“Very good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 74 Hotels in Omaha
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Very good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This an older Comfort Suites that has been updated that is still comfortable. We found it clean and the bed very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. When we were checking in a staff member was coming on duty and offered to help us with our luggage. I know this hotel is at least 35 years old as my in-laws used stay here. We had a great rate of $67 and it was a bargain for what we got. The breakfast was good with a great variety.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kusant R, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you so much for taking you time to review our hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay. We work very hard to maintain our property to ensure all our guest are fully satisfied. Your kind works motivates us to keep improving our service and quality. We hope to see you soon

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
West Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

First off the staff was very nice. It appeared to me that the hotel was recently purchased and the new owners (family) are trying to figure out how to run a hotel. Rooms were not really clean, spa did not work, minutes after checking in we asked the front desk to fix the security lock on the door which was hanging on and could be pulled out by a child and to repair the very, very loose shower rod. Three days later at check out neither of these issues were fixed. I am highly doubtful they are fixed weeks later. Smoke detector on the ceiling had the battery tray pulled out. Management has a lot of work to do because the price of the room was NOT worth it!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kusant R, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thomas
I would like to apologize on behalf of our entire team for the inconvenience you faced during your stay with us. I have informed all our staff about the problems you had to face. All the problems will be addressed immediately.

Lincolnshire, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

DON'T STAY HERE - OVERCHARGED AND POOR FACILITIES
Stayed overnight on Mon 6/16 ($199 CWS Rip-off Rate) and was given last available room next to the nasty pool mentioned in the prior post. Desk clerk giggled when I asked about the rate being so high, that should have tipped me off about the attitude towards customers.

Found out early next morning that shower did not work. Used damp rag and held head under faucet to get clean...went to see desk clerk after that and was told "there was nothing he could do - must talk to manager". Manager was nowhere to be found, but clerk gave me card of General Manager Kusant Risal. So I took the clerk back to the room to have him look at the drip coming out of the shower head, and again "there is nothing I can do - you must talk to Manager."

At that point I took a picture and video clip of the shower in order to send to Manager (wherever he was). Sent email and video clip/complaint to Mr. Risal requesting refund, received an apology but "can't refund your money". Offered 2500 points or a free night at that location (no way!!!). Called Choice Hotel corporate, who offered $80 refund and said a complaint will be lodged against the franchise, with a visit/review to follow. Hope they fix the place up, it sure needs it.

Mr. Risal - Whenever you respond, I hope you can address the gap between the Choice Hotel customer service pledge (if you find something wrong we will make it right) and what happened last week. It is not about money at this point, you need to clean up the approach to customer service and fix your facilities.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kusant R, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Scott
Thank you for taking you time to review your experience with us. Again I sincerely apologize for the untimely malfunction of the shower hose.I'm sorry if you believe our compensation was not satisfactory, but given the circumstances that's the best we could offer for the issue at hand. We were able to fix the issue the same day, We really appreciate you letting us know about the problem.

Sincerely
Mantorville, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Oh, where to begin? My family and I stayed at this hotel while passing through Omaha on the way home from vacation. We were arriving late, about 9:30pm, and heading out right away the next morning, so I wasn't expecting much ... just a quiet night's rest, a decent shower, and a chance for the children to play in the pool for an hour or so before hitting the road again.

After checking in, we did what a lot of people do when you first reach your hotel ... tried to use the bathroom. Unfortunately, the bathroom door in our room wouldn't shut because it was hung crooked and jammed against the (broken) tile floor about half way closed. Ok, I can live with that. My wife and I simply took turns keeping the kids in-check for privacy. The bathroom was in a pretty sad state of repair. Fixtures/outlets hanging loose on the wall because only half of the screws were installed (seriously?), in-room coffee maker hadn't been cleaned, pencil lines drawn right on the walls for leveling pictures. Once again, minor things that I can certainly live with, but they speak to the poor attention to detail of the maintenance staff. Could I have requested another room? Sure, but at 10pm after being on the road all day, I'm certainly not going to drag my wife, children, and luggage around the building playing musical hotel rooms.

The temperature in Omaha was in the mid-80's with high humidity, and it was quite warm in the room, so naturally we turned on the air conditioner. The A/C unit couldn't seem to cool the room down at all. It simply circulated the air and sounded like a freight train while doing so. Once again, we were all dead tired, so I just bit my tongue and went to sleep. About 12:30am, I was awakened by a dog barking just down the hall. Funny, I wasn't aware that hotels generally allowed pets? But this only lasted about 10 minutes, so I just let it go.

We went down for breakfast the next morning. Breakfast was decent ... nothing spectacular, but not horrible either. Unfortunately, it was served in a dimly lit, over-crowded little room off the lobby that felt like walking into a sauna. I don't know if they were trying to save money on air conditioning or what, but it was actually cooler outside than in the hotel. Not a big deal. Breakfast at the hotel is more of a time-saving bonus than a necessity anyway.

Because we had gotten in late the night before, we had promised the kids that they could swim in the pool after breakfast before checking out. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Turns out that the handle of the door to the pool area broke and the door couldn't be opened. No sign on the door, mind you, just a locked door. Big disappointment for the kids considering the only thing they care about when staying at a hotel is the pool. Come to find out later from other guests that the pool was filthy anyway, so perhaps this was for the best.

Returned to our room to shower (with the door open, of course) and get ready to resume the trip home. My wife turned the shower handle and got nothing but air ... no water! Now at this point, I'm irritated. Strike three on our list of basic requirements for a hotel stay. So we said forget it, and just packed up to be on our way. After loading the car, I stopped at the front desk to make a complaint about the pool and shower situation. This is very out of character for me ... I never complain about hotel service, but then I've never stayed at a hotel with this many issues either.

I was waiting behind two other guests who were also making complaints to the desk clerk. The clerk was completely incompetent in trying to resolve their issues and finally ended up on the phone with Choice Hotels technical support line. I stood there for a full half-hour before he even acknowledged my existence. By the time he finally asked if he could help me, I was more than a little annoyed. However, I politely explained my issue and requested a discount of the room rate due to the services that were not available. The clerk tried to tell me that he had no authorization to credit back a portion of the room because his manager had removed that authority from everyone after "some irresponsible employees", as he put it, were making excessive discounts and reducing revenues for the hotel. What? Why is this my problem?

Mind you, the other guests who were making complaints were still not taken care of ... he was simply trying to get rid of me while waiting for the tech support operator. These other guests had requested to speak to the manager on duty, but it turns out there was no manager on duty. The clerk was not able to reach either the manager or the owner to resolve the complaints. Shouldn't the manager on duty be ... on duty? He gave me the same run-around, stating there was nothing he could do without the manager and he couldn't reach the manager. I asked for the manager's phone number, but of course he wouldn't give me that.

At this point, he shifted his attention back to the other guests and left me standing there for another full half-hour. All the while, I had a chance to chat with these guests at length ... very nice folks. They had booked their rooms several months in advance with the promise of a discounted rate, but as it turns out they were actually paying a higher rate than we were for the same room that we had booked just two days before. Two other families in their group had reported ants in their room ... not a few ants, but an infestation, that required them to come up and spray on multiple occasions. I came to post my review on TripAdvisor and sure enough, there's a picture from another reviewer of ants in their room!!! After a full hour and a call to Choice Hotels customer service line, their issue seemed to be resolved and they were on their way.

While all this was going on, my wife had come in from the car because two of our young children needed to use the restroom. They went to the ladies restroom off the lobby only to find the back of the toilet sitting across the seat with no water in the tank ... apparently out of order, but no sign to let anyone know that. I told her to just use the men's restroom instead, but the toilet in that restroom was clogged with toilet paper and feces and smelled as though it had been that way for quite some time. My wife spoke to another person who had tried to use the restroom two hours earlier and it was clogged at that time as well.

Now the clerk picked up where he left off giving me excuses about why there was nothing he could do. In all this time, the manager and owner still could not be reached. The clerk offered to give me Choice Rewards points ... I'm not a Choice Rewards member. He offered to sign me up with Choice Rewards so that he could give me free points ... I responded that I'm not interested in their points program, I simply want a refund on my room rate. Finally, I couldn't stand there any longer because we were under time pressure to get on the road. I'm confident that I will get no satisfaction from the manager, and so instead I'm pursuing a formal complaint with Choice Hotels.

Honestly, I don't know where the excellent reviews on this website are coming from. Just a week earlier, we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in South Dakota that was less expensive and had infinitely better quality and service. I'm sadly disappointed that this hotel is allowed to carry the Comfort Inn franchise name. I would encourage anyone visiting Omaha to look elsewhere for accommodations.

Incidentally, I see that the manager, Kusant R., has ample time to respond to reviews here on TripAdvisor. Perhaps if he had taken the time to be on duty that day, I would not be here posting this review.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Mark
I'm very sorry to hear about all the problems that occurred during your stay with us. I would personally like to apologies for not being at the hotel while you were checking out. Unfortunately the morning you were here we had a severe water leakage which forced us to shut the water for few hours. All the issues you mentioned have been addressed. Again, I'm very sorry about everything. Your satisfaction is our number one priority and I will make sure our staff will go extra miles to make each and every guest happy

General manager
Sparta, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was horrible. Fixtures were broken and hanging of the walls. Pool was filthy, and my husband and daughter got stuck in the pool area because the door was broken. The person at the front desk could not get them out. They had to go out the emergency door and walk around the hotel to get back in. Mind you...they had no shoes mad there was a severe thunderstorm going on.

My brother had no water in husband room, so no showers after traveling for 11 hours with no kids. He could not use the pool in the morning because they still did t have it fixed.

The bathroom on the main floor was not usable. The womens was out of order and the men's toilet was clogged and overflowing with feces for over 2 hours. The hotel was very run down and had a funny smell. There was mold in our shower as well.

We attempted to get resolution and were given the run around from the desk and told the manager was not able to be found. Very frustrating experience. This hotel should have cost about $30, not $179!

• Stayed June 2014
Kusant R, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Wendy
We would like to apologize on behalf of our entire team for failing to exceed your expectation. We are very sorry about the water situation. Because of an emergency situation we had to shut the water down for couple of hours. Apparently, the pool door lock was broken while you were inside the pool area and we are deeply sorry you had to walk around the building to get back in.
We appreciate you taking time to review our hotel. Your honest opinion helps us narrow the issues we have. We have got those problems fixed. Hope you will consider giving us our more chance.

Dubuque, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Location and lobby leave a bit to be desired. Was very pleasantly surprised with the recently updated room. Great bed, good lay out. My room was quiet and odor free (I have a sensitive nose). I will not hesitate to stay here again. I really couldn't find any close restaurants though...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kusant R, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you so much for taking your time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your honest opinion. We are very happy to know that you liked our bedding and room. Your review encourages us to keep improving our service and quality. We hope to see you soon

St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Excellent place to stay rooms are clean and comfortable, good breakfast and hotel appears to be well maintained. They were very busy as a sports team had checked in but they were not noisy. Good pub across the street with decent food.

Room Tip: Excellent place, they were busy and reservation would be recommended.