“As long as you are in the new wing...” 4 of 5 stars

Puffin Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4400 Spenard Road, Anchorage, AK 99517   |
Ranked #36 of 69 Hotels in Anchorage
Sarasota,FL
“As long as you are in the new wing...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Actually pretty pleasantly surprised! Reasonably priced accommodations in Anchorage and very convenient to the airport. Our room was in the remodeled original Puffin Inn and was clean with good quality towels and linens. Breakfast was the usual bagels/pastry/waffles, but all seemed pretty fresh.My only concern would be noise, as there are large gaps at the bottoms of the doors. DO NOT book into their adjacent property as demo/rebuild would be the only way to fix it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
It sounds like we’re doing something right, Richard! Great location, comfortable accommodations, tasty breakfast — that's that we're striving for, so your compliments here mean the world to us! Thanks for the feedback and I hope you'll come visit us again on your next trip to Anchorage!

Till then,
Sonja, Puffin Inn Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
windsor, co
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

not the ritz but didn't expect it to be.Got in late and left early. served the purpose. Breakfast was adequate,included in the price. Have used before, will use again if and when needed. booked early and got a great rate..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Tasty breakfast, affordable prices, comfortable accommodations — that's what we're trying to provide, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for the feedback and I hope you'll visit us again soon!

TIll then,
Columbus, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Old fashioned motel with dirty carpet and poor service.
Breakfast was served in crowded place wih lobby; menu was really poor .
Romm was old date and there was no elevator in use.
Complete absence of security on premise.

Room Tip: Do not visit this location
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We work very hard to provide a safe and secure environment for our customers, so I'm sorry that you felt as if our security was lacking. In fact, we have nightly security patrols that make sure all of our buildings are safe and secure. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and hope your next trip to Alaska is more pleasant.

All the best,
SD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The rooms in the main building are fine, as is the breakfast. However, you will be dissapointed if you are in the "original building" or what they call "the suites" in the Chandler Inn. No comparison. Staff is great.

Room Tip: The rating is for a room in the main building. Anywhere else would be way below average.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our staff and breakfast, but disappointed that you weren't satisfied with your room in the Chandler Inn. Although the Inn is a lot older than our main building, we work hard to make it as clean and comfortable as can be. Thank you for the feedback and we hope you'll visit us again on your next trip to Alaska.

Cheers,
Peoria, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

It's not hard to find a lot of good things to say about this hotel; good location close to airport but not too close, restaurants all around, large rooms, nice TV, easy parking, good breakfast, nice lobby & fountain... But a few flaws mess things up:
On arrival a very pretty and sweet young blond with too much eye makeup at the reception desk check us in efficiently, but then the room key didn't work. So family stood in the rain with our luggage outside the building door while I went back and got the key-card re-written. Then the room smelled like smoke. Even the hallways smelled. We stayed in a separate building from the main hotel, on the second floor, and there's no elevator, just a narrow stair. That wasn't a problem, but it would have been nice if they'd spent the time to clean the smoke out of our non-smoking room.
The wifi was slow but adequate for emails and browsing.
The room had a nice dormer window with blinds. The bathtub had jets. No bubbles, just jets. Still, that was nice. Also it was big and deep.
Good big TV not set to hotel mode, so I could plug an hdmi cable in and use my laptop to watch a movie. Nice.
I'd love to give this hotel a higher rating. I'd stay here again, as the price was the lowest I found for a well rated hotel. but the smell of smoke was a deal buster for my wife.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms in the main part of the hotel are kept better and smoke free.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'm glad that you loved a lot of things about our hotel, but very disappointed to hear that you thought your room smelled like smoke. I will make sure that our housekeeping staff checks through the rooms to make sure that they are all smelling fresh. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you come visit us again on your next trip to Alaska.

All the best,
Toledo, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The place was nicely kept and the room was large. We travel with pets and the room did not smell bad like pet rooms most often do. I will say the curtains were filled with cob webs and the windows were in need of cleaning around the bases as though the maids never open the curtains. It really was a minor thing, though. The customer service and location were excellent. We have a view of beach and ocean. Even though we were on Hwy 101, it was still very quiet. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the south side and it was quiet and a nice view. I think I would try to stay upstairs...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your pet friendly room! Customer feedback is very important to us, so I definitely plan on speaking with our cleaning staff about the curtains. Thank you for the feedback and if you ever visit Alaska again, give us a call!

Cheers,
Flanders, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My name is Terry Thomas, born in Fairbanks in 1940 and now working in New Jersey. The Puffin Inn is my home away from home when in Anchorage so when my wife and I brought our family (kids, grandchildren, and and a niece...16 in all) to Alaska for an extended RV trip we had to start and finish at the Puffin. It was just great. The staff worked with us when problems arose and offered assistance when we needed it. Chico, in spite of being the "boss", always found time for a chat, act as our personal guide and, when possible, driver. I'll be back, Chico. You can count on it. Your place reflects the Alaskan hospitality I grew up with in Fairbanks in the '40s & '50s.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sonja J, Owner at Puffin Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'm so excited that you had the opportunity to return home to Alaska with your family, Terry! A lot has changed since you were a kid, but Alaska is still a wonderful place to live filled with tons of friendly people. It's great that you felt our hospitality! Thank you for the review and I hope to see you on your next trip back home!

Sonja, Puffin Inn Management

Been to Puffin Inn? Share your experiences!