“Remodeled But Still Very Tired” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Points Package
Ranked #27 of 74 Hotels in Omaha
Fort Calhoun, Nebraska
“Remodeled But Still Very Tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I've stayed at all the Hilton and most of the Marriott properties downtown. Although this looks like it could be a Hilton flagship (right after the Hilton attached to convention center) it is just too old and tired to live up to that standard. The renovation helped a lot, but at some point you just can't fix everything and there are signs of age pretty much everywhere you look. Having said that, my room was clean and the customer service was very good. During one stay, the power at my office building was knocked out so asked for a lte check out to work from my room. Not only did I get that, but the general manager told me he would personally find me a psace to work if necessary. I would stay here again, but as a third choice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Fayetteville, AR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have been coming to Omaha for about 3 nights a week every week and have been to all the Hilton hotels around downtown/old market area, and this hotel has been my second/third choice when it comes to a hotel in Downtown Omaha.

I have to say the building is on the older side, but the recent renovation really helped a lot. The rooms are new and up-to-date (compared to my stays around October of 2011). The service at the front desk is good, the staff (mostly) are friendly, but nothing extraordinary.

I'm, however, a little disappointed on the change of the Diamond benefits. Last year, Diamond members usually get one coupon (per day) for breakfast and a few coupons for drinks at the bar. This has sadly changed. You now only get ONE coupon per night, and you have to CHOOSE either a breakfast, a drink at the bar, or a Starbucks coffee from the little coffee shop in the lobby. This change really affects my decision to stay here again.

So I chose breakfast instead of a drink, and I ordered a steak and egg. It took about 15 to 20 minutes for the food to arrive, and the steak was mostly inedible. It was overcooked (even though I ordered a medium well), and it tasted weird and sour! I believe the meat was bad. I let the server know, but I told her not to worry about it because I needed to get to work.
The second morning I had the breakfast buffet, and it was just okay.
However, the servers/waitresses are very nice and friendly.

I did not have a chance to use their shuttle service on this visit, but on my last visit here (October 2012) , the shuttle service was very slow as they only had one shuttle bus running!

There is not microwave or a fridge in the room, but you can request one and they will put them in the room for you. The bed is very comfortable as you would expected from a Hilton hotel.

To sum everything up, the rooms are decent, the service is good, most staff are friendly, but it is a little appointing about the policy change on the Diamond benefits.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a microwave and/or a fridge if you need them. If your room is facing South, then...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
TULSD, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Omaha - Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for your tripadvisor survey, we are glad you stayed with us an that our renovation efforts were well received by you. Please come back soon, our team is looking forward to welcoming you back and we have our warm chocolate chip walnut cookies ready for you!

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

In the past year, having stayed at over 30 Hillton properties, on both business and personal travel, I was very disappointed with the customer service at the front desk. I was treated like a "second class citizen" because I was traveling on corporate business being billed directly to my employer. Even though I am a Diamond member, I was refused the right to use my credit card to charge anything to my room and denied all Diamond benefits. This was a first for me. The attitude of the people at the front desk was less than friendly. This is not the Hilton superb quality that I have become accustomed to and this is one Hilton property that I would never recommend to anyone. One bright note, Taylor, in the dining room was super. He was courteous and professional and went out of his way to make my dining experience pleasant.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear YelloRose50,

Thank you for your feedback, we pride ourselves having renovated our hotel recently and delivering highest levels of customer service to our guests, I am dissapointed to read we failed you. I would like the opportunity to make this right, please give me a call or email me so we can fix this.

Thank you, you can reach me at stephan.meier@hilton.com or call me at 402-636-4947.
Look forward to speaking to you...Stephan and team Omaha
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have stayed in Doubltrees Hotels before and I remember the hotels being of high quality. This Doubletree was average at best. Prior to arrival, I contacted the hotel and spoke with Rebecca (whose professionalism and friendliness was outstanding), to ensure that a shuttle bus would be at the airport in a timely fashion to pick up our party, as we were attending a wedding. I was instructed to contact the hotel, if the shuttle was not at the airport. I contacted the hotel and was told the shuttle bus would be there in 20 minutes, however it was approximately 35 minutes before the shuttle showed up. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable, however it seemed like they had a skeletal staff working on Memorial weekend. There was only one person working behind the desk when our party arrived on a Saturday afteroon, and a line of people were waiting to be checked in. The restaurant appeared completely unoccupied during our entire trip; they offered a brunch buffet for $15/per person, and the food was just "okay". Unfortunately, where the hotel is located, there are not many options of alternate restaurants. We were in need of a few hygenic products that were left behind and we were told that the Gift Store would have these items, but they did not. And again, the location of the hotel presented a problem, as the closest convenience store to purchase these products was about 5 blocks away.

Room Tip: Have your own transportation, restaurants, convenience stores, etc are not close by.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
TULSD, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Omaha - Downtown, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your survey comments, we appreciate your business over the slow Memorial Day weekend. Due to low holiday business levels in a downtown setting we have indeed reduced our staffing levels and we are sorry to learn this impacted our complimentary shuttle transportation.

We look forward to having you back soon, please let me know when travel takes you back to Omaha.

Kind Regards,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

When I arrived at the hotel I got informed I had to pay for parking per day, which was very incovient concedering the parking garage was full the whole time I had to walk 2 blocks up be up all night stressin about someone breaking windows on the strreet. Then I gave them my cc to put a hold on 50$ which the man said nope they held 65$ which was not authorized. Get into the room nice clean....until I went to shower foot prints all over the floor of the bath tub that came off with clorox wipes. I asked for clean linens then guest services VERY rude telling me come get them if you want them, Amber is VERY RUDE also as I was getting in the shower they didn't have any soap or anything in my room. Then all nite all you heard is dogs barking kind of obnoxious for such a hotel. Probably least to say will never go back atleast never pay for a room at this hotel due to HORRIBLE customer service, and mislead!

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Gd5e,

Thank you for your feedback, we are very sorry to learn you did not like your stay experience. I would love the opportunity to make this right for you and invite you to contact me, so we can fix this.

My cell is 972.369.6238 and my email is stephan,meier@hilton.com. I am unable to identify you based on the Dd5e profile name, but look forward to the opportunty to make this right.

WIth kind regards,
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I thought maybe the reviewers were not really being fair. Wrong. I was wrong. Talk about a face lift in need, it's here! Poor Doubletree, and the only hotel of size downtown Omaha, really a shame. Will not stay here again even though convenient and will choose another chain here. These old DTree and Hiltons in midsized towns really need help. A/C sounds like a freight train in the three rooms I tried. Linens, etc very old and worn. Staff is nice, but not empowered to do anything really.

Room Tip: Rooms with A/C (all of them) are super loud when the A/C is on.....ridiculous even after the mainten...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
TULSD, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Omaha - Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments, we are very sorry to learn that you feel our hotel is run down, we completed a nearly $20 Million dollar renovation, all hotel rooms are completely renovated, also all bathrooms, all linen is new....your observations are surprising and we are dissapointed that you had a bad experience. Please kindly contact me and I would love the opportunity to review your guest room AC unit and make this right.

I look forward to your email or call me, stephan,meier@hilton,com or 402-636-4947

Many thanks, Stephan
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My stay was average. Clean hotel and clean rooms, but there was a couple things wrong with our room. Phone wasnt plugged in, sink hot water handle was unscrewed, and our lamp on the desk didnt work. Clean rooms, great tv channels, great AC, very comfortable beds.d I will say that Stacy at the front desk provided us with great service and the Omaha fire department appreciated the extra cookies Stacy gave us. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Check priceline for great prices. We stayed on a thursday night and got a great rate.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your great travel feedback on tripadvisor, we are glad to see we met your expectations and that the staff was kind and helpful. Many thanks for your comments and we do look forward to having you back soon.
Stephan & team Omaha

Been to Doubletree Hotel Omaha - Downtown? Share your experiences!