“The best hostel in Town” 4 of 5 stars

337 W. 33rd Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99503 (Midtown)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Prague
“The best hostel in Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

This hostel isn´t the cheapest, but the location is the best. The neighbourhood seems safe to me. It is in wallking distance to the downtown. They offer dorms and private rooms. I stayed in double room. It was very simple room. I didn´t expect something else. The problem is if your flight from lower 48 arrive late at night. As every flight. The only option is take a cab and it is long drive. Expect to pay more tahn 25 USD. The last public bus departure the airport towards the dwntown around 10pm.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Excellent hostel! Please note, it's not a hotel, it's a hostel, with the accompanying quirks of a hostel...shared bathrooms, funny paint jobs, etc. But it's VERY clean, comfy beds, well stocked kitchen, quiet, friendly, free internet. Owner Joseph is helpful in working out logistics, and even has a closet of left-over camping equipment that he loans out. A bit far from downtown, but it's a quiet and safe neighborhood. Best value in Anchorage.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

I arrived at this hostel after a very early flight. It was locked but the owner soon unlocked it and seemed a little surprised to see me. Despite this, he allowed me to check in very early and I got a much desired nap before heading out to see Anchorage.

My room was fine, the linens were fine ... it was a private room with shared bathroom and was adequate. The bathroom was okay - sharing was not an issue. The hostel was spacious and the kitchen was great, though I did not ever use it.

The location means you might have to catch a bus to town but the bus stop is not far away.

The owner offers lifts to the train station for both the Coastal Classic and the Denali train and this is a massive bonus. He is a quiet, helpful kind of guy and the hostel is a great location if you like to travel on a budget and are not expecting or wanting a big drinking and partying session.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Stayed for a few days for first visit to AK. Nice on the budget and convenient location if you don't care about being downtown. I didn't have a car so took advantage of public transport with the bus stop only a couple blocks away, and also the complimentary pickup service to and from the train station provided by the hostel.

I don't quite agree with some of the other negative comments here earlier. If you are expecting a 24-hour personal concierge, then stay at one of the many $200+ night hotels and hire a butler as backup (because even the chain hotels are short staffed). If you walk in and no one is immediately available to greet you, sit and relax for a few minutes in the comfortable common area or kitchen. I found the bathroom and room clean (and quiet at night) and bed was great - my back always worries about getting a bed with an old worn out, soft mattress.

And as others have mentioned, other extras include free internet and wi-fi, tv in room, laundry, large kitchen, and bicycles for hire. Would look forward to return again next time I get back to Anchorage.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

The room was clean but, we went in early August and, with no AC or fan, the room was really hot for the first couple of nights. The kitchen was awesome and had every condiment or spice you could possibly want. We cooked almost every meal there because there was plenty of space, pots/utensils, and it was convenient. Plus, free pancakes were great! The owner seems like a good guy though he's neither very friendly nor unfriendly, kinda neutral. He was helpful in helping us find things around the area. I did have an unpleasant encounter with one woman by accident but it was harmless. There were some loud people outside at night which kept me up for a bit but it didn't wake my boyfriend. It probably wouldn't have been a problem with the windows closed but we would have burned to death. The curtains probably could be a bit better in the summer with so much light but it was alright. I honestly wish I'd stayed downtown. The bus schedules were confusing (I'm not used to public transport so maybe that's it) so we ended up taking taxis. This got rather expensive. It was nice to have a private room in a hostel though. I recommend it, definitely, but do consider how much you'd like to be downtown or how close you'd like to be to the bus station. There are restaurants close and a Wal Mart but if you walk just past the WalMart you'll find a MUCH BETTER STOCKED Safeway

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

My wife and I spent 4 nights total here during our recent trip to Alaska and the place was great. Our private room had a queen size bed that was very comfortable, desk and TV. The shared bathrooms were kept clean and the best part for us was the huge kitchen that was available for guest use. The owner even shared some fresh caught salmon with us. We are planning another trip in two years and this will be where we stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Colman, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed here for the first time the summer of 2008. I had two dogs in kennels in my pickup topper (drove up from South Dakota). I spent numerous nights at this hostel prior to excursions south for fishing, north for upland bird hunting, and further north for caribou hunting. I received first class treatment every time. Two washers and two dryers are available, it is clean, functional, free wireless internet available(so I could catch up on the work I was missing at home) and some freezer space available for storing your harvest.
Again in 2009 I drove to Alaska and brought along a hunting and fishing partner of mine. We hunted caribou on the North Slope. He agreed, for the money you cannot bet the location, helpfulness of the staff, kitchen and just overall functionality of the Arctic Adventure Hostel. Joseph also rents me outside storage space, at a reasonable rate, for a mini SUV I purchased in Anchorage and will use in the future when I am in Alaska.
In 2010 I was back and staged out of the Arctic Adventure Hostel for a moose hunt in the Yukon Delta north of Bethel. Once again a short email and reservations were set and my SUV was moved out from storage into the parking lot and read to go. This time I flew into Anchorage instead of driving up. Joseph picked me up when I arrived, took me to the airport when I flew to Bethel for the hunt, picked me up when I came back from Bethel and once again took me to the airport when I flew out to go home. He helped me pickup my moose meat from the processor and even let me store some of it in his freezer prior to my departure.
This is not a 5 star hotel with the continental breakfast served on fine china. BUT, if you want a comfortable clean, friendly, helpful place to stay in Anchorage and not break the bank---THIS IS IT! I will be back next year!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Been to Arctic Adventure Hostel? Share your experiences!