“Cute and handy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Haines
“Cute and handy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I had a sweet night in the cozy, quirky hotel right next to the Park Strip. It was quiet, friendly, and well-maintained. And quite inexpensive this time of the year. Perfect for a teacher attending a conference.

Room Tip: Most are interior so they are probably all pretty quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Well,,, Once I phoned for the airport shuttle bus we were picked up quickly, the girl, however didn't engage any conversation, we had to really prompt her for conversation or advice after our 23 hour trip she was our first contact, so not a good first impression of Alaskans. The rooms are small, that's OK for a city type room, but we had 3 of us with 2 double beds - both of them have this awful loud squeak to them every time you rolled over, sounds like very loud plastic covering but there was none. We had to swap beds with our son, (as one roll over is quieter than 2 and one bed was worse than the other). You ate your breakfast in the small reception foyer on bar type wall benches on paper plates and plastic cutlery? why? Our last night, however was the worst!!!! at 3 am. we heard squeak squeak squeak squeak and thought that my son may have been having a bad, restless night in his squeaky bed........ NO!!!! it was a bed above him..... the squeak squeak squeak etc etc etc went on for 20 minutes!!!!!!! Someone must have told them to "get a room" BUT I wish it wasn't in the noisy Anchorage Downtown Hotel room above us!!! I would not stay there again. The staff, however at the reception were lovely and helpful (maybe on pick-up the girl was having a quiet moment, I just want her to recognize that she is in the hospitality industry and she should be more hospitable.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor seemed to have a good room, the higher the better - less chance of squeaky bed noise a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AD_Hotel, Manager at Anchorage Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
I am saddened to hear about your terrible experience at The Anchorage Downtown Hotel. We strive each and every day to ensure customer satisfaction. As for squeaky beds, our beds are brand new and I am unsure as to why your beds would have been squeaking. I can tell you that we have had guests in-house who have been loud and out of ordinance, which will explain the squeaking noises that you heard in the room above yours. I am truly hoping that you will allow for us to show you that we are a great hotel, and we would love to accommodate you again on your future returns to Anchorage, Alaska.
Lafayette, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here back in July. Could have stayed more than one night, but chose to stay only one. We found the staff to be caring and friendly. The free continental breakfast was small, but diverse and filling. Free Internet access was a huge plus. We booked based on the Internet photos, which made it look as if it were a Japanese boutique hotel. It isn't. Our room was small and dark, with chipped furniture and old fixtures. While a hallway did cross between our hotel window and the outside window, we had no sound problems from it. Largest problem was there was no A/C, only a fan, and the room was sweltering throughout our July night, even in Anchorage. We had to carry our bags up to the second floor, which was difficult with heavy luggage (there is no elevator). I felt it was overpriced for what we received, and this is a good 15-20 minute walk to most downtown attractions - the only think close by in this forgotten neighborhood within downtown Anchorage is a Comfort Inn and Benihana Restaurant one block away. The rooms would need better lighting, A/C, and a good upgrade to carpets and new fixtures in the bathroom for us to stay there again.

Room Tip: This is a no frills hotel with no air conditioning in the rooms and no major amenities - no gym, no...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AD_Hotel, Manager at Anchorage Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Hello, thank you so much for providing a review for The Anchorage Downtown Hotel on TripAdvisor.com. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive each and every day to make sure that we provide the best customer service, and hotel accommodations for our Guests. We have been under new Management since April 2013, and this will be our first year that we have been open "year-round" versus "seasonal". We look forward to having you as our Guest in the near future. Thank you again for choosing The Anchorage Downtown Hotel for your hotel accommodations.

Regards,
Amy R.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I stayed for a total of 7 days, and while the rooms are small, they are clean and comfortable. Front desk staff were very friendly and always happy to help. A walk into town only took 10 minutes so I never used a taxi the entire time I was in Anchorage.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Wasilla, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My regular hotel Airport Courtyard Marriott was fully booked. When I booked this hotel the reviews seemed very positive. Shuttle driver picked me up promptly & very polite young man. He carried my bag to the hotel entrance & asked me to follow him downstairs to the check-in desk. He handed me my key & asked if I could manage my own bag up to the second floor. First impression of my room was yes it is an older building. Lights were on to welcome me, but it was very hot, a fan blowing, strong smell of fresh enamel paint. My window was open unto a hallway. I felt anyone passing in the hallway could look in my room. Closed window & slept in my clothes. 2:30AM was awaken with shouting from a man & women arguing across the hall. Decided to check out at 7:10 after breakfast. No one at the desk. kitchen dark, sign said "picking up passengers, leave keys here, have a cookie! I live in AK & regret having to write this review. The rates for this hotel are not cheap & I did not feel comfortable or safe staying here. I feel the owners need to take a more active role in management & not depend on one employee to be shuttle driver, desk clerk & housekeeping staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bartlett, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was a small old building with narrow hallways and stairs in front of you as soon as you walked in the door. I actually felt sorry for the people who had to work there and have to smile and try to make the best of it. Luckily I stayed in Anchorage only briefly before moving on to the real purpose of my Alaska trip. It was just a cheap 2 day layover before travelling on. Any more than that and I wouldn't have been able to stand it. DO NOT go there for a true vacation. Go to a real hotel. For recovering from a long flight and getting ready for more travelling it was fine however.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I am a New Yorker and accustomed to tight quarters but even I thought the room was a little on the small side. We only stayed a night so it was fine. They definitely use stinking cleaning products though. It was cheap and the staff were pleasant so no complaints. I wouldn't want to stay there more than a night though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Anchorage Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!