“Budget” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #58 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Albany, New York
“Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

This is a budget place. Didn't expect much and it was just a basic room, kinda funny shaped - was long and narrow - and had wireless internet. Hallways were very dingy, room was a bit better.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

While moving up to Anchorage, our original plans fell through; everywhere was booked for the most part, and few hotels up here take small pets (for us, a dog). After backpacking through Canada we wanted a place to shower and rest a bit before house hunting.

We were placed in the 'second' building... which might be different from the first. In any case, it was not good. Trash on floor (including corner of a condom wrapper), dust bunnies everywhere, bathroom not cleaned well, smelled like stale cigarettes.... we took showers (with crocs on), used wi-fi, slept very little and went on our way.

I would suggest staying somewhere else. We should have camped another night.

• Disliked — not sanitary
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

I wrote this on 9/24/08. No answer yet!
Dear Owner of the LongHouse Hotel,
I write in disappointment. A friend and I were your guests last night (September 23) in Room 201.
We were initially placed in 202, but after a return to the desk and Robert’s kind assistance, we couldn’t get any key card to work in that door. So, we went down to the desk again and got key cards for 201, both of which worked maybe one out of four passes (if at all, as I was to learn).
The room was large and clean. The furniture was shabby, but okay... The beds were made up; there were plenty of towels (thin) and soap. Absolutely nothing else, but a Bible. No Kleenex! An absolute first, for me, in a lifetime of travel. No cups (not paper, plastic, or glass), no ice bucket, no list of hotel services. I had read that the hotel had rustic charm, but I did not realize that a “deluxe” room would be so Spartan.
The message light blinked constantly, no matter what we did. We covered it with a towel.
Unfortunately, there is a malfunctioning transformer or other electrical device quite near that room that emits a high-pitched and annoying noise. When I went to close the windows, I found that the handle on one was lying on the sill in pieces and another was stuck open. We turned on the fan in the bathroom (thanks for that—it was my favorite feature of the hotel) and we slept with pillows over our heads.
The breakfast is very nice. When I took my coffee back to my room though, my key card would not work at the outer door. It was raining. Luckily, I had my cell phone and could call my friend to come down and let me in. Also luckily, his card opened our room again so that we could get our luggage and leave.
The woman at the desk, when we checked out, was very nice and apologetic.
Is this the experience you wanted us to have?
This was my one chance to visit Alaska, so offers of future hospitality are of no meaning. I just want to spare others. I will await your response before I post my experience online.
Robert

• Liked — Near the airport
  • Disliked — Crummy, rundown, no Kleenex, broken windows!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Braunfels, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

My expectations were not high to begin with, after reading previous reviews. We arrived at 10pm on a friday night. There were 8 people in the tiny front office waiting for help and only one desk clerk. A group of 6 trying to check into 3 rooms, a man trying to get a room also, and another guest who wanted a fan because his room was apparently hot. The desk clerk was obviously flustered. he had trouble getting rooms for the group of six, even had to go check the door locks or "re-key" some rooms due to the batteries not working or something? anyways, he eventually after a long wait got them checked in. Then next came the single guest. One hour later, we were finally able to check in. ONE HOUR. We finally make it to our room and it is probably atleast 80-85 degrees in there. no A/c so had to open the windows. luckily we had a fan also. all this and no attempt made by the hotel to compensate or discount or room. $150 for one night. plus tax. Also, the next morning the continental breakfast was a joke. A few cereals, a few muffins. The OJ in their mini fridge was warm. I didnt even eat it just went to MCdonalds. Spend the extra money and stay somewhere else.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northern Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

Convenient to the airport and relatively low priced - but for a reason. This place is not clean and did not appear secure to us. No airconditioning, so the windows must be left open - some of which are practically at ground-level if you are on the first floor, and many of the screens are not secure. Our room was very large. Housekeeping did not provide soap or shampoo - the whole place just seemed very seedy.

• Liked — Large size of room.
  • Disliked — Unclean, poor condition, unsecure
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

NOTHING LIKE THE WEBSITE!! BEWARE! Place looks fine enough from the outside, but as soon as we got in our room, we got online and booked another room at a different hotel. Rooms are small and cramped and hot, for almost $200 you get a TV, lumpy bed, and a lamp, that's pretty much it. Not a great part of town, low flying planes all day and night.

The bed is pretty nasty, don't know when they washed the bed spread last (thinking Carter administration) the 2 lone pillows were well past thier prime and have to be folded over to get any support. The windows don't work (had to tear out the loose fitting screen and force them open by hand). On the up side you do get wireless internet like every other hotel, but this one puts a big old fan in the room! Wife paticually loved he scary foam coffee cups in the bathroom, which fit the theme of over all filth in there.

Would glady recomend to people I dislike, or have a vendetta agianst. Everone else should keep searching for a different hotel.

• Liked — Wireless internet and laundry
  • Disliked — The room, price and hotel
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Carlos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

We wanted to stay near the airport due to a late arriving flight so chose this hotel. The website makes it look quite nice and it's not a chain hotel, so we were quite interested in staying there. When we arrived after midnight, it took the clerk 20 minutes to check us in, then there were no towels in the room or Internet access (as advertised), so I called the desk. There wasn't any Internet access in "this building" she said. Towels were to arrive soon...but after 45 minutes I called again and got a "they are coming" comment. At 1:45 AM the towels finally arrived without an apology. The room had not been refurbished for a very long time and just was not really nice at all.

I'd say that between the attitude of the staff (even the next morning), the service, and the rooms, this is not a place to stay, even though it's very very close to the airport.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Long House Alaskan Hotel? Share your experiences!