“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Saint James, New York
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

this hotel is in an excellent location for the train very comfortable roomthe shuttle to the train was very good toothe price was a little high but the location was great. we did not use the pool because we were too tired but the breakfast in the morning was adequate

• Stayed July 2013
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we really hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Ossian, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a nice, clean hotel with comfortable beds, but it was not a restful night. We chose this hotel because it was close to the train station - and it was - the train whistle will jolt you awake in the morning (not the hotel's fault!) The Ulu knife factory is just next door and the trolley ride uptown was outstanding!

Our complaint started when the power went off about 9 PM. The room got extremely hot and stuffy, but we were exhausted from our travels, so we did eventually nod off. The next thing we knew the fire alarm was going off. We shuffled through the hall and down the stairs in the near dark - the lights were not working - and outside. We waited and waited for someone to give us some information or direction but no hotel staff came to talk to us - we were on one end of the hotel. We finally talked to another guest who told us the fire alarm went off because of the power outage and there was no danger so we went back to our room and tried to go back to sleep. Soon after we got back in bed, the hotel staff came down the hall and started discussing the lighting problem in the stairway - Loudly. Needless to say, we did not get a restful nights sleep.

When we checked out I asked the girl at the front desk if we could be compensated for having such a rough night and all she gave us was a complaint form to fill out. She said the power outage affected the whole block and was "not the hotel's fault." I understand that sometimes things happen that are beyond the control of a business, but the customer service here was very poor. There was no apology or giving us a break on the price of the stay. What concerns me more is that through the whole ordeal, we never had ANYONE from the hotel check on us or give us information about what was going on when the fire alarm went off. I guess we were just a $ sign. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I would like to take this time to apologize for the inconveniences that you had while staying at our property. Although the power outage that we experienced during your stay was not a fault of the hotel, we understand how inconvenient this was for our guests. I do apologize for none of our hotel staff coming out to let you know the fire alarm was a false alarm and we have already ensured that retraining of the staff has taken place. We are grateful for your patience during the outage and everything the hotel went through and I am sorry that this experience has painted a negative picture on our property. I would love to speak to you about these issues personally and please feel free to call the hotel to do so at any time. Thank you.
Martinsburg, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Basic, no frills hotel. Just for a few hours sleep it was okay. The included breakfast was very good. It was conveniently located to the train station where we arrived and courtsey transportation was there waiting. The 5 a.m. train whistle was quite the wake up call. You cannot walk to anything from this location. Courtesy transportation to the airport next morning was helpful.

Would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! We are glad you enjoyed the time you spent with us and hope to see you again!
Moose Pass, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was our third visit to this hotel, spanning over a year's time. We keep going back because it's proven itself as reliable, and especially good for traveling with children. The rooms are nice & spacious, with a sitting area. A fridge, microwave, and coffee maker all are very convenient. This time we stayed on the first floor, and despite a seemingly full house (lobby was very busy), we had no issues with noise from the hall or room above. The breakfast is fabulous compared to other hotels we've stayed in: scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, toast, muffins, cold cereal, instant oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, & of course coffee. Considering most places call a bagel "continental breakfast," this is pretty impressive. The pool is nice, never too cold. The staff is extremely friendly and goes out of their way to be helpful. We love this hotel!

Room Tip: Being by the train depot, it can be loud...we didn't hear them at all, though, in the middle of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are so happy that you have enjoyed your time with us over the last year and we really look forward to seeing you and your family in the future!
Amherst, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Although most of the issues we had with this place were, I think, out of their control, the review reflects our experience. We stayed twice here between vacation travel to other parts of Alaska. The inn is nice enough, maybe a tad worn around the edges, including the rooms. There is a fairly standard breakfast with scrambled eggs, sausage, make-your-own waffles, yogurt, fruit, etc. The location is across the tracks from downtown, so slightly out of the way but certainly within walking distance.

The airport shuttle is handy and appreciated, but be careful not to hop on the "Comfort Suites" airport shuttle that's advertised on the shuttle-call wall at baggage claim, which we did. That wouldn't have been a major issue except that the phones were down at the Comfort Inn the night that we arrived, so it wasn't easy to rectify the situation. Check-in, when we finally did get there, was a bit hectic because dead phone lines meant that the desk was operating off personal cell phones to handle reservations and couldn't process credit cards until the next day.

Dead phones weren't a major inconvenience, but the power outage when we arrived late one evening for our next stay was. I'm not sure when it started, but power didn't come back until 3 am or so. Meanwhile, we had to drag the suitcases up two flights of stairs, find our room down unlit halls and get ready for bed in the dark. Fortunately, I had packed a flashlight and the daylight that lingers in Anchorage through midnight helped also. So we did settle in and were just nodding off when the fire alarm sounded. We got most of the way downstairs when someone managed to reset it and things were mostly okay from then on with one brief additional alarm when the power came back on in the morning. The room did get fairly hot, too, with the ceiling fan not working...who expects to be sweltering in the dark in the Land of the Midnight Sun?!

I don't know if the phone or power issues were preventable, but I don't think I'd return to this unlucky place, even though the staff was friendly and resourceful. The whole point of staying here was to get some rest and sleep between excursions, and the issues delayed or prevented this for us. (I almost forgot to mention that the hotel sits between passenger trains tracks on one side and freight train tracks on the other - one or both services provide loud whistles throughout the night.) There was one cool thing, though - we peeked out our window in the morning at the fishermen swarming the creek behnd the hotel at just the right time to find a black bear ambling down the sidewalk about twenty feet away! Certainly a "Welcome to Alaska" moment...

Room Tip: Both sides have train noise, although the ones in back overlook Ship Creek, so marginally more pictu...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I would like to take this time to apologize for the inconveniences that you had while staying at our property. Although the power outage that we experienced during your stay was not a fault of the hotel, we understand how inconvenient this was for our guests. We are grateful for your patience during the outage and everything the hotel went through and I am sorry that this experience has painted a negative picture on our property. I would love to speak to you about these issues personally and please feel free to call the hotel to do so at any time. Thank you.
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I actually did not stay at this property on this stay, but I won't make that mistake again. I was misdirected by the front desk staff at my hotel, which will remain nameless for the sake of this review, for a particular errand on my last day in Anchorage, and found myself stranded, waiting for a taxi that did not seem to be coming. I saw Kami in the Comfort Inn shuttle and offered her some money to take me downtown, and when she found out where I was staying, said, "oh that's one of our sister properties, get in, I'll take you for nothing". Thank you thank you, thank you. She was wonderful and basically saved my last day, as my travel partner was ready to wring my neck for getting us stranded. Kami gave us a little tour on the way to where we needed to go and was so friendly, she definitely earned the Comfort Inn a good review here!! So, thank you again, and next time I need to stay in that area, I will go straight to your facility and not bother with the one I was at. Oh yes, the front desk and I had a a little pow-wow about the bad advice they gave me at my hotel, so it hopefully won't happen again to the next guest who asks, but they've lost me to the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad that Kami was able to help you while you were in Anchorage and we are looking forward to seeing you at our hotel soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My family stayed here a lot when I was younger, but as an adult I always chose another hotel for my family because this one had become run down and the whole hotel had become permiated with the smell of stale cigarette smoke.... But on a recent trip to Anchorage we were left with few options and were catching the train in the morning (RIGHT across the street) so we stayed here, and let me tell you, it was a HUGE surprise to see all the improvements they have done with their remodel! I was clean, updated, and smelled fresh and clean! The only complaint that I could say I do have, is that their continental breakfast is bad...really really bad.. The eggs were sitting in 1/2" of standing water, the sausages seemed microwaved, the toaster only worked on 1 side, and their fruit selection was nearly non existant. That and the fact that the train whistle goes off several times during the night seemingly INSIDE your room ( I know they can't help this....but it is definitely something to keep in mind, especially when traveling with small children or anyone with a heart condition ;-) ) I must say I was pleasantly surprised and will more than likely return!!

Room Tip: The ship creek view is prettier but does put you just THAT much closer to the above mentioned train...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our recent remodel and I want to thank you for your comments on our breakfast. We are working every day to perfect the amenities that we offer at our hotel and your comments will only help us to improve. Thank you and we hope to see you again!

Been to Comfort Inn Ship Creek? Share your experiences!