“4 Seniors give River Riders 4 Thumbs up!” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Eco kayak tours in Black Canyon and Lake Mead. Kayak rentals
Phelps, New York
“4 Seniors give River Riders 4 Thumbs up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I joined ours friends, Dave and Sharon for a kayaking adventure with Boulder City River Riders October 9, 2012. Les, the owner, picked us up in Las Vegas promptly at 7:00 am and we headed toward the Hoover Dam. We were very relieved not to have to deal with the traffic and getting there in time as we first had to rendevous with our guide, LeeAnn and a National Park Service Ranger who had to check our ID's. Lots of things have changed since 9/11.

Once we were escorted into the area below Hoover Dam we loaded our food and water, launched our kayaks, got helpful instruction from LeeAnn, and were off! We hadn't paddled 5 minutes before we made our first stop. We hiked to the mouth of a sauna cave and slowly entered into eventual blackness. It must have been 120 degrees! What a way to start the day! A few miles later we stopped again and hiked up to a natural hot spring for a hot tube soak. It was wonderful.

Dave and Sharon had been kayaking over 40 years. My husband and I, on the other hand, had only been kayaking about 4 weeks. Dave and Sharon having done a number of guided tours, felt this was the best they had ever been on. We found LeeAnn, our guide, to be skilled, knowledgeable, and a lot of fun. You burn a lot of calories paddling 12 miles and River Riders supplied us with energy snacks, a terrific lunch, and plenty of water to keep us hydrated.

The day was sunny and warm with a breeze,pretty stiff at times, blowing right in our face. We had read reviews of paddling this stretch of the Colorado and they warned that it could be a challenge if the river was low or if there was a head wind. Turns out we had both of these challenges to contend with. Fortunately, we also had LeeAnn. After our lunch stop I found myself having a hard time keeping up. Leeann realized I was struggling and decided to tie my kayak to the end of hers. I never stopped paddling, but the reassurance of being near LeeAnn made the remainder of our trip even more enjoyable.

We paddled nearly 12 miles, taking about 7 hours, with several stops along the way. We would wear water shoes with closed toes if we were to do this again. Sandals and gravel don't play well together. We also took disposable cameras, though our digitals would have been safe and a more flexible option.
Would we do this trip again? Absolutely!! Was it "worth it"? Completely!! Do you really need a guide? We think so. It's a big river and the stone walls on either side seemed to be hundreds of feet high, beautiful and breath-taking, but reassuring to have a guide within eye shot. Our group's ages ranged from 60-65 and our only physical preparation for this was daily walking. We are so glad we did this and hope we get the chance to do it, or something like it, again soon. Les and his people at Boulder City River Riders are first class. A very memorable trip for all of us. We even asked Les to make us River Rider t-shirts and "guide-shirts" as keep sakes. He hadn't offered these options in the past but may, based on our enthusiastic requests, in the future.

Visited October 2012

San Diego, California
6 attraction reviews
“Friendly service, beautiful adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I badgered poor Les with gobs of questions and changes and he remained fully helpful and friendly; always responding quickly. We actually wanted canoes rather than kayaks so we could haul plenty of cargo to spend the night camping along the river. He found some for us, got us off smoothly, and arrived right on time to pick us up for a friendly return to our vehicles.

The scenery of the Hoover Dam and through Black Canyon was beautiful; the hot springs were lovely and cozy.

Visited October 2012
Thunder Bay, Canada
“ABSOLUTE AWESOME PADDLE!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We paddled on Sept 5th,2012. Les and his team were nothing but AWESOME!!!!!!!! Our guide Scott was amazing, he let us know all the details and stories of the canyon. The day was perfect. We got to see big horned sheep and mountain goats. The canyon was stunning as always!! The lunch that was provided was beyond our expectations. We will be booking again next year again..Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visited September 2012
Show Low, Arizona
“65th Birthday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Awesome Experience. Les and his Company treated us with great respect and this Kayak trip was a treat for my 65th Birthday. We went on August 18th 2012 with my Husband, a close friend my Daughter and her Husband and my Granddaughter.

It was a lot of fun and our first Kayak trip. Les met us the day before to loan us 6 coolers and the next morning picked us up on time at our hotel.

We all had a fantastic time and it was beautiful going down the river and the canyon colors were awesome. I love water sports and I would recommend this company and Kayaking to everyone.

The owner and his staff were very courteous and their instructions were very helpful. I would do this again and use this company and recommend them to anyone.

Barbara K & Family & Friends

Visited August 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best anniversary event ever!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Decided to celebrate our 29th wedding anniversary on the river. One of the best choices ever!

Definitely would recommend ... priced very reasonable, quality craft, peaceful river adventure.
Excellent day on the water, sunshine, cool breezes, shade along the canyon walls, sandy or rocky beaches (great for rock skipping ...our two sons were completely inegaged in a "skip-off"), beautiful glassy waters, good for beginners and relaxing for the more experienced.

Les was both engaging and knowledgeable of the river and his equipment, the short ride down to water's edge and launch was comfortable, clean, with spectacular views of the lower side of Hoover Dam and the new bypass bridge.

All the equipment functioned as expected, no issues at all. The added comfort of a stiff foam pad helped the guys' lower backs tremendously, nice plus! ;-)

BCRR logo water canisters with clips to dangle in cold river water was a pleasant surprise. Love mine!

Already planning another adventure for a "ladies only" paddle, maybe an overnight.

Visited August 2012