“Homestyle Cooking in Omaha” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Smiths Grove, Kentucky
“Homestyle Cooking in Omaha”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am new in the Omaha area and co-worker suggested we eat at the Farm House Cafe for lunch. She sent me their website address so I could check out the menu. The Farm House Cafe could be described as a diner serving food similar to Bob Evans and/or Cracker Barrel. As another reviewer wrote "it is not fancy but tasty."

A hostess seated us. I did find the restaurant noisy and the tables close together. Thus it was easy to hear the conversation of those eating on either side of us. Our waitress was friendly and gave us time to look at the menu. The summer specials were not listed on the website. Took me a bit time to check those out.

My co-worker ordered the chicken strips (chicken tenders) basket which consisted of five chicken tenders, french fries, and dipping sauce. The fries looked ordinary but she let me sample the chicken tenders. The chicken tenders were not greasy. I don't know if they were friend or baked but any case I liked them. Visually they were varying shades of brown and looked somewhat prickly. As you bit into them you first experienced crunch followed by a soft/tender center. The chicken consisted of white meat which easily pulled apart. The tenders were not in any way processed. Product quality was high.

When I see country fried steak I like to check it out. So I ordered the country fried steak which was served on top of a slice of white bread. The white bread was thick and just to save calories I chose not to eat the white bread. Visually the platter was not attractive. The country friend steak looked dry and one side of the chicken fried steak was curled upward. I found the steak somewhat dry but not overly dry. The sausage gravy helped to add moisture. Both the gravy and country fried steak had two distinct flavors. The gravy was white.

Next to the country fried stead was a scoop of mashed potatoes with white gravy. Paprika had been sprinkled on the gravy. The potatoes were warm not hot. I thought the potatoes had a great consistency and a distinctive taste. It was positive taste. I would have been happy with my friend's chicken tenders and my potatoes.

Canned corn was placed alongside my potatoes and country fried steak. I am not a fan of canned corn. I wish I had asked for something else.

I prefer more exotic cooking and in general this is not a place I would choose but it did to some degree make me think of my mom's cooking. If this is the style of cooking you enjoy you should check it out. The food was warm and the tastes consistent with what I would expect for this style of cooking.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Blue Springs, Missouri
“Good food, nice waitress.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family were in Omaha for a few days on vacation and decided to try this place out...and I am glad we did. My husband ordered the pork chops and the portions are good size, he enjoyed it. I ordered a cheeseburger and it was so big I couldn't eat it all, but that may be due to the fact we ordered the best chips and dip we have ever had as an appetizer and couldn't quit eating them. ( Our waitress gave us a batch to go along with drinks!) We ended up spending more than we expected but it was well worth it. If we return to Omaha we will eat here again!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Home style cooking, huge menu. Great desserts!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Don't expect fancy...just lots of tasty, homey food. We normally stop in for breakfast. I had the scrambler which was bunches of ham and bacon mixed in with perfectly cooked eggs on crispy home style potatoes. Included a giant cinnamon roll covered in icing.

I always bring home a zebra bar for my daughter and some other bakery items for the family (bread, pies etc).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bedford
“Not the best meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were in Omaha today and in the area of 84th so stopped at Farm House Cafe for a late lunch. We both ordered the Potato Chip Club Melt, I had a salad with blue cheese dressing, my husband had onion rings. The sandwiches were not very good, the chicken was tasteless, the onion rings were not crispy, did not taste good at all. Even the lettuce in the salad had a funny taste and the blue cheese dressing was absolutely the worst I have ever had. The only plus to the meal was the waiter who was very friendly and right there with refills for our drinks. This is the second time we have been to the Farm House Cafe, the first was a few years ago and I don't remember the food being this bad. This will be our last stop at this cafe.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Huge portions, cheap ingredients”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went to the Farm House for brunch with the family when we were visiting Omaha. It is very busy so it is obvious many people like it. I would not go back. A large quantity of food does not make up for inexpensive ingredients. Cheap deli meats in omelette and giant cinnamon rolls with at least a half cup of pure sugar icing piled on may impress some but I would rather have meat that hasn't been processed and a small tasty cinnamon roll with a high quality icing drizzled on it. Orange juice was fresh and good. Overall not horrible but not for me.

• Visited April 2013