“All Around Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   939 W 5th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Fairbanks, Alaska
“All Around Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

By far one of the nicest hotels in the whole state. I've stayed here several times when visiting Anchorage. Located right downtown, it's within easy walking or cab distance from the 5th Avenue Mall and many bars and restaraunts. The hotel itself has superb rooms, the beds are exceptionally comfortable, with great views for the most part.
There is a pool and jacuzzi there, and they offer massage services. The excercise area is nicely equipped and everything is immaculately clean. If you want to stay in comfort, a good location, and have the option to pamper yourself, the Captain Cook is the place to go. You can obviously find cheaper hotels not far away, but be assured you will get service and quality equal to their higher prices if that's what you are looking for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear AKGirl1883,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your great review of our property and I'm very very pleased to see that you enjoyed the Hotel and your time in Anchorage.
First time I've had a chance to respond to back to back Alaskans. How was your summer in Fairbanks this year? FYI to everyone it's usually warmer up there. We had a great summer down here in Anchorage and I'm glad you had a chance to spend some time with us. We can't wait to have you stay with us again and we both know that winter is on the way!

Fairbanks, AK! Warm in the summer, cold in the winter. You truly get both season at their fullest with temperatures reaching into the 90's on a hot day and -30 or colder on a brisk day.

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

The Captain Cook is one of the priemer hotels in the state. Their rooms are great. Lots of space in each room. The view of the inlet is superb. The food is well prepared and tastes like it should be in a five star restaurant. I will be coming back.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rory M,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed the room and your dining experience with us. It's always a pleasure to take care of a fellow Alaskan and we hope to see you again!

Big Lake, AK! Probably the most visited recreational lake in Alaska. Big Lake is great for boating, jet skiing, water skiing, wakeboarding, and every other water activity you can think of.

Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Average average average. We have always stayed at the Westmark and now my company has me staying here. The front desk staff is MUCH friendlier at the Westmark. I heard this from my co-workers and found it to be true when I arrived. The rooms are very standard and could probably use an update pretty soon. If my company was not paying for this hotel, I probably would not stay here at the published rates. However, I did like the fridge in my room and the bed was nice. The windows do open up a little bit, so I did enjoy the fresh air. The traffic is quite loud all night long though.
I did request to have my bed made up because I had a late check out arranged by my company, but this request was disregarded by the staff. I really do not like being in a hotel room without an unmade bed.

Room Tip: This hotel does not provide an airport shuttle. If you need an inexpensive ride catch the 7A people...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear MichaelMinneapolis,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review and I'm happy to see that you enjoyed the Hotel. We are now tested to provide equal to or better customer service than your previous Hotel. I beleive we are up to the challenge and look forward to having you stay with us again. I hope your flight back to Minneapolis was nice and we can't wait to see you again. If you have a long layover, look me up and I'll take you fishing!

Silver Salmon! It's almost time for the silvers to fill the rivers. They are so fun the catch with almost every fish coming clean out the water and zigging and zagging in every direction.

Orange, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights here in advance of a cruise. Its a nice hotel with some classic features and excellent professional staff. The room was clean and comfortable. The only reason I don't rate it higher is because it is quite expensive and I expect more from a hotel in this price range.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear tw3retiree,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I'm very happy to see you enjoyed the Hotel. It sounds like we had everything you needed and I'm excited to see that the staff had such a positive impact on your stay. We all appreciate your comments! We hope to see you return someday, but until then have a great summer in California!

Trout! The trout fishing is becoming amazing at this time of year. With the weather slowly dropping the fish know it's time to eat before winter sets in.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed at the Captain Cook at the start of a tour of Alaska, and read that it was the best hotel in Anchorage, so we expected the best in everything. While our room was large and had a view of the water (with buildings), the carpet was stained, which did not give a great impression. We had 2 breakfasts there. One was really good, since it was from a menu; the other was a buffet for our group, which was not that great. A dinner was a group thing as well-so I can't really just the restaurant fairly. But again, nothing superb--hence the middle rating. When everyone says this is a 5-star hotel, I expect great things, and the Cook didn't have what a Fairmont has. Sorry!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear dsmith2beach,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review of our property and we're happy to see that enjoyed your stay. I am sorry we didn't fulfill your expectations and we look foward to correcting the areas that need to be fixed. Have a great summer and we hope to see you return in the future.

The Alaska State Fair! August is the month of our state fair which attracts some pretty good concerts, has great food, and lots of fun for the kids. If you're visiting it's a great way to spend a day!

Keewatin, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a beautiful and impressive hotel. The rooms are very nice. I did not eat at the Captain Cook so I cannot comment on their food. However, the steam room and sauna is second to none. Very impressive indeed. The staff was friendly and efficient. Concierge was quite helpful with a wide array of questions. The beds were luxurious.

Room Tip: There is no AC or at least there wasn't in my room. There wwas a ceiling fan and it was easily...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mike C,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate your review and I'm happy to see that you enjoyed the time you spent while staying with us. I'm happy to hear that the staff was spot on, the athletic club filled your needs, and that you had a nice nights sleep. Have fun in Canada and we hope to see you return in the future.

Appetizer Run! Instead of the normal sit down in one of the many great restaurants in downtwon Anchorage, try walking to a bunch of places and grabbing some apps. It's a great way to see the town and visit a lot of great food spots.

Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed a few nights while on a business trip. Good quiet, location in downtown Anchorage. Check-in was smooth. The room was clean, but dated. I only had one meal at the hotel, but it was very good and the service was good as well.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hunter E, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel Captain Cook, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Family_Traveller0,

Thank you for staying at The Hotel Captain Cook. We appreciate you taking the time to write your review of our property which we can share with everyone on Trip Advisor. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and the meal you had at the Hotel. Canada is a gorgeous place and we thank you for visiting us and Alaska!

Alaska Railroad! A great way to see the state. The Alaska Railroad offers relaxing trips to and from multiple locations with routes that are only accessible via the railroad giving their passengers an opportunity to view some remote areas that most won't be able to see.

Guest Service Manager

Been to The Hotel Captain Cook? Share your experiences!