“Good value.” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   826 K Street, Anchorage, AK 99501   |
Ranked #41 of 69 hotels in Anchorage
“Good value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Great option for the price. Friendly staff, clean rooms. The continental breakfast had lots of fresh fruit and good coffee. As some reviews mentioned the neighboring apartment isn't the nicest looking, but it wasn't a problem. It's a nice short walk to the main downtown tourist area. Budget travelers will find this a great place to stay. Those used to upscale hotels may be disappointed, but all around this is a great value.

104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Taylor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

My husband & I stayed at the Anchorage Downtown Hotel for two (2) nights. We were going to stay at the Inlet Tower but the mininum stay had to be three (3) nights. We were absolutely happy that we stayed at ADH instead of Inlet. The hotel was EXTREMELY clean and the bed & pillows were sooooooo comfortable....seriously...the most comfortable bed & pillows that I have ever slept on. The service couldn't be beat....better than any five (5) star hotel. The location was PEFECT!!
The hotel was centrally located and close A LOT attractions and we were able to walk to most of them. The hotel offers a shuttle service from & to the hotel. You can't miss the shuttle....it's a BRIGHT mint green. I am a home-based travel agent and I will recommend this hotel to ALL of my clients, family, friends, & co-workers. The price was just what we wanted. There is sooo much to do & see in Anchorage and we didn't get a chance to see/do everything....soooo we are already planning to return next year and
we will DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again, again, & AGAIN!! One of the shuttle drivers, Billy Ray....he was very personable & friendly....we were able to ask ?'s and he was very informative. Oh...I didn't mention....there was a nice, free breakfast....bagels, fruit, & yogurt. We also ate at
a restaurant....Simon & Seafort....if you like/love LOBSTER....it's the BEST I've ever
had. It is within walking distance of the hotel.

The Hands
Taylor, Michigan

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We used the Anchorage Downtown Hotel as a hub traveling between Denali, Kenai, and Katmai. It certainly served our purpose. We stayed there 4 times during our visit to Alaska. Each time we stayed, we got a better room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They helped with our bags, got us to the train station and airport(and picked us up), and found us restaurants. The breakfast was adequate. The bathrooms could be better stocked with soaps and paper.
Overall, I was pleased with the hotel for our purposes.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Rooms small, fresh fruit for breakfast, confusion about shuttle pickup, good location,tv remote did not work,

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Tallahassee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I thought I was treating myself to a "Deluxe Queen Suite" with continental breakfast when visiting Anchorage. My room was smaller than a standard Days Inn type room and the bathroom was just big enough to stand in. The view out the window was cracked glass and dirty screens in a very low rent apartment house next door. I ended up having to stay two nights at this hotel and both nights was awakened by screaming and cursing from the building next door. The toilet paper roll was behind the commode in one room and bolted to the inside of the door in the other. I asked not to be put in the room overlooking the flop house and was given a room with no external window. There is no air conditioning in this hotel and no elevator. You must have a window open for any circulation and then you hear the people next door at all hours of the night. The sliding doors on the showers would not slide. A table top fan knob came off in my hand when I tried to adjust the fan; the room light would not come on the curtains fell when I tried to close them. I paid the same for this room as I did the Embassy Suites in Manhattan and I got a queen sized bed in a tiny room overlooking a delapidated building. The office does not open until "seven or eight" I was told so forget about the "continental breakfast" unless you want to wait around for someone to arrive. There was no one to check me out either morning. I called the number on the door and I could hear it ring inside the locked office; it then transferred me to a recording telling me that all the hotel operators were busy. I left the key in the room and proceeded on my trip. I had hoped to cancel my second night later in the week but realized too late that I would have suffered a full nights penalty. I complained to the young man at the desk about my room earlier in the week; he put me in the internal room with no outside windows and it was so stuffy I then asked to be moved so I would have a window; it also looked onto the flop house. He "upgraded me" to a king bed that was two twins with a gap down the middle. I will say that the front desk personnel were very courteous but this hotel is a total misrepresentation. I did not receive anything close to a "deluxe suite" and was subjected to having to listening to foul-mouthed neighbors curse throughout the night. I left for my 12 plus hour flight back east exhausted from the stay. I cannot recommend this hotel and honestly wonder if the people giving the positive reviews were staying at the same hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
AnchorageHotel, Owner at Anchorage Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments, We appreciate the kind words in regards to our staff. I wanted to personally apologize for the neighbors next door. The noise is a rare occurrence but will make sure to follow the proper steps to ensure this does not happen again. In regards to your other suggestions, i,e toilet paper holder, shower doors and window screens I will have them adjusted to your suggestions. Please feel free to contact me direct if you have any other concerns I may able to help with.
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Thank you for the best experience we had with your hotel!!! I will always stay with your hotel and I will recommend it to everyone I know who is going to Anchorage. I cannot say enough about the people and the staff. It was the best experience I had. From now on I'm staying here! And Im from Anchorage and currently live in Maryland. A thousand thanks!
Cindy Johnson

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, We love your comments and hope to see you again!
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

OK, so it didn't have a big shot name. But, what the Anchorage Downtown Hotel had going for itself was a great location, a fabulous, caring and friendly staff, and no frills, comfortable rooms. It certainly helped that my wife and I were there over the July 4 holiday and the city's parade and festivities took place right outside the front door of the hotel. That fact aside, the Anchorage Downtown Hotel is a quick walk to the 4th and 5th Avenue shops and restaurants; and, a hop skip and a jump from Elderberry Park and the Tony Kowles Coastal Trail (hiking, walking and biking). No, it's not the high end hotels that I've stayed at during business trips. it's a solid, down to earth, good place to park yourself while on vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time in writing a review, This really gives futures travelers a good idea of our hotel and staff.

Been to Anchorage Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!