“What an arm-pit!” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Juneau, Alaska
“What an arm-pit!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Very disappointing. I never expected to see a Best Western in this condition. Looked to me like the place was in the beginning stages of a remodel. They should NOT have been open during this time. There was mold in the bathroom and it looked like the walls had about 4 thick layers of paint on them. Ick.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel for a good room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Lisa M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Yes we are under renovation. Unfortunately there is no good time to do upgrades in a hotel that is not seasonal. We try to do everything we can to minimize the impact on our guest. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. As far as the issue in your room I have discussed this with staff because that is definitely not our standard. If you are ever in Anchorage in the future and would like to stay with us again to see the remodel completed please give me a call directly and I will make sure you are taken care of.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fairbanks, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This hotel was in poor condition and looked like they ran out of money during a renovation. Finishes were torn up all over the place, plastic was hanging behind the front desk, elevators feel old and shady, and stairwells do not extend to the ground floor.
The available "high speed" Internet was maxed out at 500 MBps and was not able to maintain a connection. For comparison my LTE cell phone could get 20 GBps in my room.
There were frequently intoxicated guests in the hallways at all hours of the night and the place felt like a halfway house for rehab patients.
I do not recommend staying here to anyone. Pay the extra $10 and go down the street to another hotel

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Lisa M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. Yes we in the middle of an extensive renovation. Unfortunately there is never a good time to do such things. We are replacing all public space flooring, New furniture and bedding packages in our rooms. Completely updating our lobby. We hope to be completely done by the end of March.

As for the other issue you mentioned I will address them with staff and get them addressed. If you are ever in Anchorage again I would like to invite you back to see the finished product and I am confident you would be more satisfied. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will make sure you are well taken care of.

Fairbanks, AK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is a good place to stay in Anchorage. I consider the location to be good access to midtown and the Seward highway. They were remodeling while I was there, but everything went smooth. The billing was a little weird, but worked out right.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for us. I hope if you are in Anchorage again you will choose to stay with us we appreciate your business.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Not a 5 star hotel or anything but for the price you cant beat the vaule. Free in room WiFi, nice flat screen tv in the room with lots of channels. On site restaurant. My only issue is that everytime I stay there I reccomend the room hotel guide to be updated and it never is updated. It still has phone listings for TWA airlines and Continental for instance

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for doing a review for us. I will look into why they have not taken that out of the guest directories. Thank you for pointing it out and sorry it had not been passed on when you did before.

I hope you choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Anchorage.

Goodyear, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at the end of a 10 day vacation that had stretched from Seward to Denali National Park. Perfect choice! Able to easily get anywhere around Anchorage. Curtains provided good light blocking so we could sleep (not used to those 11pm sunsets!). The on site lounge provided a place to relax and the staff was very friendly. Room was well maintained, and small frig was convenient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing a review for us. It sounds like you had a nice vacation. I hope if you are ever in Anchorage you will choose to stay with us again.

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I spent about 30 nights there - it was all good. Personnel were properly attentive and helpful. The elevator was a little slow and the shower water pressure was a little low. But everything else was great.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review for us. We appreciate you staying with us while in Anchorage.

Whitehorse, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel is really well located and easy to find (not too central and central enough to be surrounded by shops and restaurants. The housekeeping staff is really friendly, but don't expect a great service from the front desk clerks. Overall I still had a great stay because a great time in Anchorage.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!