“This is the only motel I have ever left without staying in!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lassen Mineral Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mineral
Lassen Mineral Lodge
You added Lassen Mineral Lodge to your Saves list
Highway 36, Mineral, CA 96063   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mineral
new york
“This is the only motel I have ever left without staying in!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I was expecting rustic as I know it is in a remote area but I was not expecting such a rundown, old place. My husband,who usually is not picky at alll!, did not want to even walk in the place but I said "how bad can it be?". Well...it was bad. There is no air conditioning (and the temp outside was in the 90's), the window screens had huge holes in them so you couldn't leave the windows open at night. The ceiling fan over the bed made such a high pitched noise that I knew I would be listening to my husband grumble all night and it really didn't move any air anyway. The sink and shower had lukewarm water after letting it run for at least 10 minutes. This was the final straw as I need to have a comfortable shower after feeling sweaty from hiking all day! The bedding and couch were so old looking I was afraid to stay the night as I have mold allergies. I grew up in a rural area and do not expect the Ritz but for $80 I expected alot better! We ended up staying in the room for 15 minutes and then decided we couldn't stay the night. So we ended up paying $80 bucks for a grand total of 15 minutes! Now I know why they have a 7 day cancellation policy because they are afraid that once you see the place you will want to leave!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
tucson, az
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We spent 1 night.
Convienent to park entrance. Room was ok and rate very good.
Only problem ws no A/C and it was a very warm day.
Had to wait until late at night before cooled off enought to be able to sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

If you're not into insects, don't stay here. We got a room with a king and queen bed. There were cockroaches in our bathroom and some giant ants crawling on the queen bed. The queen bed, which was near a window, also had a fair amount of dust on the pillows.

If you want to sleep at night, this also ain't the place to go. There was a consistent, soft pounding on either our roof or the side wall near the roof all night long. Upon talking to the hotel staff in the morning, one person said that it was likely the roof cooling down; another person said it was probably the sound of the water pipes. Whichever it was, we did not sleep a wink all night long.

Finally, the lodge apparently gave Google Maps the wrong coordinates for its location. Given that the hotel provided only a P.O. Box on its homepage, not an exact address, we punched in just the hotel name into Google Maps to find the place. Google led us to a place on the same highway, but just on the other side of Lassen Volcanic Park, half an hour away. I use Google Maps nearly every day and have traveled all over the country with it. Every now and then, it fails to give you the most direct route or the best directions, but it has never mistakenly located an establishment. As it turned out, this was a problem created by the lodge. So we ended up driving back and forth on a highway in the middle of nowhere in the dark. Not exactly our idea of a fun vacation.

Meanwhile, the manager on duty that evening was rather argumentative and insisted that they had the proper directions posted on their website. Yeah, well, big deal. Everyone uses Google Maps or GPS for directions these days. Not everyone relies on the website of the lodge they're staying at. It's the lodge's responsibility to make sure that its coordinates are correct on Google Maps.

Our two-day trip to Lassen was otherwise pleasant, but staying at this lodge definitely ruined a big part of it.

• Stayed July 2010
Ojai, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

Spent two nights at Lassen Mineral Lodge while visiting the National Park. The accomodations were bare bones, in need of repair. Spent $80 per night, which I found as fair after spending two nights in Yosememite living in tent cabins covered with plastic and canvas at $120 a night. Had a graeat time in the park. Went over to manzanita lake where we rented Kayaks at a reasonable price and enjoyed the warm weather.

Found the restaurant very good.
The lodgeand restaurant worked for me. Besides it is really close to the park.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Burbank, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We didn't stay at the hotel. We stopped here to get a bite to eat, were excited about the wide range of menu options, and were then disappointed to wait...and wait...and wait.

Since we were driving for some time before we hit a restaurant we could eat at, we were hoping for prompt service. Having been a waitress at one time myself I would have understood if they had been busy and understaffed, but this was not the case.

This was beyond poor service. Both servers looked at us, made eye contact, and then continued to service the other tables who really didn't need anything. (Can I get you anything else? Would you like some dessert?...No, No...)

No hello. No "I'll be right with you." No "Can I get you something to drink?" This went on for at least ten to fifteen minutes while they continued to attend to the other tables. One customer I could understand because they were serving them food, so I waited until they brought out all the plates, giving them one more chance to attend to our table. The other table was done eating. And the third had paid their bill and left. Inside, I don't remember exactly if there were any customers, but if there were, it was almost empty.

The food presentation looked lovely. If you could ever get anyone to take your order!

We made eye contact with both servers on the patio on several occasions. Every time they came back outside they basically ignored us.

After waiting a bit longer, I decided to give them one more chance after delivering all the food to the other table. Would you believe they went back out to the same table to ask if everything was okay there? Hello! I got up to leave, that was the last straw for me.

By this time another couple had sat down without anyone bringing them menus. The hostess in the indoor area probably didn't bother to get up from her laptop. I had specifically asked to see the menu since I have dietary limitations so she had given us ours. But this couple sat bewildered for a few minutes. I gave them my menu as I was walking out.

Finally, the server asked "Are you moving?" No, we are leaving. When we explained that we had been waiting the server hadn't a clue.

I hope the other couple did better than us.

I have never walked out of a restaurant before. So I have to say this was pretty bad. In fact I would say it was beyond bad, it was just plain rude. We went up to the cafe inside the National Park instead. I would strongly encourage others to do the same or visit nearby Chester for meals.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

My husband and I took a road trip honeymoon through Oregon and northern CA, and this was our favorite stop. We greatly appreciated the remote location and down-home atmosphere, especially after 4 sleepless nights in Napa and Yosemite (where late-night drunks and 7th graders kept us awake much of each night). At the Mineral Lodge we had everything we needed: a super comfortable room (the only minor flaw was the thin walls between rooms), a great restaurant, and a small store that covered any needs we may have had. Brandy runs the restaurant, helps cook, and cleans the rooms every day, seven days a week in summer, and she is always in a GREAT mood. She also bakes some of the desserts, and her cobbler is to die for! For our first full day there, we ordered a picnic lunch to take to Lassen Volcanic National Park, and the sandwiches hit the spot after a hike to Bumpass Hell. Every evening my husband and I enjoyed a few beers, sitting on the porch outside our room. If you enjoy a quiet place near an amazing park you will love the Mineral Lodge. We will definitely go back, hopefully many times throughout our lives.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Northern CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

I planed this trip with my two small children. They had a blast. We enjoyed our room. The kids took board games from the restaurant and played most of the night with them.

It is very close to Lassen National Park. The new visitors center is a must see, especially if you have kids. They created their own earthquake there and played with all the rock displays. The movie is good, but scared the kids with the loud music.

I had the rib eye in the restaurant our first night. They hand cut them theirselves. It was excellent. Actually one of the best I have had in a long time. The kids had losts to chose from from the kids menu. Breakfast was equally good. The pancakes are huge, so only order one order for your kids to share if you have very small kids.

We are already planning our next trip to Lassen and are going to stay here again. We may even go back and see Lassen in the winter. They said that they rent snowshoes and cross county skis, this got the kids excited.

The rooms are older, but that is part of the rustic charm of the area. If you are looking for the fancy soaps of the Hilton, go there. Nothing in this area will compare to the service and friendliness of the staff, they are all family there. When you stay there for a few days, you become part of their family as well. My kids even gave the owners hugs before they left. We felt like we were at home there.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Lassen Mineral Lodge? Share your experiences!