“Gross Is comparable to skid row” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Alaska Backpackers Inn

You added Alaska Backpackers Inn to your Saves list
Alaska Backpackers Inn
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   409 Eagle Street, Anchorage, AK 99501   |
“Gross Is comparable to skid row”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2015 via mobile

When I stayed here there was terrible service. The manager was nice at first but than became really mean. I than used a cup and when I went to wash it there was no soap. I am not sure if the cup was clean when I used it. Than they have like a reading area so I checked that out. I saw a book that looked interesting and when I opened it there was a booger in it. I was so disgusted I did not pick up another book for the rest of my stay. I than went to the bathroom to take a number 2 and there was no toilet paper I screamed for help but no one came. I was than forced to use my underwear I tore that into pieces to conserve what I needed. I can honestly say this happened to me twice and the 2nd time I was lucky because I was going to take a shower anyway.

• Stayed March 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here in november.
Lacey, the hostess/cleaning lady/security guard/... is super nice and will help you with anything you want to do.
The hostel is clean, no bedbugs, and well furnished. I especially loved all the art and notes on the walls all over the place. All the visitors were super friendly too, it just felt like a little family.
I would highly recommend for someone searching for an affordable place in anchorage.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

Thank you for allowing a platform to suggest a recommendation. This is one of the best hostels I've resided in and I've traveled quite a bit (i.e western Europe). The staff there are wonderful, especially Ms. Lacey who runs a tight ship and is very knowledgeable, friendly and gives good advice. I would recommend this place to people journeying through AK or seeking temporary housing while relocating in the Klondike.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Maui, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014

Thanks to Lacey, my stay was great! All the staff were friendly, accommodating and very knowledgeable about most everything I asked about.The place was better than I expected due to previous TA bad reviews......there were no bugs, no homeless folks and the place was clean. I will be sure to stay there again should I ever visit downtown Anchorage again. Lots of interesting people from Europe to socialize with with ample room to roam around inside when not out exploring the town. Thank you Alaska Backpackers Inn!

Room Tip: Pick the most affordable room as you can always upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
whangarei
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

we stayed 3 days here before joining a tour. We had a homeless man living in our duplex bathroom and hall. we tried to get he key code changed but no success. the staff knew about it but did nothing. the place was dirty and security windows etc poor.
the immediate streets had drunks and obvious drug deals happening.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

Nothing fancy here but it was clean and comfortable. The beds were great, good pillows. I loved the fun artwork done by travelers that was all over the wall. Quiet when I stayed. Slept great. Not many other travelers when I was there. You can't beat the price! I will stay there again when I travel to anchorage.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2014

I stayed here due to the low cost, especially since I was a single traveler. I stayed for 2 nights in the blue building and had very low expectations before arriving. It turned out I stayed in the better building because travelers I talked with later in my trip were still suffering from bedbug bites after staying in the brick building. The gal at the front desk was surly and very unhelpful in simply taking my payment and directing me to my 2nd floor 2 bed room. The room was rather dirty and musty smelling but at least the window opened. However, the women's bathroom was nasty with mold prevalent in the shower.The rest of the bathroom was likely also moldy but, as with the room, the very dim bulbs and dirty light fixtures helped to hide the filth and grime. The unisex bathroom was slightly less moldy. But the aspect which was disgusting was the bed sheets. The 1st night, another person stayed in the room and the bed was remade with the same unwashed sheets. In retrospect, I likely also slept in old unwashed sheets. I was supposed to stay another the night before I flew out, but instead I had a far, far more positive experience at the other Anchorage hostel

Room Tip: I cannot believe there are any decent ones
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Alaska Backpackers Inn? Share your experiences!