“Ok but not luxury” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East 8th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #47 of 69 Hotels in Anchorage
Richmond, Virginia
“Ok but not luxury”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Decent place if price is right, but rooms are a little small for an extended stay. Since I only stayed 2 nights, space was not an issue. Pay for parking or you get towed. A little off the beaten path, but still easy to walk to various downtown attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
MAGDYI, Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that the associates were eager to earn your satisfaction from arrival through departure. Again, thank you for the great review of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Anchorage!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Fairbanks, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I fly in and out of Anchorage frequently and always stay at least one night in one of the local hotels. Not only is this one way over priced, it has quite possibly the rudest management I have ever encountered. The rooms are dirty, and the staff is disorganized and apparently untrained. Do yourself a favor and save $20 and stay at any competing hotel, no matter what your experience is there, know that it could be worse. As an added bonus you get to pay extra for parking, luckily enough people know not to stay here you can probably find a spot in their tiny lot, no promises though. To top it all off, it is not near downtown attractions, unless your destination is an office building. With all the hotels in Anchorage, I have no idea how this one stays in business

Room Tip: The best rooms are in different hotels
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MAGDYI, Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Anchorage Downtown. Our company prides itself on providing great service and clean rooms which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. Please know how important your comfort is to us. It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss further at AND@extendedstay.com - thank you! Sandra Pereira, General Manager
Gregory, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was an awesome hotel We have not stayed in extended stay before, but we loved it. The rooms were clean, large, loved the kitchenette. The bagels, coffee and fruit were really nice because we didn't have anything to make in the kitchen yet. Also, walking distance to the museum. Beds were very comfortable. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe - Anchorage Downtown. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. We will definitely pass your glowing comments on to Amber as well as the entire staff and thank them for providing such great ""Home Away From Home"" service to our guests.

Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've stayed at quite a few ESAs and ESDs and this one performed in line with expectations. Anchorage hotels in general have gone way up in price in the last year or two; I guess the days of being able to stay sub-$50 in mid-September have gone the way of free check-in bags on airlines. Maybe global warming has extended the summer season by 10 days or so. You probably have to go in late September these days to see peak fall colors and get much of a break on prices in ANC.

But I digress. I ended up with this hotel via Priceline, so imagine my delight when I get on TripAdvisor and read about the $10/day parking fee. (At least they don't make the parking "free" and charge a resort fee instead...that'd be the ultimate cynical move).

To be fair, the location IS a bit downtownish and hemmed in, and I suspect the dedicated spaces wouldn't be enough for all the guests if everyone had a car. Of course, I wanted to avoid the fee on principle. Thankfully the situation isn't as bad as feared, as it's on the edge of downtown and nights, Saturdays and Sundays are free on the street meters (which are 10-hour at 75 cents an hour, if memory serves). Which leaves weekdays during the day, when you can either pay the meter or try your luck with 2-hour non-metered street parking in the residential areas two blocks to the south (starting at 10th). Thankfully I had only one non-weekend day and didn't run into any of that, but YMMV. (To further complicate things, some streetsides can't be parked on overnight from Oct. 15-April 15 because of street cleaning).

The hotel isn't very well signed and can be tricky to locate, but if you're heading northbound on A Street just look to the right (eastward) just before you get to 8th.

Check-in was friendly and the room very ESA-like. You don't get daily maid service, so it's best for messy families, people who think they can cook but really can't, or the generally slovenly to stay elsewhere. TV had a smattering of channels, with Showtime, Showtime 2 and Showtime Extreme the movie channels.

The floor had an ice machine (that worked), which was nice. Many people don't like using ice trays in the frig they didn't fill themselves (and you have to wait if you do empty and fill them), so it's nice to have an alternative.

There's also a one-terminal "business center" for boarding pass printing and the wireless-less, which is good.

The indoor pool/jacuzzi were fine, if a little undersized for demand at times. In reading the signs I notice they're open 9 a.m. until 11 p.m., with 10 p.m.-11 p.m. designated as only for adults. I think this is a great idea and would be even greater if consistently followed (the maintenance guy had locked out all keycards by 9:42 p.m. on a Sunday night).

All in all it was consistent with other ESDs I've stayed at, though with the Alaska effect I paid roughly twice the lower 48 price, even through PL. This is in line with others in the local area, and certainly you could get a real dump on Spenard and pay just as much. OTOH, guests tend to let fewer smaller things slide when the nightly outlay goes up, even if it's just because everything's more expensive in Alaska.

This place can work in a pinch or as an alternative to a number of the poorly reviewed places, and if you're car-less it seems well-connected to the bus system and within walking distance for most of downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write about your experience at our hotel. We apologize for some of the issues you had during your stay with us; however, I am so happy to hear that your overall stay with us was a great one. It is so rewarding to hear we met your expectations and you would stay with us again.

Odessa, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had one short night in Anchorage and looked for a budget hotel. This hotel was going through renovations on the ground floor at the Lobby area, which can explain some of the mess and would not have bothered us. However our room on the 2nd floor and the corridor looked as if they did not see a vacuum cleaner for a month or so. The bathroom was clean so we stayed. The bathroom was clean so we stayed. Breakfast was abysmal. Parking is available for extra fees. Spend more and get a cleaner place

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I recently received a copy of your review about your stay at our hotel.  Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post.  Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the cleanliness of your accommodation. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. It pleases me to know that the bathroom in your room met our high standards of cleanliness; however, I am saddened to read that the rest of your room and the hallways did not. Given the account you described, there was clearly an unacceptable break down in our regular operations, so I have met with my staff to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed only one night and arrived late at night. Glad that I had read the previous posts, because hotel is hard to find. Also, we had parked away from the hotel, because the hotel parking lot was full. On street parking is available, but you have to pay a meter. (As stated in a previous post, you can park for free from 6pm-9am. That means someone will have to get up and feed the meter.) That wound up not being a problem, because we were checked out by 9am. Check in was fast. Asked to have a quiet room and not located by elevators or vending machines. We got to our 2nd floor room and it was located by the elevator and vending machines! I looked at my husband, probably with those "REALLY!?!?" eyes, and he asked if he should go get another room. We had been traveling and so tired I just wanted to get some sleep. Opened the room man was it hot! We opened the window and turned on air cond, but it took forever to cool down. There were 2 beds. And, these 2 beds have seen better days....years ago. They sagged in the middle. Got settled down and watched some tv. Fell asleep after the room cooled down. Received a phone call at 12:10am! Receiving a phone call at that hour is never good. The front desk lady wanted to know what our zip code was!!! Really? I asked her what time it was, and she said that it was only 12:10am. You would think that she could have Goggled that zip code. We woke up and ran out of there. Won't be coming back there. Pay extra and stay at Dimond Center Hotel or Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. I am terribly sorry to hear your room was too hot for your stay, the beds were uncomfortable and the front desk staff woke you up in the middle of the night. Since your stay, all of these specific issues have been addressed and we are working on making improvements to our processes.

Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

When I checked in I was given my room # and key card. The key card didn't work. They gave me a new key card, didn't work. The desk person walked up with me and opened door. A woman screamed - there was already someone in the room! It was after midnight and I didn't want to go look for another hotel, so they gave me another room. There were kids running up and down the halls and adults talking loudly well after 2 in the morning. My room was very small and the furniture worn out. When I talked with the manager the next day, she didn't seem concerned at all. She just asked me if I wanted to check out. The front desk clerks were friendly and concerned, but not the manager. I was still charged for the room but moved to a new hotel. I did lodge a complaint with the company.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Janell - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The experiences you described is truly regrettable. Our company takes pride in offering comfortable surroundings for all of our guests, which does not seem to be what you experienced. From your room key not working, to being escorted into an occupied room, to kids running around at all hours - I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff and will be working with them to ensure it does not happen again.

Been to Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown? Share your experiences!