“Diamond in the Rough” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 70 hotels in Omaha
Dakota Dunes, South Dakota
“Diamond in the Rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My friends and I had a girls weekend recently with a Groupon I purchased for Hotel Deco XV. From outside the hotel appearance was a little disappointing, but the lady helping at greeted me with a warm welcome smile. Inside was amazing. Very swanky decor, modern, and classy. The same lady helped me to my room and talked so enthusiastically about the hotel. She gave me a tour of the room, which was amazing!! I could have spent the entire day just in the shower with 8 jets! Hardwood floors and beautiful contemporary decor. Exactly how I would want my own bedroom to look. The bar area was also beautiful and again all the staff was friendly and accommodating. The bar was actually closed and she opened it just to make me a cocktail. My friends and I enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back. I wouldn't recommend taking small children. It is more of a romantic get away or one with your friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Mason, Mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I chose this hotel randomly, based on TripAdvisor reviews & a truly discounted rate on Travelocity. Hotel Deco is a beautifully appointed historic hotel. My room was amazing, comfortable, spacious, and very quiet. The multi-jet shower was a welcome feature after having driven halfway across the state, and the hotel's location just at the edge of Omaha's Oldtown was convenient for walking to restuarants and shops. And the room service was divine. I've attached a picture of the room service meal I ordered the first night I arrived -- it was one of the most delicious salads I've ever had and the stuffed figs alone were well worth my stay at the hotel!
This place has gotten some negative reviews on TripAdvisor (noise, service, etc.) but I had none of those problems at all. All the staff were quite attentive and the service was fast & well-done. I'll go back again with my husband when we visit Omaha later in the year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side that faces away from the popular nightclub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Le Mars, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Our room was across the street from a bar that had people partying outside until after 2:45 a.m. It was as if they were in the next room and was horrible! We have never stayed in a hotel this bad for noise. Then when we went to get our car in the morning the valet told us that one of the tires of our car had a puncture and was flat. We have a new vehicle and when we drove to the hotel and had them park it, there was no problem with the tires. They have valet parking and we don't know where they park the cars and could this have happened somewhere remotely where they put our car?

Room Tip: Never stay in this hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Phenomenal service from Michael, Victroia, Leah, Tyrone, Jim, Patrick, and the rest of the team. In addition, before we had even figured out we had left a phone charger they called and let us know they would mail it to our home. They are all so friendly and helpful. Plus, I hear that Leah is a great Zumba instructor! Absolutely loved the 6 jet shower and unique decor. Walking distance to Old Market shops and resturants.

Room Tip: 4th floor was a little loud...ask to be on a higher level if you don't want to hear late night p...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Omaha, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I had a one night stay here last night- the staff was friendly and accommodating - We first had a room on the 5th floor and the street noise was quite loud- and since I'm a light sleeper, I called and asked for a fan- they moved us to the 10th floor instead and it seemed much quieter. Before we went out, we stopped a The Zin room for a drink within the hotel. Nice bar and I had a great cucumber mixed drink. Next we went to dinner and the hotel shuttle took us to the restaurant and picked us up later from a bar. It's a 24 hour courtesy shuttle for downtown- pretty awesome! But when we came back to sleep - I got woken up quite a few times from the train, a couple of ambulances, and the bar down below- drunken people at 2:30 in the morning happily talking very loudly and yelling. It's amazing you could hear it all so clearly on the 10th floor! The windows appear to be original - I'm not sure- but they seem old and single-paned. Although I can see why they kept them- it's not for a light sleeper. They could benefit from some double-paned new ones that block out much more of the street noise. So, even though the room is clean, the bed comfortable, and the interior of the hotel is relatively quiet - it was a rough night. The next morning made up a little for the lack of sleep with a fantastic shower! There is a great large shower head on top, six mini body ones on a vertical panel, and then a hand-held mini shower head - but the handheld made a loud squeaky sound so we didn't use that one - but not necessary with all the other options- pretty nice. Since the staff and the room and the amenities were fantastic, I wish I could give it 5 stars, but the whole point of a hotel for me in the end is a good night's sleep - and I didn't get that with all the street noise. This is Omaha, not New York- it should not be that loud- and other Omaha hotels are not that loud with the street noise. If they replaced the windows - 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Entire staff from valet to front desk to drivers to restaurant staff are engaging,friendly, and helpful.
Rooms are very large and beautifully decorated. Wood floors, beautiful area rugs, draperies, bedding etc. Bathroom and shower were outstanding. The bed and pillows were awesome.There were six large windows in our suite that we could open a small ways for fresh air.
The restaurant Zin Room had delicious food and an exceptional staff. Our waiter Selena was new but made great suggestions, was friendly, and we felt we were her only table even though we saw her taking care of an entire section. Have a side of smokey mac and cheese and the onion rings. Great. The hotel offers transportation throughout the Old Market and I heard some guests going to the casinos. This is offered 24 hours. Both of our drivers were friendly, prompt, and knowledgeable.
We returned from an event around 11 pm and the desk said the lobby bar was getting ready to close. However, Faith offered to stay open and made a new drink for us that she had created with pineapple vodka.She did not rush us and made friendly conversation.
We were upgraded to a suite due to our membership in I Prefer. Living area was great with comfortable chairs, wet bar, desk, etc.
We ordered room service for breakfast. It arrived in about 15 minutes. The omelet was tasty with lots of ham. If you even remotely like oatmeal you have to try the banana bread oatmeal. Oatmeal with maple syrup ,brown sugar, and bananas.The size of the dish is astounding. Clearly enough for 4 people. It is fabulous.
This is a hidden treasure for people in Omaha wanting a special night away from home or travelers. We peeked in on a couple or regular rooms with 2 queen beds and they were huge.
The staff at this hotel is over the top. That combined with the beautiful spacious rooms, great food,and transportation makes it a winner for us. We will be back.

Room Tip: sign up for I prefer and you will get a free upgrade if available, early check in and late check out...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Let me preface this by saying that as someone who stays in different hotel every night for work, I have very rarely run across one that stands out from the rest the way this one did. I almost never write reviews for places my company pays for.
Though the building may be old, the rooms are anything but. The feel of the hotel is very upscale, without the snootieness you get from certain other higher class chain hotels. The staff is very friendly and helpful, from the valet to the housekeeping personnel who always took the time to say hello and ask me how my stay was going. They were very modest when I asked about their workout facility, saying that it was “okay.” However, when I investigated for myself it was more than adequate, with cardio equipment and free weights. The only thing that it lacked in my opinion was a pull-up bar of some sort. Despite having their own facilities, they also have an agreement with the local, and convenient, YMCA. It is a short 4 blocks away, but they will take you there and pick you up (in case you are just feeling to lazy to walk to your workout). They also have a free shuttle too and from the airport that is 24 hours and on demand (meaning it does not keep a set schedule).
Now the rooms. They are very upscale and modern as well as large and open, although I am told every room is different. Mine had a large comfortable chair for lounging and a smallish desk, however it served it's purpose. I also had a flat screen TV and a small refrigerator. Keeping with the modern theme the floors were hard wood, which was very nice as I could see that they were clean and I did not feel I had to walk around in my sandals. (Anyone who has stayed in a hotel with carpet will understand that the bottoms of your feet get very dirty on carpeted hotel floors when you don't wear shoes.) They also provide a couple pairs of bedroom shoes in the dresser for those late night trips to the ice machine. Very comfortable beds with firm but soft pillows, if that makes sense.
That brings me to the bathroom. Mine was a bit on the small side with a single vanity. Still very modern, however, with high end fixtures and cabinetry. On the toilet it was a little awkward to reach the tissue that was almost behind me, but that was easy enough to take off and put on the counter within easy reach. But the piece-de-resistance of the bathroom was definitely the shower. It made up for the very few short comings of the rest of the bathroom. It had 6 body jets, a hand shower, and an overhead shower that was plenty tall for my 6'4” frame to fit under (this is an issue at some hotels). Apparently they do have these in every room. I probably spent about 25 to 30 min in the shower just playing with all the different options.
I did not go to the hotel restaurant or bars, so I can't speak about them. However they did offer us a buy one get one free coupon at check in for one of the bars.
For a hotel that is convenient to downtown and the airport it does not seem that you can go wrong here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Deco XV? Share your experiences!