“Very nice rooms and good service but watch the bartenders” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 W 5th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Houston, Texas
“Very nice rooms and good service but watch the bartenders”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Some colleagues and I stayed for a week on a business trip. The desk clerk was very helpful and made sure I got a room with a great view of the mountains. The room was big, clean, and very comfortable with all the amenities. After dinner, we went to the bar and when the tab came, we were surprised to see an extra drink or two had been added to each of our orders. The bartender fixed it after some back and forth, but be sure to check your bill carefully. I'll probably go somewhere else for drinks, but I'd consider the Captain Cook again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear BoneSquatch,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Glad you loved the view from your room. Was it a mountain view or an inlet view? I have my personal favorites too but I can't decide which one tips the scale. I frequent restaurants with friends and family and bills can get mixed up. I apologize it happened to you but I assure you we have the most courteous and honest staff that it was truly just a mistake. If you make it back here from Texas we'd love to see you again.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Sterling, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I am a lifetime Alaskan and I have stayed in most every hotel in Anchorage that is more than 10 yrs old. The Cook is one of my favorites. The rooms are wonderful fully accommodated with all the comforts and the restaurants and bars in this hotel are fabulous. The art galleries and salons the spa's and workout rooms are all first class. Of course the price matches but in Alaska there is not much that comes cheap. We are at the end of a very long road or flight regardless of how you get yourself or your product here and the means expense. The art hanging in the reception area is truly genuine and belongs in a museum. Christmas here is wonderful so is the Iditarod Dog Sled Race. Needless to say summer is epic as well. They offer all the services if you show up here with nothing planned they can fill your time with adventures from a plethora of vendors. But just hanging out at the Cook is an adventure in itself.

Room Tip: The higher in the towers the better the view on the east side you get the sunrise over the city and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charles E,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your great review and we're pleased to see you enjoyed your time with us. From the Housekeepers, Restaurant wait staff, Front Desk, Concierge and more, everyone has been classically trained to take care of you every need and exceed your expectations. It doesn't hurt that this is a fun place to be at no matter what the season. We look forward to keeping up the hard work and can't wait to see you again.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

At first I got the suite because I felt greedy for the space, but as it faced the city and mountains my friends insisted I get a water view, so I moved to a smaller room so I could see the magnificent sunset. The city view and mountains were great too though so remember if it's a very dark time of year you won't see much water anyway, there's more view with the city lights. The views are just gorgeous all the way around. Wifi worked great. I stayed on the top floors where you get access to the Captain's Quarters with free breakfast stuff and treats and snacks all day. It was great! When I arrived at night I felt too shy to go out to dinner alone, so I was able to get enough salad and soup and dessert to get my strength up. The hotel also has a great restaurant in the lobby. The staff is super friendly. The hotel has an old-fashioned vibe and crazy big paintings down in the basement level. Anchorage is awesome! I highly recommend going when there is a festival in town such as the Fur Rondy.

Room Tip: Staying on the top two floors gives you access to the Captain's deck or whatever it's called...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear nico848,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. I loved your review. Commenting on Anchorage's vibe, being too shy to venture out for dinner alone, those are true authentic experiences and really great to hear from a personal perspective. So many times while staying at Hotels, or flying with Airlines we forget what it's truly all about. The Human nature to explore and visit different places and meet new people fall short of whether or not the Wifi was fast enough to download a NetFlix Movie or the Coffee wasn't a certain favorite brand. I think we can all learn a lot from you and it would be a pleasure to meet you during your next stay. Take care and the sun is up, way up!!!

Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have stayed at the Captain Cook for a number of years and although this is probably one of the best hotels to stay at in Anchorage, it needs updating. Air-conditioning is poor at best and the rooms are not as good as some of the other hotels. The shops, lobby, bar/lounge and restaurant are the top attractions of this establishment, which is a shame as this hotel could be so much better.

Room Tip: Rooms with better views are on the higher floors.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Vmo9,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I'd like to answer some of your concerns. The Air Conditioning System is new and finished installation in 2014. It is a state of the art system and has been well received by our guests. The lobby, all the shops, and restaurants are very welcoming and we are happy you enjoyed them. We know that there is more work to do and we will continue to do so. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

As a business traveler, I never stay in luxury hotels, so I'm spoiled by my regular places I know and love - the Hilton chain. We only stayed here since the room was cheaper than any of the Hilton's, but there were a few things I found lacking. For one, no sliding glass entry doors, so you have to maneuver your luggage through tall, heavy manual doors, which is not easy to do. Two, the wi-fi was extremely slooooooow and painful to use. Three, only one pillow on the beds?? Come on, everyone needs at least two, right? Four, the bed was too soft. It may have been a pillow top or had a thick pad on it, but it did not make for a good night's sleep. The location was great, as were the views from our floor, but I will definitely be sticking to my tried and true hotels the next time I'm in town.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jen G,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and right a review. The front doors are not sliding but we do have a doorman and valet staff to help with arrival and departure. The Wifi has been recently upgraded, and each room with a king bed has 4 pillows. Were you staying in a room with double beds? Happy to see you enjoyed the views. Colorado and Alaska are both lucky to have fantastic mountain ranges and we're pleased to be able to provide a since of home for you while you stayed with us. I know you're a Hilton patron but you're part of our family now, so whenever you travel back we'd love to see you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Best staff in the whole state!! Friendly, professional, very "can do" and willing to make your stay the best no matter how long you are there! Clean rooms, comfortable beds, great food, excellent room service and great location! We live in the area and like to come into town once every month or so. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: We love Tower 3 for the view, but Tower 1 is great also!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Lv2traval,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. What a nice review. It' always a pleasure to provide an outstanding stay and hear that the staff left such a good impression on you. We are guest first and can't wait to see you again. Take care!

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed there as part of our tour company, We were put into a room with city view & next to the lift, This was a bad choice of room, As i was that tied still from all the tavel we have completed in the last 2 days, we feel asleep, We have breakfast at the hotel, they were great with the service & food was very big, Which help us with our long trip of the day off to the wildness, if i knew where i was staying, i would choose a better room than this.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear cboswell35,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and sharing your 2013 experience with us. We are currently in the process of finishing upgrading the elevators. Some travelers like yourself are very light sleepers and we understand that any noise can be disruptive and we apologize for any inconvenience caused. Our goal is provide the best possible stays for everyone and exceeding our guest expectations is paramount. When you travel back to Anchorage please send me an email so I can hand pick your room. Take care and I hope to visit Australia someday, bucket list!!!

guestservices@captaincook.com

Front Desk Manager

Been to The Hotel Captain Cook? Share your experiences!