“Service has gone way down” 2 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 53 Restaurants in Boulder City
Cuisines: Diner, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Dessert
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Service has gone way down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We've been to this cafe many times throughout the years but our last trip was horrible. Stopped in for breakfast and decided to sit on the patio. We sat down immediately after someone else had just left, so the table had food on it and was dirty (not a big deal though). A "bus-girl" walked over and asked what we wanted to drink. We ordered coffee, creamer, and water. I asked her if she could wipe the table off and she gave me a dirty look... My wife and I looked at each other like "what was that for?".

She brought the coffee but no creamer or water. The waitress came over a few minutes later and took our order, and a few minutes later she brought our food. I asked the waitress for the creamer and water that we didn't get and she looked at the girl and told her to get creamer and water for us. Life's good, right? Well, after 10 minutes the creamer and water never came.

I finally walked inside up to the register where our waitress and two other waitresses were standing. I explained my displeasure with the service and one of the waitresses handed me a cup full of creamer. Our waitress apologized but that was it. A few minutes later the girl finally brought our water.

One of the employees told me that the "bus-girl" was actually the owner's daughter and she was "new". I'm not so sure this was a training issue as opposed to an "I'm the owner's daughter" issue.

The food was so-so (pancakes) and the syrup that they leave on the outside tables are covered in bees. The staff knew about this but just left the syrup out so we were constantly swatting bees away. Finally had to set the syrup on another table to get them away from us!

At the register was a sign that said "give us a review on tripadvisor and yelp". Here ya go.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sara F, Manager at Southwest Diner, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Scott I am so sorry about your experience, I am the owners daughter, I am not the bus girl, I apologize for the mix up in thinking she is me. I can assure you that she is new, not the owners daughter and has been spoken to about your specific issue. We are in constant contact with our pest control about our bee situation. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do other than swat away with everyone else, unless there is a hive around, we have looked, the pest control has looked, and we haven't found a hive. We do our best to keep the syrup bottles clean and rotated and away from the bees, Im sorry if we came across differently. We appreciate your review, we have learned from it and are making the adjustments that need to be made.. Our number one goal is to make you happy, so please come back ask to speak to Cindy, or myself, Sara, and we will make sure you are taken care of the next time we see you. Thank you again for your helpful review.

NC
“Fantastic Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

let me start by saying if you love a Bloody Mary, order it here - the large is HUGE, but oh so good. I had chili verde omelet - out of this world and hubby ordered the country fried steak with gravy- unbelievable and he usually does not enjoy country fried steak. I think it was the gravy that got him since we are from the south. The place is charming located right in old Boulder City. We dined outside and the scenery was fabulous. We were fat, happy and content after the meal and needed a nap! It I definitely worth the short drive from Las Vegas to see a quaint little town and enjoy fantastic food and service

• Visited July 2013
Elmhurst, Pennsylvania
“Well worth! Better value then the stands at the Hoover Dam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I love the food here! Much better value then the food at stands. I had the Avocado BLT ($9.95ish)and it was so good, served on nice thick bread. I had it with cucumber salad and it was very nice. My husband order the lunch special (which is also on the menu) chicken fajita burrito ($6.99). It was huge and was served with chips and salsa, sour cream and gaucomole.

• Visited September 2013
“Southwest Diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stopped on the way back from Hoover Dam and liked it so much that we drove back from Vegas the next day for breakfast. Callous sophisticates beware... this is not the MGM Grand and I wouldn't want it to be.

• Visited September 2013
atlanta
“Don't understand the rave reviews.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here after a visit to the Hoover Dam - following the TA reviews as always. It was mid-afternoon so only a few customers around. We had the spicy potato pancake plate - neither of us finished our meals - partially due to the portions are truly big and also because we just didn't like them very much. That's OK as it may just be our unfamiliararity with local cuisine. We did not have dessert. Staff was pleasant. My biggest issue was it seemed to not be kept up - wall tiles falling off or missing, multiple light bulbs out in the dated ceiling fans, sticky bottles on the tables, not so clean looking floors, etc......I love hometown diners and sure don't expect them to be fancy clubs - but at least maintain and keep it shiny clean.

Visited August 2013
Sara F, Manager at Southwest Diner, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Im so sorry you were not pleased with how the Diner is kept up. I can assure you that we deep clean every day, along with changing out the syrup bottles on a daily basis, most of the cleaning is done in the late afternoon, after the busy mornings. As far as the dated celling fans, we think they go well with our "dated/antique" decor.. Im so happy to hear that our staff was pleasant. The potato pancakes are a very unique menu item, we are so glad you gave them a try. Filling up our costumers with quality home cooked food, and pleasant service is our number one goal. We hope to see you again soon!