“Not great, if Holland America is the standard” 3 of 5 stars

Westmark Anchorage
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   720 W 5th Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501   |
Ranked #25 of 69 hotels in Anchorage
Denver, Colorado
“Not great, if Holland America is the standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here with my family before heading up to Denali. After a long day (our flight from Seattle was delayed four hours, and we didn't get into Ted Stevens until 11:30pm), I was looking forward to crashing in the elegant hotel depicted on Westmark's website. In my tired state, I initially wondered if I had been accidentally put in the Motel 6. The rooms are tiny, and look like they haven't been renovated since the 70s. For over $200 per night, this is overpriced.
Regardless, the sleep quality was good, and if you need a quick in-and-out place to stay in Anchorage, you could do worse.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Kake, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this hotel. First of all it is outdated: everything from the stale carpet to the 1970 mattress. There were cigarette burn holes in the blankets. The staff was friendly but the housekeeping has much to be desired; there was someone's socks left in the bathroom and the dust under the counter clearly said "I don't get vacuumed under here." Additionally, I ate at the hotel restaurant on my last evening only to have a homeless guy sit across from me and eat my dinner - that was not acceptable with me. Security is a huge issue for this hotel - every evening there were at least 7+ people hanging out behind the dumpsters right where you have to walk by to get to the hotel parking lot. Until this hotel gets some serious security put into place and updates it's room, I will never return to this place.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night after returning from Denali. Room was clean and had a great view and location! Luggage had already arrived. We requested more blankets and they were delivered hours after request. Balcony was a great plus. Staff was somewhat helpful. Scale in lobby came in very handy as we shopped a little too much! Overall nice stay!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Talent, OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were put in this hotel by Holland America at the end of a cruisetour. Holland American just so happens to own the property.

The architectural style can be best described as early cinder block. The floor under the carpet was most likely concrete that had, at some point, shifted and been patched resulting in one area that was easy to trip over. The room was fairly large, but the old sliding door going to the balcony made it noisy.

The hotel seemed quite concerned about their elevators, posting limits that should have been well below the actual capacity of the elevator. During one ride up to our room, the elevator jerked to a stop, paused for a bit, and then started back up.

This hotel was well below the quality of the others that Holland American placed us in. It needs some major remodeling to come close to today's standards. I can't help but wonder if that can be done without tearing it down and starting over!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairbanks, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just stayed in one of the suites as part of a weekend trip to Anchorage. As many others have stated, the rooms were clean, customer service was fine but some modernization and upgrades could help a lot. One thing that especially bugged me was the lighting in the rooms. Every lamp was fitted with a energy saving bulb that cast a stark grey-blue light that never warmed up. The whole room felt grey-green. The florescent lighting at my work is more homey. I realize this sounds very petty but it was so noticeable that we almost switched hotels. For nearly $200 a night I expected the rooms to be, at the very least, inviting. I really want to give an AVERAGE review but I just can't. Comfortable lighting should be a quick and easy fix. Props to the hotel for thinking about energy conservation but I know there are warmer energy saving bulbs to be had because we have them in our home. Luckily we spent most of out time out on the town shopping and enjoying the nearby lounges and restaurants. The close location to these establishments and one of our favorite restaurants were the only perks to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Howard City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here the last night of our Cruise and Tour vacation of Alaska. This place is first class. Holland America has done a great job with this hotel. Staff was excellent. The resturant has the best food.Hotel is near the downtown area.with. Rooms were large and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JUneau
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently held a week-long conference at the Westmark in downtown Anchorage. The staff was incredibly helpful. Oscar, or someone else, was always on hand to be sure that we had everything that we needed. I've hosted many meetings and I can honestly say that I've never had better support from the hotel staff. Thank you, Westmark!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Westmark Anchorage? Share your experiences!