“Horrible!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Alaska Backpackers Inn
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   409 Eagle Street, Anchorage, AK 99501   |
“Horrible!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

First off, how this place has a four star rating on Tripadvisor is beyond me. I reserved a deluxe private for 3 days. When I arrived I knew I was on the wrong part of town. A lot of sketchy looking people hanging around the building (Annex).
The room was so hot it was like walking into an oven, I turned the thermostat down and It still remained hot. I had to keep the window open with no screen, on a ground floor room in a bad part of town,, I mentioned this concern to the front desk and received no concern. The bed was a mattress on a piece of plywood being held up on blocks, with very old and stained bedding.
The staff was friendly, but, do not know anything about the area. Every time I asked where something was or if there was something nearby, all I got was "I don't know". When I say "something", I mean certain types of stores, simple stuff. On my initial check in I was not told where any of the common area's were at or anything about using a computer, not a very guest friendly place.
On my 3rd day there I was in the common area and someone had tracked in dog poop in the hallway entrance into the office. The young lady working the front desk was made aware of this on two different occasions but did nothing to clean it up. I left out being careful not to step in anything. I came back 2 hours later and the young lady was just NOW cleaning the dog poop up!!sad, sad ,sad....My overall experience here at this hostile was the worst I have ever encountered and I have stayed at hostels all over Europe and the U.S. I would not recommend this place to a homeless person. I know its cheap, but I have had ALOT better accommodations for cheap.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
AlaskaBackpackersInn, Manager at Alaska Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
We do apologize that you had an undesirable experience at our hostel. There is no excuse for the issues you encountered. Wish we had the opportunity to make it better!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
chesterfield,UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ok, so your stay in Anchorage is usually no more than a day or so, your hotel choices are either 200 dollars for a bog sandard Holiday Inn type experience or a backpackers. This place is a place of two halves, a grungy dorm block that would suit the under 25s - we didn't stay there, we stayed in the annex. You will get a good nights sleep (if you can avoid the suite next to the laundry room with it's all night Coke machine) You share a bathroom and kitchen, your room has windows. It's in a not too salubrious area but 50 metres from a main road and not too far from Anchorage's 'attractions'. Internet was a bit slow, kitchen facilities clean and adequate. Staff a bit stand off-ish but most of their clients stay a day, two days, rarely any more. We will use it again.

Room Tip: If they take you to a room next to the laundry, run away
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us. I hope the next time you come to visit us the staff is not standoff-ish! We like to think of ourselves as a friendly, outgoing bunch. We will do our best t exceed your expectations next visit!
Dunedin, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We really wouldn’t recommend this place sadly. We purchased a ‘deluxe’ room with shared kitchenette and bathroom and were very disappointed. We were placed in the annex building next door to the actual backpackers and our room was a basement flat and faced a car park – at the exact height of the exhausts!! The room smelt strange and there was no connection to the free WiFi offered as we were below ground level. The bathroom didn’t look very clean and there was no lock on the door even though it was shared with others. The kitchenette was a joke...not enough cutlery or plates for everyone and only a microwave, no kettle or hobs. When we complained, we were told that we could use the hostel shared kitchen which also was terrible, not clean and again didn’t have anywhere near enough plates etc. We were finally able to change rooms however that was awful too and finally, third time lucky we got what we’d paid for (kind of, as the WiFi still didn’t work!). The staff were friendly but overall I would not stay here again! The only thing to recommend it was its proximity to the Alaska railroad depot (15 min walk) and its proximity to downtown Anchorage (20min walk).

Room Tip: IF you do choose to stay here, just opt for a basic dorm room as the 'deluxe' rooms are NOT...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AlaskaBackpackersInn, Guest Relations Manager at Alaska Backpackers Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

I apologize for your dissatisfaction and will do anything i can to fix the problem. Our hostel deluxe rooms were created so we could offer a more private environment and still help guest save some money compared to other accommodations in downtown anchorage. Each room has its own fridge and TV. Bathroom and kitchenette are shared only by two rooms. Our bathrooms and kitchenettes are cleaned everyday whether is winter or summer. However they are still a shared environment were we need our guest help to keep up with the building. I will still look up on my records and see who worked that day and find out what the root of the problem was.

Also, I made a mistake of not posting on TripAdvisor that our summer season ends on September 15th. As a result, we no longer are open for tourist or daily guest. Sometimes we make exceptions but we usually try explain the season situation. We do rent monthly and weekly but with different terms. For the winter we do not provide all the things we provide during the summer. Our kitchenettes are usually fully equipped but not in the winter. Sometimes during summer we are missing stuff from our place because guest takes them and never returns them. We are a hostel and this is an ongoing battle. That is why sometimes we have to rely on our guest to tell us so we can replace whatever comes up missing. We usually have back ups for everything given the nature of our business. We also encourage our guest to talk to us and lets us know immediately of any issue whether is cleanliness, or anything else. We care about our guest and their experience. We also have a feedback box where we encourage guest to tell us about their experience to see how we can improve and also to tell us about our staff whenever they are not professional and don't do their job as they are supposed to. During the summer our front desk is open 24/7 so someone is available at all times.

As far as Wifi, we have three different routers throughout all of our buildings. We have people who have problems and people who doesn't. Sometimes is their computer sometimes is our router. But i will look into it and see how i can make it better for everyone. We always appreciate our customers feedback and welcome suggestions. I hope you will give us a second chance someday so you can change your mind.

Regards,
Backpackers Management
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Both Shannon and Nichole were very kind and helpfull. I was treated with respect and dignity and even though I locked myself out of my room on more than one occassion during my 2 week stay Shannon graciously noted that I wasnt the only weary traveler to make that mistake. I just wanted to say thank you for your sence of humor and wonderful service.

Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Backpackers Inn is the perfect place to stay for adventurers in Anchorage! I stayed for 6 nights and it was just great according to the cost. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Also it's very close to downtown just a walking distance. If you are seeking for a friendly and social environment with a less cost, you are totally in the right place.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was the last Hostel I stayed at and was much nicer than Artic Adventure that I stayed at when I first arrived. I did have a private room and wasn't bothered with anything during the stay. The room was clean and the checkout guy was very helpfull with my precheck-in and printing my boarding pass for my return flight.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Checkin guy was less than helpful and said I hadn't paid even though I had a receipt. Girl at checkout was much nicer.

Renovations were going on so quite noisy and dusty.

Bed really uncomfortable and room smelt musty. Rooms really old and lowest heating setting was really hot so had to sleep with window open (no security). Was then advised by front desk guy that 'that building gets hot so leave door open'. Not very helpful as there was no security doors. TV reception was bad on most channels.

Bathroom was very clean and modern fixtures in old building.

Not really walking distance to much but we had a car so wasn't an issue for us.

Not the worst backpackers I have stayed in but certainly not the best.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Alaska Backpackers Inn? Share your experiences!