“Good Brazilian” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Brazilian
Omaha, Nebraska
“Good Brazilian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Galo is not an over the top resturaunt like Texas de Brazil or Foga de Chao but then it doesn't cost $75 a head either. My daughter's and my meal, with drinks and tip was a grand total of $35.

They have a good selection of salads, hot dishes and meats that are served buffet style. Although pricing by the pound may sound strange, it works fairly well, (you open a tab and pay at the end of the meal).

Our family has eaten at many Brazilian places both here in the States as well as on our trips to Rio and Vitoria, Brazil. We found the food at Galo to be a very good representation of the authentic brazilian we've eaten. We would highly recommend Galo and look forward to our return in the near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

midwest
“Not Overpriced, and Friendly”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We went to Galo Brazilian Grill last night. For two dinners and 2 beers it came to just over $20! Granted we did not overfill our plates at this buffett style grill, so that kept the price down since you pay per pound, much like the salad bar at Hyvee.

We decided at the end of the meal that we will go back again. I gave only three stars this time because of two issues that I think really matter. Both issues can be fixed, and then I would give a higher rating.

First: We both had the top sirloin cap for our meat, and when the carver asked if we wanted it rare, medium, or well done, we both chose "rare". However, the meat he carved from the center for us was already cooked to "medium", so that is what we got. Of course it was drier than we prefer, and we noted that next time we would try the chicken wrapped in bacon.

Second: The durable sqare plates are pretty, and they looked very clean, but they are made out of a hard plastic, with a lot of scratches. When cutting my meat with real silverware it made a very loud clanking noise. It took me by surprise how loud it was! This is not a big deal to most people, but by the end of the meal I wanted to just put my knife down and eat with my hands!

Besides those two things, we decided we will go back again because of the friendly atmosphere, and the great price. - And we heard the chicken is delicious! ( I can eat that with my hands!)

This is a great place to go if you want to walk off the street into a cafeteria style restaurant and try a few foods you won't probably see elsewhere in Omaha. Some of the salads are standard, but some are a bit different and we enjoyed trying them. It won't take much from your wallet either!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
OMAHA
“I will be back ~ Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Forget the bad reviews, I believe the Management has read them too and acted on them as many of the negatives I read, have been corrected. The plates are not flimsy picnic stuff, they are square Corelle Ware, and the utensils are metal. BUT the most important part of this review is that the food was INCREDIBLY GREAT TASTING!!! Sure, some of the cold salads were simple, but how fantastic does salad have to be at a Grilled Meat place?? I did think the Tomato/Hearts of Palm salad was nice for a palate cleanser. On to the real Meat of the issue ~ On the Sword, Spinning over the Fire, Picanha - The culotte (top sirloin cap) and Brazil’s famous cut of meat
Alcatra - Cut from the top sirloin
Alcatra con Queijo - Top sirloin stuffed with provolone cheese
Frango con Bacon - Marinated chicken wrapped in bacon
Frango - Marinated chicken drummettes.
Linguiça - Pork or chicken sausage seasoned
and even a Whole Pineapple coated with Caramel ~ What's not to like?!?! The Wait Staff were quite attentive and the Grill Masters were very knowledge of their product. They took personal pride in making sure you received your various meats at the correct doneness you enjoyed the most! And did I mention the meats were perfectly seasoned, juicy and charred perfectly? Some of the individual cuts of meat couldn't be bought raw for $9 lb at the store, did I mention the meats were perfectly seasoned, juicy and charred perfectly? Meal for 3 with two trips through and a Brazilian Beer, came to a very reasonable $55.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Cafeteria atmosphere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We went last Friday night to Galo Brazilian Grill and I have to admit were disappointed. I did not expect a cafeteria / cantine style atmosphere with plastic plates and trays.
We were seated and then could go to the buffet and pick our food. The meat was great (good variety!), but the salad buffet was disappointing in my opinion. Not too many options! Also hardly any good Brazilian stuff on the buffet. Looked all very "mid-western" to me....
The taste was ok - but nothing fancy or special.
Anyway, after picking your food you go to the cash register where your food will be weighed. You pay by the pound. $8.99/lbs - pretty fair price.
This restaurant would do great in a big college town close to a college campus in my opion.

The WORST to me in my opion were actually the plastic plates!!! They were all scratched up and looked so old and used. That was my first impression and it disgusted me throughout the meal that I had to eat from such a plate.

If you love Brazilian food and if you have been to a "Texas do Brazil" or a "Fogo de Chao" here in the US, then you will not like the Galo Brazilian Grill.

I tried it, but I will not be back.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Houston, Texas
“Good variety, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

The food was very good and the variety was excellent. However, we went on a Sunday evening and there was only one person carving the grilled meat. With only half a dozen table occupied, we waited at least 10 minutes to get through the buffet line. Table service for drinks was very prompt, but they needed another person - or a more experienced person - at the carving station. A busy lunch might be a disaster. But it's worth the trip and it's great to have another ethnic option in the metro area.

• Visited May 2012