“visiting alaska on a budget” 4 of 5 stars

Spenard Hostel International
Spenard Hostel International
2845 W 42nd Ave, Anchorage, AK 99517   |
New Orleans, Louisiana
“visiting alaska on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

after yearning to visit alaska, but hesitant due to cost and all that I wanted toi see, i finally made the journey. To simplify this awsome task, this is what I did.

1. I stayed at Spenard Hostel in anchorage for 2 days. From there I was able to walk to Gweenies Resturant for a good hardy breakfast that cost about $12. 00. I was able to save half for lunch or for breakfast the next day. The hostel had a refrigerator & microwave for guest. MY friend & I split the cost of rental car (very worthy choice) we drove from anchorage to Seward (beautiful scenery) where we took the Major Marines Kenia Fjords Tour. All you can eat salmon & prim rib. We saw a lot of what one would want to see in Alaska. We returned to Anchorage late that evening (sun stilllll shining brightly).

Room Tip: rooms are dorm style with about 4 comfy bunks per guest.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011 via mobile

Super great value for money, with the house staff so inviting and lovely.
Bathrooms are convenient and easy, but most of all so clean and house keepers are seen regularly cleaning.
The staff here care for this hostel like it is their home and the guests we encouraged were polite and friendly.
Will return for sure!

• Stayed November 2011
anchorage alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

I have been staying here for well over a decade, and on the occasions I have stayed at other hostels in Anchorage I have regretted it. This is the most homey hostel I think I have been to. The building itself is in a converted '70s duplex in a quiet neighborhood near the airport, with a large fenced yard in which camping is allowed. The decor and room arrangements haven't changed since I first stayed, and that is fine; you literally feel as if you are a guest in an average (but well-kept) local home. The staff are always super helpful and attentive, and the management is never intrusive or pushy without due cause. The rules are firm enough to keep security at a maximum and disturbance to a minimum, yet the feel of the place is much more laid back than at larger places. I have never been awakened in the middle of the night, or wondered if my belongings were going to wander off while I was in town. I don't know how they keep up their level of service, consistently, but the reviews say it all. Aside from being a mile from the airport and near a main bus line, pluses include fast wifi, very comfy beds, and clean and well stocked kitchens. The hostel also offers discounted rates for seasonal housing during the winter, for which they accept applications in the fall.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011 via mobile

Me and my friends are really not budget travelers. However,we were looking for a place close to the airport where we could get decent 'value for money' considering we arrive to Anchorage late evening and take a ride to the airport very early morning next day.
We knew we come late and the email said: if arrival after 11pm you will find information about your room right behind the entrance. And it was as said.We found a nice letter saying where is our room and when we can officially check-in next morning, eventually what to do if we leave early morning which was exactly our case.

I was verry happy about the approach, the room was specious enough considering we were in the hostel. The house was home-like: cozy and I felt well.

I would definitely recommend this lovely place with pro-active personell (based on easy communication for late arrival guys)

• Stayed July 2011
Roscommon, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

So conveniently located near the airport, this hostel is better than any I have ever stayed at. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. The grounds are very kept and the hostel is very clean. Their high speed internet is a major bonus. Also, their bike rental was very helpful; being a traveler without a vehicle, I was able to see the entire (nearby) Coastal Trail. I will definitely be back every time I am in Anchorage!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I arrived at Spenard Hostel in December 2010, and was greeted by a plowed parking lot and a huge mural on the front of the building. The building seemed homely and welcoming at first sight and upon walking through the front door was met by one of the houseparents who welcomed me with a warm hello and smile. The building is layed out over two floors with 4 wings, there are 3 kitchens, a TV room, free wifi, laundry room and the dorms have 4 to six beds in them. The rate is very reasonable at $25 a night plus a weekly rate of $150 and an even more reasonable $300 monthly rate if you plan on spending longer in the fabulous state of Alaska. The place is kept clean by both the houseparents and the guests, who create a unique community which is nice when youre away from home around the holidays and looking for some company.

The best part about the hostel is the houseparents who are pretty much free tour guides around Anchorage. If you are looking for a great day out hiking followed by an awesome night out at Chilkoot Charlies bar down the street then make sure to stop by Spenard hostel!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

I had a lot of fun at this hostel, and in the fall/winter time it feels more like staying with a cool family. Jen the owner is really nice, and Kelly the houseparent was super-great. All the guests were really, really nice too; there was quite a good normal-to-weirdo ratio. The rooms were good, although if you're into security then you're out of luck - no locks on doors. But I never felt like my stuff would get nicked, and I was just a bit more careful, so I didn't worry too much. The only issue I have is with the location (although it's on the bus route and there are tons of fast food joints within walking distance) - the area is a bit of a prostitute/drug den, so if you're female you do tend to get lots of slow drive-bys, stares and offers of a good time. But it is generally safe. I stayed here twice in October, and had positive, fun experiences both times.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Spenard Hostel International? Share your experiences!