“Spend the extra money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   108 East 8th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #45 of 69 Hotels in Anchorage
alaska
“Spend the extra money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed only one night and arrived late at night. Glad that I had read the previous posts, because hotel is hard to find. Also, we had parked away from the hotel, because the hotel parking lot was full. On street parking is available, but you have to pay a meter. (As stated in a previous post, you can park for free from 6pm-9am. That means someone will have to get up and feed the meter.) That wound up not being a problem, because we were checked out by 9am. Check in was fast. Asked to have a quiet room and not located by elevators or vending machines. We got to our 2nd floor room and it was located by the elevator and vending machines! I looked at my husband, probably with those "REALLY!?!?" eyes, and he asked if he should go get another room. We had been traveling and so tired I just wanted to get some sleep. Opened the room man was it hot! We opened the window and turned on air cond, but it took forever to cool down. There were 2 beds. And, these 2 beds have seen better days....years ago. They sagged in the middle. Got settled down and watched some tv. Fell asleep after the room cooled down. Received a phone call at 12:10am! Receiving a phone call at that hour is never good. The front desk lady wanted to know what our zip code was!!! Really? I asked her what time it was, and she said that it was only 12:10am. You would think that she could have Goggled that zip code. We woke up and ran out of there. Won't be coming back there. Pay extra and stay at Dimond Center Hotel or Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, September 11, 2012

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. I am terribly sorry to hear your room was too hot for your stay, the beds were uncomfortable and the front desk staff woke you up in the middle of the night. Since your stay, all of these specific issues have been addressed and we are working on making improvements to our processes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

When I checked in I was given my room # and key card. The key card didn't work. They gave me a new key card, didn't work. The desk person walked up with me and opened door. A woman screamed - there was already someone in the room! It was after midnight and I didn't want to go look for another hotel, so they gave me another room. There were kids running up and down the halls and adults talking loudly well after 2 in the morning. My room was very small and the furniture worn out. When I talked with the manager the next day, she didn't seem concerned at all. She just asked me if I wanted to check out. The front desk clerks were friendly and concerned, but not the manager. I was still charged for the room but moved to a new hotel. I did lodge a complaint with the company.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Janell - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The experiences you described is truly regrettable. Our company takes pride in offering comfortable surroundings for all of our guests, which does not seem to be what you experienced. From your room key not working, to being escorted into an occupied room, to kids running around at all hours - I am truly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff and will be working with them to ensure it does not happen again.

Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was overall unsatisfied with my stay at the extended stay downtown. They were very inconsistent in a lot of different areas. FIrst off, I wanted a hotel that had a "fitness center". What they consider a "fitness center" here is a joke, it's basically in a closet, has a bike that doesnt work, a stair master, and a treadmill that sounds like its going to break. They do room service once a week which is standard for extended stay hotels but they were inconsistent with that as well, missing my day and not getting around to it until I prompted the front desk staff. They don't have coffee ready every morning, which is quite annoying when you walk down from your room all the way to the lobby for nothing. My dishes in the cabinet were dirty. The doors on the outside don't always work and you will stand there putting your card in and out several times.

I will say that staff was nice and ready to help out with any problem. However there were just too many things that went wrong and I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. I am sorry to read that you found our levels of cleanliness not up to your expections and some of the basic amenities we provide in each room not working. Our housekeeping staff follows the company guidelines ensuring each room is up to the expected standards and our maintenance staff are required to fix any hotel item when it is brought to their attention. It seems that we failed you in these areas; however, as this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My family of 7 used Priceline to book a hotel using the "Express Deal" option. Using this option, we didn't know the name of the hotel until after we paid for it. The normal price for this hotel during our stay was advertised at $174 the Priceline deal was $93. I'm really glad we didn't pay the $174. The breakfast was advertised as a continental breakfast - sorry but that's not a good description - the apples and oranges were old (apples were brown inside and the juice was starting to solidify in the oranges), coffee and bagels. No juice, no milk, not even ice water. We ended up going to the store for breakfast. Along with having to buy breakfast, you need to take into consideration a $10 per night fee for parking into your costs. Which we did to be safe from the morning tow threat. When we went to park, both the main lot and the overflow lot was full so we had to wait for someone to move so we could park. When we went out for something to eat, we had to circle back around again looking for a parking spot. The Hotel it's self is clean and not in a bad location, but smells of smoke. The staff was friendly. I gave it a 3 because it was clean, we only stayed one night and got the Priceline deal of $93. If I would have paid $174 - I would have given it 1 star.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

In response to your comments, I have met with our hotel staff and management in order to better ensure that items are always stocked during the hours that the coffee bar is made available. I can assure you that we are working hard to be better prepared in the future.

Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Pros: Room seemed clean, decent wireless Internet, overall clean. They were shampooing the carpets in my hallway when I checked in. At least I know they take care of the place.

Cons: 1) Charged for parking but it appeared they oversold the amount of parking spots available in the place. Perhaps back up your towing threat statements by actually towing those who don't pay the parking fee? 2) "Breakfast" should be renamed the Plain Bagel and Coffee experience as that is all you get. Really don't define this as a "breakfast" or "continental breakfast" . 3) A little bummed I wasn't allowed to check in early after 14 hours of flying when there were clearly rooms available when I arrived.

Overall: A good place to stay; perhaps for less than a week. I didn't choose this place by choice as William Shatner (celebrity on a popular travel website) chose this place for me . Just make sure they don't stick you in a smoking room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay Deluxe Anchorage - Downtown. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a great room at a great rate, while still giving you something extra, like our expanded coffee bar. I do certainly recognize, however, that if you are looking for a full breakfast, our coffee bar won't satisfy you. I sincerely wish we had been better able to communicate exactly what our morning service includes so that you would not have been disappointed.

Whakatane,New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Having read some less than flattering trip advisor member reviews it was with some trepidation that my wife and I checked in to this apartment hotel but it turned out to be much better than some of the reviews had indicated.The studio king bed apartment was small but comfortable and had all that we wanted-a comfortable large bed,a large frig/freezer,a compact kitchenette with microwave and coffee maker and an iron and ironing board.I get the feeling that some members are being very picky when recording their views.

Room Tip: the corridors can be noisy and sound comes through the door-a room at the end of a corridor would be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for your positive review about your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you and your wife.

The company has labored over the design of our unique suites, keeping you in mind as they are doing so. This is why each hotel, including ours, offers amenities like a full refrigerator, stovetop, in-room wifi access, personalized voicemail, and on-premise laundry. It gives us great pride to hear that we have just the right mix of enhancements available for our guests to enjoy, thus enabling them to have the perfect stay.

Once again, from my staff and I, thank you for your kind works. It would be our pleasure to have you repeat your stay with us in the future or at any one of our other brand locations.
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We liked the Anchorage,Alaska Downtown location of Extended Stay.
The Staff made our stay more comfortable.

Room Tip: Our stay in Anchorage,Ak was good because of 4 special staff member at Anchorage,Ak Extended Stay.Se...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Owner at Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Elizabeth - My staff and I would like to thank you for the positive review of your stay at our hotel. It is rewarding to me to hear such kind words about the team which manages the property each day, especially in regards to Sebrina, Debbie and Sherrie. We work hard to attain 100% guest satisfaction and are very happy to know that this goal was fulfilled with you.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for staying with us. We would be honored to have you stay with us again or at any of our other brand locations.

Been to Extended Stay America - Anchorage - Downtown? Share your experiences!