“More an izakaya than dinner restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Yamaya Seafood

Yamaya Seafood
825 W 6th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501-2021 (Downtown)
907-276-6388
Improve this listing
Ranked #122 of 684 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Petersburg, Alaska
“More an izakaya than dinner restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to this establishment. It is very small (reservations requested for any group larger than three). It is family run, the primary cooking being done by the owner, a first-generation Japanese who has been here for 30 years. If you are looking for standard Japanese fare, you may or may not find it here. If you are looking for speedy service, look elsewhere. What this establishment offers is authentic, down-home Japanese fare. Half the menu is appetizers, the kind of things to go with sake. It is a seafood restaurant, but it is not a sushi establishment. You can get a few sushi items, but that is not their specialty.

As a first gen Japanese myself, when in Anchorage, I choose this establishment over the others for a nice homey atmosphere and a good reminder and taste of home cooking.

Visited September 2013

Chicago
“Not your typical Japanese”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Do not go expecting your typical Japanese menu. A family run place (we had a nice chat with Grandma). Food is plentiful and good, if not fancy. We had a variety of dishes and enjoyed them all. Convenient to the Hotel Captain Cook.

Visited June 2013
prov31girl
“Great Dinner - with a Show!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place is tiny, and the teensiest bit shall we say rugged? on the outside (get used to it, that is pretty much how Alaska rolls), but we ventured in. The whole place is about the size of my living room and it was packed out. A friendly guy eating at the microscopic sushi bar beckoned us to take the last two seats in the place. Our new friend is a 30 year Anchorage resident and a long-time Yamaya regular, and he was our delightful dinner companion for the evening.

Yamaya is run by an older Japanese couple and their granddaughter. Grampa-san is the only cook, and he makes each diner their food one item at a time (be prepared for a leisurely affair). The kitchen is open to say the least, so you can see the whole show. Gramma-san is one no-foolery-tolerated memaw, and she will take your order and tell you what is what in no uncertain terms.

The menu was chock full of things we’d never heard of before, so we followed our new friend’s recommendations and had some absolutely wonderful sushi and rice dishes, and Grampa-san was also gracious enough to stir fry me up something I was craving but which was not on the menu. All in all, dinner with our new friend at Yamaya’s was the perfect ending to our perfect first day in Alaska,

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Great hole in the wall!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This Japanese/sushi place was recommended to me by an associate and I had to try it. It was cute and quaint and immediately loved it because of the family run environment. I had soy beans, miso, and the sashimi plate. It was all awesome! The sushi was fresh and delicious and melted in my mouth. It was alot of food for a very decent price. Highly recommended.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
portland oregon
“Best Japanese in Anchorage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am surprised by some of the negative reviews. I cannot believe my luck in discovering this amazing gem of a restaurant. The best seafood hands down that I had both times I went to Anchorage and the locals assured me I was lucky to stumble upon Yamayas as it is the most authentic and best Japanese restaurant in Anchorage. Granted, both times I was there were weekdays in winter so only a few people were there. I didn't have to worry about service problems. If you're expecting A fancy setting perhaps you will be disappointed but if you are a foodie, you will love the quality of your meal. This is a block away from the downtown Marriott so perfect for business or recreational travelers staying there. You can walk there even in the dead of winter.

• Visited April 2013