“Fine Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 69 Hotels in Anchorage
Anchorage, Alaska
“Fine Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is a basic budget hotel. Pretty standard Best Western from my previous experience. The room was clean, and the property looked in good repair.

The bathroom was clean. The sheets and towels were all clean and in good shape.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

Our rooms were clean as well as the linen. Front desk friendly and helpful. I am from Fairbanks and the prices are in there (try paying the price of fuel and electric in Alaska) live band on the lounge as well as dance lessons. It was nice to have a restaurant and not just a simple continental breakfast, you can have a light meal, like fresh fruit, granola or yogurt if you please. Dinners are nice as well. They have a fitness room, sauna, and a salon if you want. If you complain about the price, look at our gas prices compared to yours.

• Stayed August 2011
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel was a short (but $20) cab ride from the airport, and located right across the street from a bus stop which I used the following day to go downtown where I picked up my rental car, saving a bundle over renting the car at the airport with its high taxes. Room was a nice size with a microwave and small refrigerator. Decor appears to have been updated in the last few years, except for the TV, although it was a large screen. Computer terminal in the lobby was helpful. Front desk staff were friendly and efficient. The price was especially reasonable with my government discount. I would have appreciated a free breakfast and a restaurant that stayed open later (the first night I arrived after 10 pm and there was no place to eat in the hotel or within walking distance outside the hotel). If I did this over, I would have eaten at the airport before taking the cab to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

The hotel is ok. I have stayed at other Best Westerns and this is not on the top of my list. The rooms were clean but the doors closed strange. They did not have a free breakfast like other Best Westerns. The wireless internet was pretty slow.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Kenai, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

I requested a quiet room and got one on the side of the hotel that is up against the highway--very noisy. But it was not the hotel's fault that my room was also next to a room housing a very drunk and very loud person. Finally at 12 am I called the front desk and the clerk immediately asked me if I wanted to move. Clearly she had been through this before and she was calm and professional. I gathered my things, she moved me a few doors down and on the other side of the hotel: much better and I was able to sleep. Beds were comfortable and rooms are large, but there is no pool and the restaurant needs serious help. The location is central to the hospital and university, and all staff were very pleasant. Here's the bad news: 36 Bistro.

Thirty-Six Bistro, the hotel restaurant, is incredibly expensive and the food quality is poor, like an old cafeteria full of warmed over food where no one cares anymore. $11 for a breakfast of hard old chunks of steam tray potatoes with two eggs is just not okay. To make it worse, both meals we had at this restaurant included long absences by our wait staff, as the kitchen sends them around to make room service deliveries on every floor WHILE THEY ARE WORKING as wait staff in the restaurant, and the second waiter will not help you unless you get up and go ask her (which I finally did at dinner as our waiter dropped the plates, then disappeared for 20 minutes--the other server spent that time chatting with the hostess as the place was deserted. Why didn't they send the other waitress to do room service? I had happened to see our waiter staggering from the kitchen into the hotel with a huge tray of room service right after dropping our plates; same thing happened at breakfast to our poor waitress!). The steak ordered medium rare was a variety of colors from gray to blood-red inside; seafood chowder was unpleasantly flavored by something that tasted like mold. French fries were so encrusted with salt that even my eight year old fast-food-loving son said, uh, no thanks mom. However the battered halibut was excellent: light, crisp, tasty and hot. Go figure. We had no waiter to address these issues, or fill water glasses etc, as he was sent off to room service for so long. I think the hotel and restaurant serve mostly medicaid clients from out of town who have food vouchers, which may explain the ridiculous prices for the poor quality food; but that still isn't right. I don't think anyone who lives in Anchorage ever patronizes this restaurant.
There are hotels in Anchorage priced the same that have pools and are more modern. For the price it isn't bad, just do not eat in the restaurant. It's a bit of a walk to anywhere else to eat, so hopefully you have a car if you stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010 via mobile

My stay at the best western golden lion was actually way better than I thought it would be.. I stayed due to the nearness of providence hospital. The hotel was very nice, very comfortable beds and pillows, amazing staff.. Maxine was an amazing house keeper, blonde housekeeper was sort if rude but I didn't let it bother me.. Front desk provided excellent Service, Charmaine and Kia were awesome and made sure the room was just right for me. I will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed November 2010
Kaneohe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Great location for a visitor, convenient access to main roadways in all directions. Older hotel in need of a renovation. Everything a little worn and dated. Worst of all were the beds which were way to soft, so soft you sink into the middle.
Staff was very friendly and a special shout out to "Aloha" at the front desk.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!