“Good spot” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel has a great location as it'very close to the city centre. Just a few blocks and you have the information centre and also the 5th avenue mall.
Has a great price considering other 4 star hotels. The front desk unfortunately is not their best part, as the people were very informal and sometimes rude (seems like they are doing you a favor). Another negative point was the concierge, available from 11 am until 5 pm - in other words, all time you are out of the hotel.
Always ask for the upgrade to the club as they have a honest breakfast.
The rooms are clean, with great linens and pillows - ask for mountain view :)

I would certainly stay here again, however, if you can afford captain cook, its a good idea.
Dont stay out of the city centre as you'll have to drive a lot and the best part ist walk on the calm streets of Anchorage.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear RODOLFOBL,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. I am so very happy that you had a nice experience. Thanks for mentioning our comfortable beds clean rooms and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service in a clean and well maintained environment. I apologize that your interaction with our front desk associates was not as it should have been. I will share your comments and experience with our FD management and service teams (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can learn from your experience and improve.

I did want to clarify one point on our partnership with BAC concierge services. Their operating hours are 1 - 7 pm daily through the summer. I apologize if the information you were provided was incorrect.

I hope that if business or pleasure brings you back to Anchorage that we might serve as your hosts again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Canyon Lake, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We came here after our cruise before we got on a flight home. We weren't in the room for 10 minutes and the fire alarm went off. We went outside only to be told it was a false alarm. We couldn't get back to our room for a half hour because nobody knew what key reset the elevators. We found out that there was no creamer in our room and it took me a half hour to get some from downstairs.
This hotel is over priced and not worth it. Sheraton used to be a good company. Not anymore. I'll never stay here again. We thought we would get a nice hotel, this wasn't.

• Stayed July 2013
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Bard M,

Thank you for posting a review from your visit on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your experience at our hotel. The fire alarm was caused by someone maliciously activating a pull station in the parking structure. There was no fire, no emergency. I apologize that we could not reset the elevators until given the all clear from the Anchorage Fire Department. I will personally look into why it took so long to deliver creamer to your room.

All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests. I feel awful that your experience has caused you to have such a poor opinion of our property and operations.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your stay with me so that we are best able to improve from your experience.

My direct line at the hotel is 907-343-3143, or you may email me at jon.kranock@sheratonanchorage.com.
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great stay here - staff was helpful, room was very spacious and comfortable. Parking fees standard for Anchorage. Location close to the museum, which was nice. Walkable distance to downtown and major area attractions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear JessikaJessika,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our helpful team members, spacious, comfortable rooms and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were originally scheduled to stay at the Captain Cook during our Princess cruise to Alaska. That hotel was overbooked and we were bumped to the Sheraton. We tried to get Princess to change us back but to no avail. I wish we had tried harder. When we arrived after 4pm on June 18th, rooms were not ready for the 20 or so people on our bus. It took about an hour to get checked in with very poor communication from the front desk to us.
We chose to eat at the Jade restaurant that evening. When we arrived at the restaurant, there were only 3 tables filled. All 3 of those were already dining. When we placed our orders, it took over 30 minutes to get our two meals. I had ordered my steak medium. It arrived well done. It took almost 20 minutes for our waiter to stop by again to see how our meal was. When we complained about the steak, he did offer to replace it, but by then I had eaten half of it and chose not to wait another 30 minutes. The restaurant did not get busy during our time there, at most, there were 5 other tables. It could not be said that the place was busy.
At one point during the meal, a staff member came from the kitchen area with water to refill glasses. She walked right by our table, even though our glasses were all but empty. She filled glasses at other tables, then proceeded to walk back past us. We had to stop her to get water.
Any drinks had to be filled at the bar which is across the lobby from the restaurant (maybe 40 yards away by the time you get to the bar). It was amazing to see the parade of staff going to the bar and taking several minutes to return with only one or two drinks. I would think there would be a more efficient method to speed up this process, perhaps ordering the drinks via computer from the restaurant and being informed when they are ready so staff doesn't have to wait for them.
All in all this was the worst experience of our two week trip. After dining, we felt it necessary to mention the poor experience at the restaurant. We would have complained to the manager of the restaurant when he or she came to our table, but no one ever stopped by. So we stopped by the front desk and told our story. We were promised a call after the desk looked into our story. We got a call about an hour later and was told that no one at the bar remembered anything about a meal being late. After explaining that the problem was with the restaurant, not the bar, we were told to expect another call soon. About an hour later, we were called and told that half of our bill would be credited to our charge card. It has now been 19 days and no credit has appeared on our account. The full charge for the meal was charged.
I have family in the Anchorage area that picked us up the next morning and they told us that the Sheraton has a poor reputation in Anchorage. I would highly recommend avoiding the Jade restaurant at all costs, and be very skeptical of the Sheraton Anchorage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Ronn F,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay in our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your experience. I feel terrible that we let you down. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests.

I will share your experience and comments with our entire food and beverage team, both service and culinary (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we can learn from your comments/experience, become a stronger team and improve our product/services.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit and to make sure that we follow through on our promise to reverse the charge for the meal that you did not enjoy.

Plains, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were there for a hotel convention in May. The rooms weren't very big, but the staff more than made up for any shortcomings. My friends had fallen from cramps in her legs and someone on staff came to help. They stayed with her and messaged her legs until everything was fine. I can't say enough about their staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sheila M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review from your visit on tripadvisor. I appreciate your recognizing how exceptional our team member is. It is truly a privilege for me to work with such an exceptional group of people who sincerely care about our guests. I will be sure to share your review and comments with our entire team.

Highland, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our group of 19 was on a packaged land tour and Sheraton Anchorage Hotel was one of our overnight stops. This Hotel was wonderful. Full amenities, (restaurant, spa, fitness center, black out curtains-if you've ever been in Alaska in the Summer you know how crucial those are when you are not used to it still being light out at midnight) and within walking distance of many fabulous stores and restaurants. Other stops were more rustic, so this was a luxury to us. If I were to go back to Anchorage I wouldn't mind spending another night or two at this Sheraton. Other guests had minor problems, but you could overhear conversations and the staff was quick to take care of anything to make everyone's stay pleasant, not just our large group.

Room Tip: Our group was split up on several floors and it didn't seem to make a difference to anyone that...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ruth H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on tripadvisor. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your commenting on our great team members, "wonderful" hotel amenities, and convenient location. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional guest service in a clean/well maintained facility. It's gratifying to read your review. I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team.

I hope you had a wonderful time on your tour.

karachi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Having made the booking 3 months in advance when I arrived at the hotel in the midnight of 18th June for 2 nights stay, I was told that due to maintenance they have shortage of rooms and that I can be shifted to Marriott and will be given 4000 Starwood points. I said that I should have been informed of this via email and that I could have booked Marriott myself.

Moreover, offer of 4000 points is not acceptable to me and that being member of regular TripAdvisor community I will write a bad review. Lady then said give me a moment and then said that I will have to off load someone and gave me a room and asked for a good review as such she had done a big favor to me. The Club level as well as rooms are of 3* level and the breakfast area is too small with very poor quality items.

Following morning having not seen any maintenance work I asked the bell boy who too was unaware of the same. Thus I recommend Starwoood to consider removing this 3* hotel from its list.

Room Tip: Travelers should consider other properties including Hilton which is centrally located.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
JonKranock, General Manager at Sheraton Anchorage Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Kiwipak,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting a review on Tripadvisor from your visit. I want to sincerely apologize for your experience at the front desk while checking in. We did have a situation where a military group had to extend their stay due to mechanical issues with their aircraft. That put us in a position where we had to relocate some guests to other hotels. The way you were approached by our front desk was not correct. We are very grateful for your patronage. Obviously that was not communicated effectively. I feel terrible that we let you down. All of us at the Sheraton Anchorage Hotel and Spa are committed to providing exceptional service and a clean, well maintained environment for our guests.

I have personally shared your experience and comments with our front office team (in an educational and constructive manner) and with the individual who checked you in so that they and we can learn from our mistakes, become stronger and improve our product/services.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I may gather some more specific details about your visit. I realize that you are busy, but hope that you might find the time to discuss your experience with me so that we are best able to improve.

Thank you.

Been to Sheraton Anchorage Hotel? Share your experiences!