“Wonderful classy restaurant in Midtown Omaha” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grey Plume is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 1,106 restaurants in Omaha
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Entrance on Farnam ST, across from Delice and The Afternoon
Council Bluffs, Iowa
“Wonderful classy restaurant in Midtown Omaha”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

From the appetizers, to the entree's, and then the desserts this was a dining experience that I would encourage all to experience. I went with a diverse group of people for a business dinner and each person was able to find something that suited their palate. We each got to share and taste several dishes and we all had great things to say about these dishes.
The next time I go I am going to take my husband so we can enjoy a quiet romantic dinner at the Grey Plume.

• Visited March 2013

90% Recommend
“5 Star in omaha”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

5 star restaurant at reasonable prices. We have eaten at some of the best in Las vegas. This restaurant is comparable at half the price.

“Don't Waste Your Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The food is terrible and over priced. The vegetarian salad is sweet and sour in a bad way on both counts. The bison burger is served as a sandwich but on a dry biscuit that falls apart on the first bite, and its flavorless. The lamb was so salty it was a chore to eat, and as for salt, the fries are cold, greasy little fingers of salt. Four of us dined and we all felt ripped off. The bill for 4 meals and 4 drinks was $275 dollars....disgusting!! This couldn't just be a bad selection on my part because all four meals were very bad, and I'm being kind. Expect the place to be out of business soon.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Omaha, Nebraska
“It doesn't get any better...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

While I could rave on about the food which is some of the best in Omaha, I really want to rave on about the service. Whether you are sitting in the bar area or the restaurant, you are always treated like royalty. On one of our last visits, we were just sitting at the bar and the sommelier even came in to give us recommendations. We had over three people waiting on us which seems to be the norm at the Grey Plume. The Chef even stopped by to say hello. The food has always been innovative, local and amazing. The bartenders create wonderful concoctions to sample and the wine list is excellent. The addition of the bar menu was very nice because it is so easy to stop in without a reservation and to be honest, I hadn't really thought of that before. You can also order off the full menu in the bar and to top it off you always get homemade shortbread cookies to take home with you. We even had someone chase us down to give us our cookies because we had slipped out in a flurry of people. A real midtown gem.

Kirkland, WA
“Just too many surprising disappointments”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I wanted to like this place SO much! I greatly appreciate any restaurant that goes the extreme extra mile to been “green” and to serve only seasonal, local (as much as possible) food. Being a true “greenie” visiting from Seattle, I had communicated via email with the chef/owner with a question I had and he gave me a wonderful, very thoughtful reply. We were treating friends who were meeting us from out of town and wanted to give them a great and unique restaurant experience. That said, here is my “good (wish there was more) and bad (way too many)” list. Just a note… I try to be very fair and rarely write a review this bad. I just feel they should here the feedback and you should know what 4 people’s opinion was. I would like to have talked to Clayton, the owner, last night, but honestly, just didn’t feel comfortable doing that.
Disappointments:
Strip Loin Wagyu Beef – only 2 thin slices of steak!!! For $38? The previous night we had eaten at Spencer’s Steak House where the owner used to work. We were expecting a steak, not an appetizer. My friend planned on sharing with her 8 year old daughter who doesn’t eat much, but the daughter ate the entire steak since, again, it was only 2 slices.
Local Oyster Mushrooms – I’m a hobbyist mushroom forager and oyster mushrooms are my FAVORITE! Grey Plume’s preparation was, well…. Terrible. The flavor was chewy blandness. The pickled watermelon rind was not complimentary. Oyster mushrooms are famously known for tasting amazing when grilled. This was like eating a steak that had been poached – not good flavor. The smoked tomato was very nice, but didn’t help the dish as a whole.
Blue Valley Steelhead Trout – I just found out this morning that my husband did not receive the season vegetables that were supposed to have come with it. He got a whole trout, which he said was tasty, although not enough meat to fill him up. It was served on top of a starch which he couldn’t identify. The menu says it is crème fraiche spatzle. The presentation was nice.
Winter Vegetable Salad – very boring. Presentation wasn’t a priority here… everything was white and if there was a dressing of some sort, it was undetectable.
Bison Burger – As they said on Top Chef recently, if you are going to serve a burger in a nice restaurant, it had better be amazing… this was a decent burger, nothing great, according to my friend. The "bun" was so big it couldn't be used as a bun, so it was eaten with a fork. Not what he was wanting.
Crème Brulee – The top crust was delicious, the crème was runny instead of nice firm custard, but good flavor. I think it is odd to serve it with ice cream on top, so we requested it be served on the side.

The Good:
The service was great! If you decide to go, the “Chef’s Table” in the bar is a wonderful place to sit. It’s a cozy wood table and quiet area… very good for conversation. The Day Scallop and gnocchi appetizer was very good. The Winterspice Old Fashion was delicious! Never thought I liked bourbon. Their rolls were fabulous! Tasted like they just came out of a wood-fired stove!
In summary, it seems they care more for presentation “ohhs & ahhhs” than substance of the food. From the other reviews and what they say on their website, I would never have thought I’d be saying that. It broke my heart that it wasn’t a better food experience.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere