“the shuttle driver saved my trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 69 Hotels in Anchorage
Minneapolis, MN
“the shuttle driver saved my trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I actually did not stay at this property on this stay, but I won't make that mistake again. I was misdirected by the front desk staff at my hotel, which will remain nameless for the sake of this review, for a particular errand on my last day in Anchorage, and found myself stranded, waiting for a taxi that did not seem to be coming. I saw Kami in the Comfort Inn shuttle and offered her some money to take me downtown, and when she found out where I was staying, said, "oh that's one of our sister properties, get in, I'll take you for nothing". Thank you thank you, thank you. She was wonderful and basically saved my last day, as my travel partner was ready to wring my neck for getting us stranded. Kami gave us a little tour on the way to where we needed to go and was so friendly, she definitely earned the Comfort Inn a good review here!! So, thank you again, and next time I need to stay in that area, I will go straight to your facility and not bother with the one I was at. Oh yes, the front desk and I had a a little pow-wow about the bad advice they gave me at my hotel, so it hopefully won't happen again to the next guest who asks, but they've lost me to the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad that Kami was able to help you while you were in Anchorage and we are looking forward to seeing you at our hotel soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My family stayed here a lot when I was younger, but as an adult I always chose another hotel for my family because this one had become run down and the whole hotel had become permiated with the smell of stale cigarette smoke.... But on a recent trip to Anchorage we were left with few options and were catching the train in the morning (RIGHT across the street) so we stayed here, and let me tell you, it was a HUGE surprise to see all the improvements they have done with their remodel! I was clean, updated, and smelled fresh and clean! The only complaint that I could say I do have, is that their continental breakfast is bad...really really bad.. The eggs were sitting in 1/2" of standing water, the sausages seemed microwaved, the toaster only worked on 1 side, and their fruit selection was nearly non existant. That and the fact that the train whistle goes off several times during the night seemingly INSIDE your room ( I know they can't help this....but it is definitely something to keep in mind, especially when traveling with small children or anyone with a heart condition ;-) ) I must say I was pleasantly surprised and will more than likely return!!

Room Tip: The ship creek view is prettier but does put you just THAT much closer to the above mentioned train...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our recent remodel and I want to thank you for your comments on our breakfast. We are working every day to perfect the amenities that we offer at our hotel and your comments will only help us to improve. Thank you and we hope to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We started and ended our trip to Alaska at this hotel. Room was pleasant. Had everything we needed for both overnight stays. Had a laundry and breakfast early the next morning was adequate. Great shuttle. Have to admit that every place we stayed in Alaska had wonderful shuttle service.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Comfort Inn and we really hope to see you again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel's location next to Ship Creek is not particularly scenic. The area is industrial and not located (conveniently) near any downtown attractions. We upgraded to a "view" room ($10 fee) which was probably not worth the price, since all we could see were some trees and the industrial area.
However, the hotel perfectly suited our needs, providing an airport shuttle, comfy bed, and early shuttle to the Alaska Railroad. They even start the continental breakfast early (5 am) for people taking the 6:45 train. The restaurant next door (really the only food option in walking distance) was delicious. We ordered the mixed skillet, which came with kabobs of halibut, salmon, and venison, and plenty of veggies.
One major complaint I had with this hotel is the airport shuttle. I called after we got our baggage (as instructed), and was told the shuttle had just left the airport, but would be back for us in 30 min. We gave our names and party number (2 people). When the shuttle returned, we were told we couldn't ride because the driver had to take a party of 10, and he didn't have room for 12 people. He said he'd be back in another 30 minutes. The whole situation was pretty disorganized, with both us and the driver not sure about what was going on. I called the hotel, and they said they'd reimburse me for a cab ride (which I thought was a nice solution). When I arrived, however, they only reimbursed me for the cab fare, not the tip (was I not supposed to tip the cab driver?).
Anyway, the customer service at the front desk was pretty lacking as well; the girl seemed busy and frustrated and it showed (snappy, no smiles).
If I had to do it over, I would get a cheaper place in the city (like Guesthouse Inn and Suites). Other hotels also had shuttles to the Rail.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor! I am so sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter with our shuttle service. This is not how we take care of our customers here at Comfort Inn and we will ensure that this problem gets rectified immediately. Thank you for bringing this to our attention as it will only help us improve. We hope to see you again!
Simcoe, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

So close to the Alaska Railroad station! Free shuttle to the station. Very comfortable with a great breakfast. We also enjoyed the yummy cookies in the evening. Beds were good. Staff was helpful and friendly. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad that we could help you have a comfortable stay with us at Comfort Inn and we really hope to see you again in the future. Have a great summer!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was our first stop on an Alaskan trip. We liked this hotel as it was close to the train station here we needed to go the next day to catch a train. The lobby was beautiful -- not huge by any means -- but comfortable and definitely with an Alaska theme. Hallways carry the same theme throughout. Staff at the desk were helpful. The room was fine, especially for an overnight. Breakfast was okay. Something to put in our stomachs before a train trip that left early. I'd certainly stay there again for convenience and comfort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Comfort Inn Ship Creek and we really hope to see you again in the future!
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We chose to stay here because we had an early train in the morning. We were concerned the proximity to the station would mean noise, but with the AC and well insulated windows, we never heard a thing. The staff was friendly, our room was newly re-done and the ample breakfast opened early to accommodate the early train. It was an easy 5-10 minute walk to the station.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
cgiliam, General Manager at Comfort Inn Ship Creek, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Comfort Inn Ship Creek and we really hope to see you again in the future. Have a great summer!

Been to Comfort Inn Ship Creek? Share your experiences!