“Please put soap in bathroom! Noisy. Inexpensive.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Anchorage City Limits Lofts

Save Saved
You added Anchorage City Limits Lofts to your Saves list
Anchorage City Limits Lofts
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   239 W 4th Ave., Anchorage, AK 99501 (Formerly Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Anchorage)   |
Ranked #41 of 69 Hotels in Anchorage
Hartford, Connecticut
“Please put soap in bathroom! Noisy. Inexpensive.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Pros: convenient location, free parking, and inexpensive. OMG! Please put some soap in the bathroom for guests to use and wash the walls. Dirty - ick. Going through renovations and rolls of carpet in hallway - not especially appealing. 2nd floor, streetside is overwhelmingly loud and noisy - avoid at all costs if you want to sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid second floor and avoid street side.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We got off to a rocky start...We checked in and went to our room, but the key didn't work. We went back to the desk and were assigned a different room, and that key didn't work either (twice). Finally they sent housekeeping to let us in and the room wasn't clean. So we went back to our original room and finally got a working key on the fourth try. I think they're making renovations to the hotel, but it's definitely not up to par yet. The room was dark and felt dirty (I showered with my sandals on and wondered if I really felt any cleaner), furniture was scratched and damaged, and the bathroom looked like a kid had taken a purple crayon to the door, counter, and floor.
That being said, the location is excellent (4th ave is the main street downtown) and this was one of our cheapest stays. We didn't feel that it was worth it and were glad that we only had one night there. I wouldn't say ABSOLUTELY don't stay here, but really weigh what's important before you commit.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotels in Downtown Anchorage are not cheap during the summer. The rate I paid for 3 adults was reasonable than other hotels. This is a motel with many rooms at a convenient location with plenty of parking. The staff was polite and friendly. The room was large and the beds comfortable with no frills. This establishment is a good base to explore Anchorage and surrounding areas / nature. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to one of the stairs or elevators so it'd be easier to access the parking...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Was booked into this hotel by United Airlines, due to cancelled flight out of Anchorage, Alaska. We arrived and the hotel was more like a 2-hour room rental. The hotel was in horrible condition and the room they gave us had broken glass all over the living room area. My husband thought at first someone broke into the room. The bed had been slept in and not cleaned up!!! Tiles were missing from the ceiling (which were only like 7 foot high in the corridor) and hallways were very long (think of the movie "The Shining"…you get the picture). Tiles were missing from the ceiling, up and down the corridors!! There were not any fire exits, carpet torn up in the hallways. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! I called my daughter to look for another hotel and she called me to tell us to get out right away…they had bed bugs!!! She got us another room at the Historical Anchorage Hotel! It was a great hotel. Still trying to get refunded by United for the horrible room at The Lofts!!

Room Tip: The rooms had very thin walls. We heard all kinds of crazy stuff walking to our room. I knew from...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a terrible experience. We reached at 1:30am at night and the room wasn't ready. The Room shown to us was not properly made. We opened the curtains and there was a dumpster and 2 people standing there with no intention of leaving.

We asked for a different room, they gave it to us but it only had one bed, when the reservation was for 2 beds. We preferred this room to the other with people parked outside the window. So we ended up sleeping on the floor of that room at 3:30am finally.

I think this is some kind of extended stay place with rooms for short stay as well.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My experience in Anchorage was that all the hotels are very pricey and the quality varies dramatically. For me, people matter and can really make a difference in your experience. The staff at City Limits went above and beyond. Family-owned and trying their best to work through a set of renovations in a huge complex, they are obviously hard-working and really care about their guests. I was sad to read many of the reviews here because so much of it is focused on trivial things. The most recent gentleman, a veteran who received a huge discount ($256 to $140 in a city where EVERYWHERE is over $200 unless you are staying in a hostel) eviscerated the place over... a completely enclosed bathroom? and a missing screen? It's not the Hilton but few of us can afford to stay there- this is a safe, clean hotel with amazing staff.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I called to find a place and they quoted me $256/night +12% tax for a double room with two full beds. I told them I was retired military and they said, oh, you get a discount...$139/night flat. I was like, DEAL! We got there the first night and the place has a tiny parking lot behind the hotel that butts up to a huge pay-to-park lot, which you cannot park at. The whole place is falling down and has the feel of a slum warren. The room was large enough, but it didn't even have a 1 cup coffee maker. The bathroom was completely enclosed and did not even have a fan in it. The second night we stayed (by force not choice) the tv was missing the cable that plugs it into the wall, we had no trashcan, the phone didn't work (so we couldn't even call to complain), and the room was missing the screen. The front desk told us they would get to it the next day. We told them no, and then they changed us to a new room a few doors down. The mattresses in both rooms were old and you felt like you were sleeping on rusty springs with cloth stretched over them. I would sleep on a bench before I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Anchorage City Limits Lofts? Share your experiences!