“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East 8th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #45 of 69 hotels in Anchorage
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed at Extended Stay America Anchorage Downtown August 3 & 4, 2013. Things started off badly because the shuttle that I had scheduled to pick up my wife and me was late by 40 minutes. I work for a hotel as a shuttle driver and I know that it is very important to be on time for pick ups. The hotel was nice though, the check in was fast and pleasent, the room was clean and looked like it had just been remodeled. We had two queen beds, one was not good the other was good. We slept well enough. I liked the location being downtown but not right in the center of things. It was an easy walk to wherever we wanted to go. On the morning of the 5th, I had arranged for a shuttle for the ride to the train depot at 7 am. The shuttle driver did not come into work and the driver from the midtown hotel was not going to get to us until 7:30 am which would have been too late. The hotel called a taxi and paid for it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We are in the middle of our stay for 2 nights and will happily return here at the end of our Alaska vacation prior to flying out of Anchorage. We are very satisfied with our accommodations. We made our reservations several months ago and reviewing recent reviews were nervous about what we would find. This is an extended stay property and daily maid service is not a feature of such properties. The room was well set up, with a kitchenette and everything was very clean. I am not a fan of room fresheners but it aired out quickly. The staff was very pleasant and thorough with information at check in. Policies were explained (housekeeping, parking, extra toiletries, breakfast) a packet of information and a map were handed to us. Additional free tourist information is found in the breakfast room. There are laundry facilities on our floor which we plan to use. Breakfast is 'grab and go' (remember you have your own kitchen) instant oatmeals, packaged muffins, granola bars, tea bags, creamers, apples, oranges and surprisingly good coffee. We are happy for security at the front door, cannot speak to parking as we don't have a car and overall this property is what we hoped for; clean, safe, and convenient for our needs.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and would happily return. As well, it is great to know that you found your room to be clean, liked the service our staff provided to you and felt safe as well as comfortable at our hotel's location.

New City, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I'm a bit surprised by some of the negative reviews here. We stayed for one night after landing in Anchorage and again a few nights later after visiting Denali. Our rooms were basic, but clean, comfortable and cost less than many other hotels in the area. I was, however, very disappointed in the free breakfast. It was very basic and about the worst I have seen. The location is on the edge of downtown (across from the Federal Courthouse), but within walking distance to many good restaurants. Anchorage, after all, is small city. Unless you plan to sleep late, skip the $10 parking fee and park for free on the street.

Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Terribly overpriced for the location, although they claim to be 'downtown'. It is a good walk to anywhere downtown. We buzzed in after midnight & the manager took 5mins to greet us in her pajamas. Later we heard her tell another guest that even though he paid the $10 pkg fee and there were no more spots, she couldn't help him. I had to pre-wash the tub before I could draw a bath for my kids. Gross hairs & eyelashes that were not ours had to be rinsed down.

Their shuttle only goes til 11pm so we had to get a taxi ($18). Every other hotel's shuttle vans were lined up at 1230am and filling up with their guests.

We spent 3 weeks in Alaska and tried to budget as best we could but all we can say now is that we wish we would've bucked up the $50-100 more and stayed at Captain Cook's!

Fairbanks, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Basic hotel, typical extended stay with no room service unless you stay at least a week. It would have been nice if they would have advised me in advance that it would cost an additional $10 per day to park my car, and that the car lot was split into two sections with part of it a half block away.

Breakfast buffet? Really? Coffee, hot water and oatmeal, apples and oat bars. Yum.

Be sure to bring your own shampoo. They don't provide that in the rooms. The air conditioning and heating unit was full on freezing or sauna mode. You chose, you cook or you freeze.

Next time I bring a tent and my Coleman stove.

Room Tip: Hard to rate the restaurant and room service. They don't have any.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Fransisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights last week ($200/day).What a nightmare it was...I don't have any good things to say about this hotel. The moment I entered the front lobby I was greeted by skunk smell and rude receptionist. We were tired so we ignored it. We just wanted to go to the room and crash. The room was very dirty and has very bad smell. The smell was so bad that I I had to go to walmart to buy room freshener. The bathroom and kitchen were not cleaned properly. The a/c was not working. Moreover there was parking fees of $10/day which we were not aware. Their web site does not mentions any thing.Next morning I requested the manager (I guess her name is Cindy) to take care of the issues. But she didn't even cared about it.
The hotel has worst rooms, unacceptable service and no value for the money.
I will not recommend this hotel.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Upon making this reservation my mom and I spoke at length to a manager about the hotel and its location. We were first told that it was right in the heart of downtown Anchorage. It was not. It was at least a five block walk to anything that was happening in downtown Anchorage. That's not so bad considering the weather was nice outside in July. As a Tourist in new territory you expect that the hotel would know what to tell a tourist to do. Not the extended stay downtown Anchorage. The hotel staff knew nothing. We ask them what were the must see sites in Alaska and they told us several restaurants to go to. I didn't want to eat I wanted to see Alaska. We asked were there any brochures in the hotel to tell us what To see and to do and the answer was no. Again fine,because my mother and I are adventurous we walked downtown and we spoke to many people who were able to tell us where the tourism home was as well as what buses to take to see different things in Alaska. The people of Alaska were the ones that headed us in the right direction. Not the hotel. Upon being gone for 12 hours from our hotel, we came back to a smelly hotel room. We had cooked breakfast in the room so some of the fruit peelings were left in the garbage can. We just knew the room would be cleaned because in most $160 a night hotels, You get housekeeping. Not At the extended stay Anchorage. We called downstairs and we asked about housekeeping. They told us that if you stay longer than six days you get your room cleaned. We did not see that in the small print nor were we told upon making the reservation or upon check-in. This was a problem. When my mom expressed her dissatisfaction with this she was told by one of the employees "it aint gonna affect my check." Who does that ? At any rate, the rooms was actually decent and the beds were comfortable, the service was just terrible.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown? Share your experiences!