels were in the $109 - $129 range.

The Great:
LOCATION: As many other reviewers have noted, the location really cannot be beat. I had never been to Omaha before and was thinking “how much difference could 4-5 blocks make in Omaha?”, as it turns out, quite a bit. Being literally right across the street from Old Market was fantastic. The hotel is also a short walk from parks, walking distance to the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge and literally right down the road from the Henry Doorly Omaha Zoo. I would definitely pay more for the location.

COMMON AREAS: The common areas of the hotel are beautiful and interesting – especially if you have kids. Our daughter loved the ponds and streams with fish running throughout the inside courtyards (typical of what you would expect from an Embassy Suites).

CHECKOUT TIME: Sounds like such a minor thing, but the checkout time is noon, which meant we were able to take our time in the morning and get in an extra trip to the pool. With so many hotels seemingly trying to get people out earlier and earlier, a noon checkout time was nice.

The Good:
POOL: The pool water was warm and the hot tub was actually hot. There was also a sauna, which is not very common to find these days. It was also nice to be able to sit out in the adjoining patio and enjoy a beer in the fresh air while still keeping an eye on our daughter while she was swimming.

ROOM: The rooms are nice because you have a separate bedroom and living area, again, a plus if you have kids. The shower had hot water, good water pressure and six settings on the shower head. The bed was comfortable and the pull-out bed was adequate. Our room was very clean but dated. The rooms could definitely use a face lift. The carpet was tired and furniture looked like it was from the mid-80’s. Definitely not what I would expect at this price point. The rooms did have a wet-bar, mini-fridge and microwave, which were pluses.

FITNESS/GYM: It had one, so that’s good. It was clean, also good. Several very nice elliptical machines and treadmills, and assortment of dumbbells, but that was about it.

FREE HAPPY HOUR: The free happy hour was good. You have a limited choice of beverages, which is the only reason I didn't feel it was great. Beer choices were tap Miller Lite or tap Leinie's. I also saw people getting Bloody Mary's and screwdrivers with rail vodka. I wasn't expecting top-shelf liquor by any means, but my wife ordered two different drinks they were unable to make before settling on a Miller Lite. To the bar’s credit the beer did seem fresh and was darn cold. If you are wondering about the “snacks” that are provided during happy hour, they consisted of chex mix, chips and salsa. Again, can’t complain for free, but don’t expect to be eating anything that will fill you up.

The “Meh”:
BREAKFAST: Breakfast had it’s good and bad, but overall was just okay. Having cook-to-order breakfast is nice, but do they really need to make you stand in line if what you want is as simple as pancakes or bacon? I didn't understand why they couldn't put out bacon in the buffet area along with the sausage, scrambled eggs and hash browns. Same thing with pancakes – the cooked to order pancakes were nothing to write home about, they could have just put them out for folks to grab. In addition to what has already been mentioned they had muffins, toast, cereal, cantaloupe, honeydew and a few other things. We did not have a cooked-to-order omelet, so I can’t say if they are worth the wait in line or not. Overall, the breakfast is about average.

The Bad:
PARKING: It’s sort of a mess everywhere downtown Omaha, and this hotel is not an exception. It always annoys me when a hotel charges extra for parking, especially when the parking is such a cluster. You have your choice of valet parking for $16/day or self-parking for $10/day. We chose self-parking which meant we had to park our car across the street. And the street is on the opposite end from the hotel’s main entrance. That was bad enough, but the really annoying part is that you have to push a buzzer each time you want to get into the parking lot and then give someone your name and room number through a speaker, at which point they buzz you in. It’s a real nuisance.

INTERNET: Internet was $10.95/day. I used the free internet in the business center once and my phone for everything else. I couldn't justify paying $22 for 36 hours of internet.

All-in-all I am sure we will be back to the Embassy Suites if we ever find ourselves in Omaha again. However, I do hope the rooms have been updated if we are ever back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Julie C, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review of our hotel! We love the feedback! I love to hear from first time "Omaha" visitors! We are proud of our "Old Market" area and glad to hear you enjoyed it and our other proud moments like our Zoo! Love it when the kids have fun with the fish. My own kids think that is definitely the best thing about my work. We do realize the need to renovate and update! Yes, we have some renovations scheduled and I hope they will be done for your return! I'm sorry about the breakfast and the waiting in line can be difficult especially with children. We do understand that parking can be challenging in Downtown Omaha. I was sorry to hear your room key would not at least let you in the parking lot. That would be an inconvenience! Please let us know on your next stay so we can fix that! Thanks again, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our city!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed here for an extended period of time and didn't encounter any major negative issues. Actually enjoyed the place especially for its location: just across the street from the Old Market area and a short walk to the river front.

The front desk staff were all professional and pleasant. The valet staff were all nice, but we had to wait for some time for a staff member one day, and found him chatting inside with someone, but that was the one minor wrinkle for more than a week's stay. The free breakfast was good and basic. The omelette cook was always good and nice. Only tried the manager's (afternoon) reception once, wasn't crazy about it, but it was popular with people. Also ordered room service once and was satisfied, they seem to be changing their wine list and they were out of most of the listed wines, the lady had to come up to the room to show the new wine list- she was nice and very pleasant.

We were in the executive level, and had the added bonus of having free water, sodas, chips, candies etc. The room with a separate bedroom was sufficiently sized. Slept tightly, the pillows were too soft for my taste though. The hotel itself is dated, definitely not fancy or modern. They do have a pond/brook with gorgeous koi/s running throughout the reception level.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much of your kind review of our hotel. We appreciate you staying with us for your extended stay! I'm so happy you were able to take advantage of all the services we offer. We are in the process of updating our wine and Room Service Menu. Thank you for your patience! We do realize the need for some updates and we do have some scheduled in the near future. Thank you for your loyalty and I hope we can serve you again!
Kimberling City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at this facility for 2 nights. It was our first time staying at an Embassy Suites. There were 4 of us in the room and housekeeping kept setting the room for 2 people not 4. The pull out sofa bed mattress needs to be replaced, badly!

I don't know if the hotel supplied the banquet meals but they were a great disappointment. We had to order pizza after one meal.

While sitting in the lobby lounge area, we watched several mice at play. When it was reported to the staff, they replied that yes they knew about it and had set out traps. Not very reassuring since it was right next to the breakfast location.

The location is it's biggest draw. And I agree that the Old Market area is a great place to explore. I'm just not sure it's location makes up for the other issues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very sorry we were not able to meet even your basic expectations that you would expect from Embassy Suites - Omaha. I have spoken to the appropriate departments concerning housekeeping and the mice at play. I'm sorry your visit was not as enjoyable as I know we are capable of providing! We value your feedback and your loyalty. I am happy you were able to enjoy the Old Market and I hope one day we can serve you again and Make it Right!
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel staff is very helpful and the rooms are what you would expect in an Embassy Suites Hotel. The Manager's reception and breakfast were also excellent.

The best thing about this hotel is it's location. It is convenient to the Old Market, which is a great collection of small stores and restaurants. It is also within walking distance of TD Ameritrade Park where the College World Series is played and other museums.

They also provide transportation to the airport and virtually anywhere else you would want to visit.

All in all, the combination of the hotel's staff and location made our trip a very pleasurable one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel! I'm so glad you both enjoyed your stay and we were able to serve you! It is our pleasure! Wonderful to hear you were able to see our "historic Old Market" district. Yes, we are proud of our College World Series Stadium and our Park. I hope you can come back again enjoy the services we have to offer!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is REALLY REALLY convenient to Old Market. I've never been to Omaha and with the limited amount of time there, I decided to stay near the Old Market based on some coworkers recommendation. WOW! Really love this area. You walk across the street and choose from various restaurants and cafes.
As far as the hotel goes - with what most contributors have said - the rooms need updating. It's generally clean and the staff are friendly. Free breakfast was "meh" but what do you expect for FREE? Really, the best thing going for this place is location, location, location.

Apparently the Mertz Family were pivotal in keeping this area the way it was 100 years ago. Buildings around this area are brick with cast iron work, some with what looks like original advertisements. The streets around old market are laid with brick. It was such a nice surprise to see great architecture and history in the area. As I was walking around, I can imagine how life was back in the days.

This area is safe for a female to walk around alone at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Julie C, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and your review of our hotel! I love to hear about people visiting Omaha for the first time. We are very proud of our Historic "Old Market" Thank you for taking the time to see it! We are mindful of the need to renovate and update areas in our hotel and we have several projects scheduled for this year. Thanks so much for the feedback and we hope you can visit and stay with us again in the future!
Caledonia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Excellent facility, staff and accomidations. I have stayed several times and have never been disappointed. Rooms are quiet and spacious, food is good and shops, bars and restaurants all within walking distance.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your kind review of Embassy Suites Omaha - Old Market! Thank you as well, for choosing to stay with us when you are in town. It makes me happy we can make your stay enjoyable and you are able to take advantage of our location and the services we have to offer with the level of service one should expect from Embassy Suites! Thanks again, please let us know if we can do anything to make your stay more even more comfortable in the future!
Central City, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times. The room size, complimentary breakfast and manager's reception, and location just can't be beat. It is within walking distance to the Durham Museum, the Old Market, and the CenturyLink Center. There are many dining options in the Old Market area. It is also a short drive from the Henry Doorly Zoo.

My son left his iPad in the room after our last visit. I was so relieved when I called and the cleaning staff had turned it into lost and found. They kept it locked in a safe area until we were able to make arrangements to have it picked up. I was very impressed with the professional and helpful way this situation was handled.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words and positive review of our hotel! We appreciate your loyalty in staying with us at Embassy Suites Omaha - Old Market and I'm so happy you and your family are able to take advantage of our location and the services we have to offer! I was really glad to hear we took care of your sons IPad for you and you were able to get it back with no difficulties. Thanks again and we look forward to serving you and yours in the future!

Been to Embassy Suites Omaha Downtown/Old Market? Share your experiences!