“Perfect for a pre and post Alaska vacation stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #17 of 69 hotels in Anchorage
California
“Perfect for a pre and post Alaska vacation stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here both on the front end and back end of a great Alaskan adventure. I stayed on points for both nights. While the same points as the full service Marriott downtown, I selected this hotel primarily for it's central location and that they don't charge for parking! I believe they also run an airport shuttle.

It's no more than a 10 minute drive to the airport and about the same to downtown. Easy access to just about everything you'd want to do in Anchorage. We were renting an RV so the Walmart right next door came in very handy too.

Rooms are large, complimentary breakfast sufficient for our needs and amenities are typical of a Marriott property. All, in all a great stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Juneau, AK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on business and chose it primarily based on location and price. I was pleasantly surprised with my stay there and especially appreciated the easy-in-and-out location as I was driving to several locations. I usually avoid downtown hotels as you're paying for parking on top of the hotel bill. The room was very clean and well designed. Breakfast was standard eggs, sausages, oatmeal kind of fare, but I was glad it was there. Only minor gripe was that they have this nice lemon water dispenser there but never any cups. I slept well and it was quiet... which is a major must for me. Shopping, restaurants and movies are all nearby and it's a short drive downtown.

Room Tip: I was not on the street side, so my room may have been quieter that those that are.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My family and I stayed here for two nights before driiving to Seward to get on a cruise (about a three hour drive). The hotel was clean and friendly. Breakfast was sufficient and a great central location to explore. If you want a nice hike, Flat Top is close by.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel was probably about my best Alaska hotel experience. The rates are very high in summer, though, so try to use Marriott Rewards points if you have them (same number of points in summer as in winter, so a good deal).

New hotel (perhaps even "stylish"!) with good rooms and a nice free breakfast. The buffet had plenty of choices; definitely one of the better free motel breakfasts I've had lately. Very convenient if you need to be near the airport (free shuttle was pretty quick) or if you have a car. Without a car, I'd probably prefer to stay in downtown Anchorage (just a couple of miles away) if I were in town for a few days.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ft Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We spent one night there after arriving in AK from the east coast. Very clean, and staff was very couteous. Free breakfast was fine considering the price! No complaints at all. Would prefer to stay in the heart of downtown if I were spending more than one night in Anchorage although we were only minutes away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Went to Anchorage for business and stayed here because of its "midtown" location - and from what I could tell it was as good a choice as any (I'm not sure Anchorage is filled with 5-star hotels). The hotel was clean and well maintained, and I liked the simple, clean, layout of the room. I should also add the wifi was excellent so that helped a good amount.

A few points of advisement:
- bring eye shades, the shades are fine but not black-out and in the summer it's light almost all night long
- take advantage of the airport shuttle van, was very useful
- if you want to get around from the hotel, you will either need a taxi or a car - they helped arrange taxis for me

Also, it's right next to what looks to be Anchorage's main movie theater complex, so if you're bored while in town, you can always catch a movie!

I could have used slightly healthier options at breakfast (e.g. some sort of fruit, other kinds of cereal) as opposed to the bread, eggs and sausage-fest, but that's a minor complain.

Anyhow, recommended for a reliable, no fuss experience with nice, clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I do agree with most of the recent reviews that this is overall a very nice hotel.

However, I was motivated to write this review because I was very upset by the way the front desk handled our request for a rollaway bed.

We traveled with our three small (<10 yrs old) children and had hoped to put a rollaway in the room in addition to the two queen beds so our third child could sleep there. We did have a fold-out couch, but since our kids were in bed by 8 most nights, we wanted to keep one end of the room quiet and dark for them to sleep and use the sofa end to read or watch tv quietly after they went to bed. I should also note that this was not a brief stay; we were in the midst of a military move and had to spend 9 nights here.

From the moment of check in we requested the roll away bed, which is listed as complimentary in the information book in the room. We were told every day of the first 2-3 days that the rollaway beds were all being used. The hotel appeared full of families so this seemed reasonable.

On day 4, I approached the front desk again with my request. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "There are none available today." I asked if she knew when one was available and she said, "You can't have one because your room is too small." (first I'd heard of this in 4 days.) I assured here we had plenty of room in our large room. Then she said, "We have no rollaways at this hotel." (odd, because the first night the front desk person was directed to a specific closet where they were supposedly kept.)

At this point I confronted her, as clearly she was lying to my face -- she just gave me three different statements in a row that couldn't all be true...and if there were no rollaways at the hotel at all, why was there a special closet for them? And why didn't they tell us that the FIRST night?

I abhor being lied to. We were strung along for four days and then lied to directly. This is NOT the Marriott service we have known and loved, and is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

We lived just fine without the rollaway bed -- just put one child to bed in our bed at first then transferred them to the sofa bed later -- but treating me like an idiot and lying to my face soured the hotel experience for me during an already stressful time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown? Share your experiences!