“Excellent Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Sarnia, Canada
“Excellent Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

If you fly to Alaska for a quick look around do not be put off by this pricey but very good hotel. First of all most of the Glacier tours leave from the front door. This means you can have breakfast and avoid getting up in the middle of the night. It also means that you can avoid taking cabs around Anchorage, and I considered that a plus.
The hotel itself is easily as good as a four star hotel in the lower 48. It has enough bars and restaurants with hours to satisfy most travellers. We had a room (suite) in one of the top floors and the service was excellent. We arrived on a late flight from Seattle, the hotel provided transportation from the airport and our midnight arrival caused no fuss at all from the staff. The bar was open and also served very good meals.
Our Glacier tour left at about 9:00 am the following day and the bus provided a scenic and comfortable trip to the coast.
We arrived back at the hotel about 7:00 pm, had a very good dinner and a great night's sleep in a quiet room with an excellent bed. There was good shopping to be had right at the hotel, and by the way there is a liquor store right across the street.
We left that day, and once again the hotel provided transportation to the airport.
If you're pressed for time, flying, and staying at the Captain Cook is a very good option. This is particularly so if you find cruises a hassle.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter. Make sure you book early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear DRFM,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your honest and in depth review of our Hotel and it's our pleasure to provide a warm and comfortable stay. You said it all. Location,
amenities, service, that's the foundation of our property and we look forward to continuing to challenge ourselves to strive and reach higher goals. Take care an we'll see you again.

Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I enjoyed every inch of it, checked in late with no hassle.
But I think I left one of my favourite shirt in the room, they never reach me back..I didnt call em on purpose to see how they raise their service and hospitality..but thats OK.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Dody C,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. I am very happy to see you enjoyed "every inch of your stay". Sorry you forgot your shirt. I would love to help return your item back to you. Please send me an email at guestservices@captaincook.com so I can figure out some more info and help locate your lost item. Look forward to your email. Take care!

San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights upon arriving in Anchorage. It is a quick drive from the airport, was modestly priced and the room was very nicely appointed. We had a lovely view overlooking Cook Inlet, which was quite a nice surprise. There are four restaurants in the hotel as well as some very nice retail shops, selling upscale souvenir items as well as the usual notions for the traveler who may have forgotten a thing or two. The hotel is also very conveniently located next to the train station, a fifteen or twenty minute walk. We were able to rise at a reasonable time, have a nice breakfast (there are also restaurants nearby) and walk to the train station to board our train for Whittier for a full day of glacier viewing. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valerie O,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with our TripAdvisor community. It's always nice to hear that your overall stay was great. The location provides an easy drive to and from the Airport, walking distance to attractions downtown, and a warm feel for Anchorage. Breakfast on site can make for a comfortable morning before leaving Anchorage on the Historical Alaska Railroad to end up on a glacier cruise and enjoy Alaska's true natural ambiance. We can't wait to see you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

this is a great hotel. It is an historic hotel in downtown anchorage, though not as historic as I like. It has recently been remodeled so looks like a new modern hotel. Still it is very nice and location is good for walking around downtown. It has good restaurants and shopping located in the hotel but venture out to the shops in town for the "bargains"

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear soonergrandma,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. Love the review! We are updating multiple areas throughout the Hotel to stay modern but we never compromise our look and we promise to stay consistent with the theme which has been proven to be loved by our guests. Must be an Oklahoma Sooner Grandma? Congratulations and I hope everything is going great. We'll see you again.

Nome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Overall, the hotel is pretty average. Nothing to rave about, but nothing to complain about either. Room was adequate but very dark. Bed was comfortable and linen was soft. Room was clean and in good repair.

The reason I will never stay here again, is because of the parking garage. I purchased a 3 day pass, at $16.00 per day, so I would not have to deal with parking problems.
After my first trip out in my car, I could not get back out again! No one responded at the machine when I pushed the button for assistance. I had to back up (causing others to move too) and re-park, then go back into the hotel. The clerk took my pass after I explained my situation, and returned. He told me to try again, and that someone was in the booth who would assist me if I had a problem. Again, my pass did not work and no one responded to the help button, I had to back up, re-park, and since we were late for a dinner reservation, we took my friend's car. She had smartly parked on the street!
Upon return I was told to bring in a new ticket. Back to the garage I go, and discover that I cannot get a ticket without pulling a vehicle up to the machine! Back into the hotel, and I was given a 1 day pass which was borrowed from the valet station. I drove out, and then back in again so I could take my vehicle through to get a ticket. Back into the hotel-and I finally get my parking pass replaced. Not even an "I am sorry for the inconvenience" from the last staff member. I feel like I did more work for this hotel than any of the desk personnel. I wasted at least an hour of my precious vacation time. Next trip, NEA convention or not, I will not stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from stairs. Door bangs shut.
Dear add1712,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and explaining your experience so we can improve in all areas. I would like to take this opportunity to address your comments in a positive way and explain the parking garage.

The garage like most throughout the U.S. has an electronic gate. Upon entering the garage the machine gives you a ticket. After bringing that ticket to the front desk we exchange it for a parking pass for the desired length that guest prefers.

The ticket is an electronic smart ticket so it registers every time you use it to enter and exit. If you exited with it and did not use it to regain entry to the garage which happens sometimes then the ticket won't work to get back out. Thus causing the trip back to the front desk.

Long story short, and a very easy version, is to use the ticket to get in and use it to get out.

The garage is owned by a separate company and I apologize for any inconvenience they caused. I will speak withe my staff to make sure we help all guests thoroughly with every inquiry to insure a great stay and a seamless transition to and from the garage.

I would love to see you return because I know we can get this fixed.

Thank you for your time.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I recently stayed for four nights in the hotel and loved it. The decor is fantastic so great to see a place with an original traditional look instead of being like an airport lounge like so many other hotels. The dark wood captain cook theme and classic quality fit out are excellent. And it is all backed up by outstanding service. From people like franco on the front door ant chris at the bar. Great place dont change anything.

Simon j. Heath

Dear 618Simon,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your great review and we're happy you enjoyed your stay. The unique design of this Hotel is unlike any other. It was specifically modeled in guest interest. With multiple levels, dining options, shopping venues, athletic clubs and more you can truly have a wonderful experience here. The comments regarding the staff are superb. Franco is a great Doorman and Chris an equal as a Bar Tender for Fletcher's. Nice to hear they had such a positive impact on your stay. If you make it back this way from NY we'd love another opportunity to provide a relaxing stay. Take care!

Savannah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I am in Anchorage for a week on business and my wife joined me. We have been at the Captain Cook Hotel all week. The room is very nice and the bed is quite comfortable. I cannot say enough good things about the staff at this hotel. Everyone has been pleasant and helpful....not one exception all week.
The fitness center is way better than most hotel gyms. This is an actual health /fitness center with sauna and steam room in addition to an incredible gym facility.They have separate male and female fitness facilities which my wife likes.
There are four bar/restaurant facilities on site and we have visited all four. Fletchers has a great vibe in the afternoon and is full of guests and locals. The Crow's nest on the 20th floor of Tower III is a bit pricy so we only had drinks at the bar. Carl,the bartender is great...extremely knowedgeable and attentive. The views of Anchorage and the waterfront at spectaculr from the vantage point.
I will be back for a week in Nov and Dec and will return.

Room Tip: We have a downtown city view on the 6th floor which is nothing special. Ask for 10th floor or above...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hunter E, Front Desk Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Savannahdoctor,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your in depth review and we're very happy you have enjoyed your week with us. I hope we took great care of your wife while you were working in Anchorage and provided all the comfort and relaxation she needed. I am very pleased to see that Carl had such a positive impact on you both while dining in the Crow's Nest. We look forward to seeing you again this winter.

Front Desk Manager

Been to The Hotel Captain Cook? Share your experiences!