“Typical Italian fare but it comes in massive quantities” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Omaha, Nebraska
“Typical Italian fare but it comes in massive quantities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Well, we were told that the food here was like "sex on a plate." Our experience didn't live up to that expectation, and to be fair, our expectations likely color our impressions.

I had the Eggplant Parmesean and my beau had the Chicken Parmesean which were both boring. Since these meals feature spaghetti and sauce, I was expecting a tasty sauce, worthy of having a starring role in our meal, but it was boring, even a bit bitter. My wine was not good, in fact it almost tasted bad, like the bottle had been opened too long. But, that happens from time to time. The salads were a bit oily and the bread was fine, but not as exciting as I expected considering that our waiter described it as homemade. The oil, tomatoes and roasted garlic provided for eating with the bread was a nice touch but could be executed better, e.g. roasted garlic is typically so soft it practically melts, but ours was hard.

The service was fair, the atmosphere was a bit cheesy but not unpleasant to be a part of. Other patrons certainly liked it and were showing up in droves and having cheery celebrations (about 4 tables were having birthdays) which was fun.

All in all, the food is fine. Not exciting, even for basic Italian, but not bad. For the price and the hype, I expected more. I think we may give it another go, but not until we've exhausted other dining possibilities.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“good food big portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

good food big portions

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“large portions and great...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

large portions and great service with fresh garlic! yumm

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Def go hungry, the food...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

Def go hungry, the food is great and comes in huge portions!

Syracuse, New York
“very nice experience all around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

Lo Sole Mio is quite a gem in Omaha. The atmosphere is very nice and the food is excellent. I've never had anything bad there. It's a nice small, family restaurant and much better than any chain Italian place.

I recommend going for a late lunch on a Saturday. The lunch menu is naturally cheaper but the portions are HUGE and more what you would expect for dinner. You will certainly have enough for another meal. I've never been able to finish everything at lunch (or at dinner), not with the bread and salad and entree.

Service can be a bit spotty but enjoying the food makes up for it. Also, the cream-based sauces tend to be very heavy so if extremely heavy food bothers you, I'd order another type of dish.