“Friendly, great food, great value, great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 55 Restaurants in Boulder City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Family Fare, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast
Geelong, Australia
“Friendly, great food, great value, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Nice and close to the El Rancho where we stayed...the food and service hit the spot for dinner and breakfast

• Visited September 2011

“Great place!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Great home cooking, pies, banana bread, wheat bread, carrot cake we go to the Diner At least twice a week. Great food and decorated nice. Sitting outside was great!!!

Panhandle, Texas
“Fresh iced tea in a quart sized jar. And the best burger in town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We happened on this place because of the quaint-ness of the exterior. It is on the main street through town. We were welcomed by friendly waitresses and a big menu - including daily specials and all-day breakfast (on Saturday - not sure if it is everyday). I ordered a burger while my husband ordered a chicken smothered in cheese and peppers. The waitress brought a burrito to the table next to us and it looked amazing. At least 5 inches in diameter!

My hamburger was brought to me in a pie tin and included delicious, steaming french fries. My husband's platter included a salad, veggies, fresh baked cornbread (awesome!) and homemade ice cream for dessert.

Overall, this place served excellent food. The waitresses were friendly and prompt with their service. I would eat here again.

• Visited August 2011
“Good diner breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Huge fluffy and delicious pancakes. Big portion of thin crispy bacon. Warning for those who like strong coffee: this is serious diner uber weak coffee--buy hey, you're in a diner and the good and service is very good! Eggs were perfectly over medium. Atmosphere has gone a bit over the top in kitsch, but hey, you're on a diner and the food and service are really good! : )

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu
“Great food, less than great service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Make no mistake, this is a diner with typical diner fare. The food is not meant to be gourmet in anyway.

First the good: I had a chopsteak blue plate which was drowning in awesome gravy, onions, and mushrooms. At 2/3 lb. of meat, it seemed never ending. It came with a piece cornbread that was out of this world, as well as a salad, fries, and green beans. My wife had a club sandwhich which was nothing special (but fine). I could have left it at that, but my wife wanted a piece of the pie that she had eyed in the cold case. I'm glad we ordered it. It was some of the best apple pie I have ever had. Not only was it enough for both of us, it was defined by a lack of the sugary sweetness most apple pie suffers from; you could taste the cooked apples as the dominant note in the pie and the crust was a very nice, layered pastry.

Now for the not so good: The service was OK to inattentive. My wife and I got the sense that we happened up our waitress' break or shift change. We were seated and then pretty much ignored. We were delivered the check in a perfunctory (if polite and friendly) manner and told to pay at the register. As noted above, my wife wanted to order a slice of pie, but the kiss-off was so fast that I had to go over the register and request the slice of the pie there. As most people are aware, a good server these days tries to upsell various things, with dessert being the main opportunity. In all, we felt like barely welcome interlopers in a place meant for locals. That's sad, since we visited another local restaurant in Vegas recommended by Guy Fierri called the Four Kegs which was very welcoming.

Over all, it was a decent experience and I am glad we stopped at this offbeat restaurant on our way back to Las Vegas from the dam. I wish I could rave about the place (the decor was well-considered and thoughtful, too). Maybe next time?

• Visited July 2011