“Excellent food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sacks Cafe and Restaurant

Sacks Cafe and Restaurant
328 G St, Anchorage, AK 99501-2125 (Downtown)
907-274-4022
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sacks Cafe and Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 684 Restaurants in Anchorage
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Scandinavian, Contemporary
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th
Hidden Hills, California
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

While spending time in downtown Anchorage, we took time for lunch at Sack's. It had been recommented by more than one person. The restaurant is attractive and inviting. The walls display art from the gallery next door. The wait staff is friendly and informative. The food is excellent. I had the crab cakes. My friend had the fish tacos. We lingered and talked with our waitress after lunch, who gave us an idea of what life is like in Anchorage.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

East Aurora, New York
“was surprised....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

On such a long vacation, after eating at so many different restaurants, and it being the busy tourist season, we sorta started to lower our expectations a bit. It was nothing against any of the previous meals we had, but after eating at many hyped up places and then being cruelly disappointed, we decided it was easier, or less of a let down, to go in with no preconceived ideas about how our food would taste just based off reviews, and well, just eat. This allowed us to enjoy an exceptional dinner and have our minds thoroughly blown.

Sacks felt a whole lot less pretentious than a lot of the other places we dined at, and our server played a huge part in that. She didn't treat us like tourists, which was fairly obvious, but like normal people, which was a nice change of pace from being on the cruise ship. The food was great, but the two standouts that deserve mentioning here were the risotto, and the salmon. First, the salmon was grilled so perfectly, that it could have been paired with a glass of water, and I'd still be here reviewing it. Cooked just to the point where the middle is medium and the fish just flakes apart naturally. It wasn't dry at all, and the red/pink color was just amazing. Sorry Atlantic salmon, but Alaskan King is just so much better than you are. Now on to my husband's risotto. It was the second best I've ever had. I won't go into detail about the Italian chef who knew my sister's boyfriend's cousin, by marriage, but this risotto rivaled his and any I've had the privilege of tasting. Not overcooked, or undercooked, or too creamy, or too runny, or too cheesy, or any of the other typical mistakes chef's make, but the opposite of that. Good job, Sacks. It's nice to be able to get a great meal where the food speaks for itself.

• Visited August 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
“Great Place for Lunch Downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I'm rarely dissapointed when I stop in for lunch at Sak's except when I go at noon and can't get in because I didn't make a reservation. Food is delicious and service is great! A little brunch on Sunday is also a favorite. That being said, I've been in there twice for dinner and left fairly dissapointed. Food is overpriced for the quality served and the service staff seems to have an attitude. Seems the lunch staff should shed some light to the dinner staff. There are a lot better places in Anchorage, especially downtown, to spend decent money on dinner.

Wasilla, Alaska
“Not sure what to think”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I know this seems like an odd title for a review. However, I walked away from Sacks, my first experience, not really knowing if I would return. Between my husband and I, we had two entrees, two salads and a large bowl of soup. The soup was an African Peanut - sounded odd but interesting. Had the soup been flavored during cooking, I think the flavors may have come through better, but it was fairly bland. I noticed someone at an adjoining table comment it was odd. Next, I had a house salad which I didn't consider "house". It was mixed greens with feta and a raspberry dressing. The salad was dry, but balsamic was at the table, so I dressed it a bit more. My husband had a warmed pear salad that was excellent. My entree was a curry dish with a raita dressed rice. At first I didn't know it was rice - it didn't taste like rice, but I can't tell you what it tasted like - it was different. The curry was not seasoned adequately and I had to salt the dish to find the flavor. My husband had a cod dinner and I found his the be the most strange. It was good, but there were so many flavors that were competing and not complementing the dish. All of the food was fresh, and that came across in all dishes. I guess I would say that it was good, but I just think there were too many flavors that didn't seem to help out the dishes. I don't know if I'll go back. I think the prices were probably a bit high.

• Visited February 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
“Sacks Always Delivers on Special Food and Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This has been a longtime favorite. The quality of the food (and the wine list) is always superb, the atmosphere is casual and relaxed, yet elegant, and the staff are typically excellent. There is always something interesting on the menu to try. I highly recommend this place to family, friends, out of town guests and my B and B clientele.

Visited December 2012