“DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY. BED BUGS IN ROOMS/DIRTY MOTEL” 1 of 5 stars

Puffin Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4400 Spenard Road, Anchorage, AK 99517   |
Ranked #35 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Fairbanks, Alaska
“DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY. BED BUGS IN ROOMS/DIRTY MOTEL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

I could write a book about my stay but I am not going to I am just going to write what went wrong. I recommend DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY. It is NOT worth it.
1) girl at front desk does not like to answer phones due to her being on her personal cell phone or busy with friends. I called 6 times and she finally answered just so I could get picked up from the airport.
2) Shuttle took 40 minutes to get me even though the airport is only 5 minutes away.
3) Front dest staff are very rude and unprofessional if I remember correctly her name was Tanya or something to that extent.
4) Floors in hallway and room is stained has blood or something on them. The rooms smell like a prostitute house there is no other way to describe the smell. Wet dog, Stail smoke, Alcohol, Prostitute perfume smell.
5) mold growing in the showers and on the shower curtains.
6) BUGS IN THE BEDS!!!!! I seen so many little black bugs in my bed as well as hair which was NOT mine and stains on the sheets and blankets.
7) after going through all of this just after checking in I went to the front to once again wait for the girl to get off of her personal phone to help me. While I waited for that I got a cup of coffee and it just happened there was a door to a kitchen which must be the breakfast kitchen or something was open and sure enough just like the rest of the hotel the counters were dirty and so unsanitary just to imagine food coming from there. That is not up to health codes. I did NOT drink that coffee not knowing if it were safe or not. So I opted to leave the hotel she said she was going to charge Alaska Airlines anyways because I was from what she said in my room for more then an hour even though I had only been there for maybe fifteen minutes. All she wanted was to steal my money for sure since obviously they are not able to get buisness so they have to steal people's money. I defenatly let alaska airlines know about what had happened.
In the end I left the hotel furious I went to another hotel down the road called Marriott Courtyard but they were full and they recommended I stay at the Millennium hotel which is where I ended up staying. It is a bit more in price but well worth it. Once again. I BEG you to please DO NOT STAY at the Puffin Inn for it is unsanitary, Unsafe, Dirty, Bug infested and just the staff alone is rude and unprofessional. Stay at Millennium Hotel or Marriott Courtyard.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Grass Valley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

My friends and I stayed here for 2 nights on our way to Brooks Lodge. Then we stayed for 3 nights on the way back. The shuttle driver and ride was the best part of the hotel. When we arrived we found that they only had one room reserved even though we booked 2. We were put in the new updated section of the hotel. New and updated must mean different things to the owner then it does to me. The carpet is dirty and the room very sparse with no closet. There was a small fridge in the room which was the best part of the room. The staff at the desk was very rude and they all looked like they just got out of jail. The lobby is ok. The first room was very hot and we could not open the window. The walls are paper thin and you can here all noise in the hallway. We never had our room cleaned for three days even when we asked the maid directly to clean the room and change the sheets. We had to ask the front desk to bring us clean towels. Our second room was next to the elevator and all night you could hear the elevator running. For two nights I could not get on the internet for some unknown reason and the desk crew didn't care. Stay at another hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Gibbsboro, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

This motel is filthy. The carpet was black, there was dirt in the tub, stains on the blanket and smelled horrible. I told the manager on checking out and he didn't seem to care. I would have paid double to sleep in the lobby. The lobby is the best part of the motel don't be fooled. PS was told if I smoked in the room it would cost $100 smoke would have been an improvement.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

I used the Puffin twice this year and was satisfied all around. If you are looking for lavish accommodations this is not it. If you are looking for a good price and a good staff this is it. The crew was nice and shuttled us to our rental car and the airport. The rooms were clean. I selected a suite in the main building and liked the seperate room and kitchen. I am a seasoned traveller and rate this hotel as above average. Overall value is my goal and the Puffin did their job. Jon

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Kenai, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We staid at the puffin inn last year in one of their "newly remodeled" boutique rooms, and I am not sure when they wrote that newly remodeled advertisement, but it must have been about 30 years ago. The room was dingy and old, looked NOTHING like the pictures they showed us, but overall it wasnt a TERRIBLE stay, just definitely not a good one. We decided to give them one more try since they were nearby to where we needed to go. They put us in one of their older rooms, and boy were they not kidding, this one was a dump. It a hotbox with one tiny little window and so dirty, I refused to even use the shower before we continued on our way. The shower was actually growing mold!
The lady at the front desk was friendly, which was pretty much the only highlight of this trip.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Nothing extraordinary about this Hotel other than the convenience of its location & nearby 24hr places to eat. Last night I went to the lobby computer to check some flight schedules and got caught up reading, It was about 2300 hours and no one was around, nice and quite. I had only been there long enough for the allotted time recommended to accommodate others plus I was getting hungry and ready to walk, on a nice night, down the street to dine. As I was reading and thinking an unidentified aggressive man intruded into my space asking several questions back-to-back not allowing an answer if I wanted to give one. He was assuming I didn't belong at the hotel and saying he remembers my face and etc. ... he was difficult to understand and would not allow me to respond nor question. I attempted asking who he was and is their a manager but I don't think he could hear me over his ranting. This is how things unfolded very rapidly but what disturbed me most is when he started I was trying to say no problem and as I was attempting to sign off the computer he walked to the plug and unplugged the computer which anyone knows can damage it. At this point I attempted to ask why but was ignored and as I was walking past he too walked out and he asserted, as he pointed to a specific car in the parking lot, that he knew that was my car. As I walked away to the restaurant I was able to find some humor in that he might be aggravating another customer about the car and give someone else the opportunity to speak their mind.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Camdenton, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We made reservations online and stayed three different, non-consecutive nights at the Puffin Inn. The first night was in the old section. It is badly in need of refurbishment and is not well cared for. My wife described the carpet as "gross". Another guest was demanding a room change due to the smell in his room. We changed our reservations for the next stays to the new section. It was fine. Maid service was poor one night (no soap, left used washrag on the shower curtain, had not emptied the ice bucket, etc. Perhaps just a bad night for the maid. However, the staff at the desk, the shuttle driver, etc. were all very friendly and helpful. They stored our luggage and kept fish in their locker over night for no charge when we left for a one day side trip. If you stay there, be sure your reservations are for the new section of the motel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Puffin Inn? Share your experiences!