“Convenient Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Elgin, Texas
“Convenient Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the downtown Clarion on two different occasions within a two-week period. It began our stay in Alaska and ended our stay. On our first stay, we were afoot, and the hotel was centrally located for our walks to the restaurants, weekend market, the Ulu Factory, and even the salmon viewing area. With our second stay, we had a rental car so it took us just minutes to get to locations we had in mind.

It was a very clean hotel, and the staff there was personable and helpful. The breakfast, though typically institutional, was included with our stay. The rooms were comfortable, and this was the only place we stayed in that included a microwave in the rooms. Very appreciative of that for hot tea. Also included a refrigerator.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
rome, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit to Anchorage as a part of an All Alaska Tours vacation. We were very pleased with the location of the Clarion in relation to the airport, train station, and leaving the city by auto. Free parking, free shuttle service,good breakfasts, and friendly staff at the desk. Special kudos to Alton, who volunteered to drive us to the train station when we missed our shuttle. He was helpful in pointing out interesting parts of the city as he took us to the train station. We would definitely stay here again if we are back this way.

Stayed July 2013
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Lodging in Anchorage in the summer is expensive for what you get. This hotel is certainly adequate; helpful staff at the check-in; we took advantage of the free shuttle from the airport. We were able to walk to restaurants. The room included a small separate sitting room with another TV, but we were too exhausted from travel to utilize it. Breakfast buffet was included, with good fruit selection, eggs, cereal, toast, etc. Probably compared to other hotels in the same price range in Anchorage, it is similar.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Hedwig, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The decor is throwback circa 1980. The beds are hard and uncomfortable. The price is extremely high for the quality. $250 per night with taxes. Now for the good stuff. The staff is friendly, helpful and accommodating. The hotel offers a free breakfast with plentiful choices each morning. The linens and towels are a good quality. The rooms, all suites, offer two flat screen televisions, one in each room, a pullout sofa, refrigerator and microwave. The rooms are clean, though sorely outdated. We stayed here during the recent Alaskan heat wave, and were happy the rooms were air conditioned. The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants, museums, shopping, souvenirs, bicycle rentals and trolley tours. Not the worst hotel, and except for the uncomfortable beds, I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to online for a discount. Bring your walking shoes!
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Front desk staff was wonderful and informative. Good value for price paid. A little tacky that baggage is being stored in a conex container in the front of the hotel. Right next to the downtown park. would stay again if in the area

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was the perfect hotel for my 8-day stay in Anchorage. I came to the city to run the Mayor's Marathon and then to do some sightseeing in Alaska. The hotel location was perfect! Walking distance to everything in the downtown area including many very good restaurants, a Starbucks, shops, and the very nice 5th Avenue Mall. The staff were friendly and helpful. The front desk crew are young and so I found that they weren't that knowledgeable about dining options in downtown.

The Clarion offers free parking and free WiFi. You won't get this with some of the other upscale hotels in the downtown area. Returning late a couple of evenings I never had a problem finding parking. It's located on Delaney Park Strip and near Cook Inlet, which puts it on the quiet side of the downtown, away from the traffic yet equally as close to everything as the upscale hotels located downtown.

The rooms are spacious and well-furnished, in very nice condition. I was on the 3rd floor street-side, a few doors down from the elevators, and even though I could hear hallway traffic and conversation while sitting in the living area, once I moved into the bedroom I could not hear any hallway noise at all nor could I hear outside traffic. I found the bed to be very comfortable, even though other reviewers complained that the beds were too hard, and I liked the nice assortment of pillows including down pillows which I prefer. Excellent black-out curtains!!

There's a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in the room, so I could buy snacks for the room and could also bring left-overs from restaurants to heat up the next night. I had two flat-screen TV's in my room, a really large one in the bedroom and a good-sized one in the living area. Lighting is superb! Most fixtures had CFL bulbs with good wattage. The vanity lighting was exceptionally good. I wear contact lenses and so many times the vanity lighting in hotel bathrooms is insufficient or poorly aimed and I have a hard time inserting them.

Other reviewers complained about how loud the a/c unit is...yes it is a bit loud but the pitch is steady, making for good "white noise" in the background, and the unit in my room had no rattles or throbs, so I had no problem falling asleep.

The sitting room has a ceiling fan but no a/c vents so it would get warm in that room if I had the thermostat set for a comfortable temp in the bedroom. If I planned to spend time in the sitting room I would simply set the thermostat to cool the bedroom down and eventually that cool air would make its way to the sitting room.

I would definitely stay here again if I ever make it back to Anchorage. It had everything I needed for an extended stay.

Room Tip: 3rd floor (top floor) on street side is probably the quietest location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We didn't get a chance to enjoy our stay at the Clarion. It was for just one night only, departing early morning. The shuttle only runs on the hour, so we had to leave earlier than we wanted. Since we left before breakfast, they were kind enough to send us on the free shuttle with a yogurt and banana. The suite was quite spacious and clean. I would stay again although I hope that they fix the horribly slow computers in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Clarion Suites Downtown? Share your experiences!