“This hotel is anything but grand in appearance but the suites and service are a real deal.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Anchorage Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Anchorage Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Anchorage Grand Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   505 W 2nd Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501   |
Ranked #22 of 69 hotels in Anchorage
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The shabby pink building and worn stairways that greet you might make you want to run to the Hilton up the street. And the "lobby" isn't much better. But the place grows on you. For a family, the roomy suite and full kitchen can't be beat. The staff is so helpful, though sometimes frazzled as they are understaffed. The continental breakfast they leave on your door is nothing to write home about--sweet breakfast bars, apple juice and less than fresh bagels--but it comes in handy on the early morning buses you take when you use Anchorage as a home base. The bed is comfy and whatever you need they will find for you. The location can't be better, though the train whistles drove my husband crazy. I kind of liked them. I would stay here again if traveling with my family. Solo, probably not.

• Stayed June 2013

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

After reading all of the positive reviews on trip advisor, I decided to book this place for our after cruise overnighter. When I arrived at the hotel, I knew right away that I was going to be disappointed before even walking in. The pinkish color building really needs to be updated. I don't know if I walked in the wrong door, but I didn't see any other door besides the one off the street. Right when I walked in, there were stairs leading to the 2nd and 3rd floors. It took me a while trying to find out where the lobby was. There are signs that point you in the right direction, but when I went down to the second floor where the sign says hotel lobby pointing to a door, I wasn't sure if it was a joke or if this was actually the lobby door. The door was closed so it looked exactly like a door for a guest room. Thinking the sign was incorrect, I decided to go down to the first floor to see if maybe the lobby was there. I was wrong. So I went back upstairs and the door was miraculously opened. I walked right in and checked in. George the attendant was very nice and told me that he used to live in Southern California and his wife was from East LA. What a coincidence since I'm from the LA area. Never could understand why anyone would want to leave LA and move all the way up to Anchorage. They have complimentary fresh baked chocolate cookies and apples at the front desk for guests. There is also a free parking lot next door in the a dirt lot. We had to drag our luggage up to the 3rd floor in order to take the elevator up to our room. The carpeting and walls are very old and really needs to be updated. The elevator is super slow and will only fit about 2 people with luggage. Walking down the hallway to our room, I noticed how dirty and grimy the carpet was. Opened up the door and an odor hit me in the face. Can't really explain what it is exactly, but it definitely smelled old. The room was super warm and I went straight to the thermostat to turn on the ac. Guess what, this hotel does not have an ac unit. You will either have to use the fan that's in the closet or open up the windows that have no screens on them. So, I guess you can pick your poison here. Our view was of a backyard that has weeds and grass growing wild. Didn't feel comfortable leaving the windows open since I don't know what will fly in or crawl in while we were sleeping. There was a bedroom separating it from the living room. The room is definitely bigger than most typical hotel rooms. So that's a plus, but I don't know if it's a big plus since the carpet and couches didn't look clean. Even though the couch didn't have any odor to it, it just didn't look clean due to the decor of the couch. The design reminded me of a cheap motel comforter. The bathroom was small but functional. There was a full kitchen with a microwave, full size fridge and a sink. There was a small dining table and I believe there were dishes in the cupboards. I was too afraid to open up the cupboards since I wasn't sure if there was a family of mice or other vermin living in there. The one saving grace was the bed. I am so thankful that the sheets were white and felt soft to the touch. The sheets looked like something you would get at a Sheraton or Hilton. Can't really say if it's the same quality, but I'm glad it's white and wasn't of a cheap motel quality. I did notice that the window in the bedroom had a screen on it so we left it opened for the whole night. Only problem with that is that the train runs throughout the night and we can hear it running and whistling every now and then. The hotel is located about a block away from the Hilton. It's within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. On Saturdays, the parking lot across the street holds an open air flea market. I am not very happy paying $159 for a one night stay through Expedia. But I would have been very upset paying their going rate of $200 if I didn't plan ahead of time. Overall, I would never want to stay here again if I am in Anchorage. Actually, I really wanted to cancel my reservation and book at the Sheraton as there was a special that day for $153. But I thought I would just buck up and stay the night. If you take a cab to or from the airport, it will run you about $20.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I like staying downtown and thought I would give this place a try. The reviews are right, this is a fantastic place! Big rooms, full kitchen, clean and quiet. You get free parking, a continental breakfast and a daily newspaper. The price was GREAT and I WILL stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stoughton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had 2 stays at the Anchorage Grand during our 2-week honeymoon. We chose it based on the location (right by the train depot) and the reviews.

Our first room was a king-bed suite. It was HUGE! It was all one room, included a couch, chair, coffee table, desk, breakfast table & chairs. Had 3 closets. Nice sized bathroom that appeared to be handicap accessible (which was weird because the hotel is NOT handicap accessible). This room faced the road. We slept with the windows open, so we heard some people on the street below, but it wasn't all that distracting.

The hotel stored our extra luggage while we went overnight to Whittier. Very helpful.

When we returned to Anchorage, we had a 2-room queen-bed suite. The bedroom wasn't big, but it was comfortable. The living room had the standard furniture that I wrote above. Both rooms had kitchenettes, and in this room we used it. We shopped at WalMart and ended up making dinner in the room with their small selection of kitchen items. This room had 2 closets and a standard sized bathroom. This was a corner room facing the train depot and the water. The trains make noise, but we didn't find that to be a problem and we slept with the windows open. One of the employees was my savior as I needed a feminine product, and she was able to provide until I got to a store the next day. Thank you!!!

I would most definitely stay at this hotel whenever I'm in Anchorage. We were able to walk too and from the train depot, the Saturday market, the post office, etc. The fresh baked cookies are a nice touch. And the employees were so helpful. The beds were so comfortable we wish we knew who made them so we could buy one!

One one bad thing I would say is that the couches and chairs really need to be replaced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

The location is the key factor for this hotel. Being in downtown, one can find tour agencies, gift shops and many restaurants nearby. The hotel does not have a restaurant in house and sends a measly breakfast in a bag- early morning, with a cup of instant oatmeal, a begal and an energy bar- hung on your door handle. You have to heat the begal and prepare tea/coffee in the kitchen in your room. This was very unusual since most hotels provide a wide and good choice of breakfast in their lobby
There is no room service for any needs.
The room has a double bed but not wide enough for two to sleep comfortably. There is a sofa which can be turned into a bed at night.
There is a bit of annoying sound of train whistles few times even at night.
Overall, the good location coupled with reasonable charges make this hotel am acceptable option.

• Stayed May 2013
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was in Anchorage on a business trip and chose to stay at The Anchorage Grand on the first night. (I moved to the business hotel for the duration of the business part of my trip.) The first thing I noticed was how helpful the staff was. Georgia checked me in and while talking to her, George came in. They were both extremely helpful in helping me find my way around Anchorage and even printed out directions and maps for me. They answered all my questions. When I walked into the room, I was amazed at how big and clean it was. It was a small suite for the most reasonable price in town. I compared it to the more well-known, and higher-priced chain, that I had to move to, and for value, "The Grand" beat them hands down.
I told them that I was definitely coming back after my business part was over, and 3 days later I was back at The Grand. George was on duty then, and I can truly say that he was the most helpful front desk person I have ever met, and a gentleman too. I was tired and just wanted to check in and rest and he accomodated me. He helped me bring in my stuff to the room and made sure everything was OK with me. Thank you, George, for going above and beyond. Kudos to you.
As for the train, I love trains, so I was glad to have a train room the first time, and actually requested the same view the second time. George put me on a higher floor so I could have a better view. Thanks for doing that, George. It was a better view, and I liked it! The trains never woke me up! Never even heard the horns! But then, I like trains.
I will definitely stay at the Anchorage Grand Hotel again. The price is right and the staff is exceptional, especially George. Did I mention that the weekend market is right there. Would recommend to others.
One thing though, fix your breakfast. It could be improved.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cantwell, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The main entrance puts you in between floors so it is necessary to walk down about 5 steps to reach the front desk and elevator. There could quite possibly be a side entrance at that level for wheelchairs but I didn't notice if it was accessible either.

We stayed on the bottom floor at ground level. Our room was very nice and large and clean. We had a view of the train yard which was fine. The temperature in the building was very hot and we had to open a window to cool the room down. We ended up having to sleep with the window open which was a little disconcerting since we were on the ground floor.

Parking is available and they will issue you a parking permit to use which must be returned at check out. If you are visiting during the weekend, you can park along the street and it is not necessary to feed the parking meters on weekends.

We didn't partake of the continental breakfast so I can not comment on that. However, there is a full kitchen in the room although no pots/pans/plates or anything available. There was one locked cabinet in the kitchen and perhaps these items were in that cabinet and could have been unlocked if we requested it or were staying longer.

The hotel is right next to the train depot so expect some train noise. Being April, train traffic was light and I only heard train whistles twice. Summer could expect a lot more noise from trains although there are enough train enthusiasts that it might not be a problem.

The location downtown is great and within easy walking distance of many restaurants, shops, and attractions such as the outdoor market, the coastal trail, and the performing arts center.

I would definitely stay here again especially since it is not a chain business but seems a locally owned operation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street will be quieter than rooms facing the train depot.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ihsn2012, Owner at Anchorage Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear AK_Syringa,

Thank you for the nice comments regarding the Anchorage Grand. We hope to have your back as our guest in the future. Just so you know, we do have a handicap ramp for handicap guests just to the left of the main entry. This avoids the 5 steps to the lobby off the main entrance. Also, one side of the kitchen cabinet is locked, but the other side is not. We offer fully equipped kitchens with everything you need for the service of 4 people, including plates, saucers, cups, glasses, silverware, pots, pans, and various cooking utensils you might have noticed in the drawers. This is readily available to all guests. We regret that your room was hot. We are in that transition time of year when winter is ending, and we are starting to get warmer temperatures. Each room comes equipped with its individual thermostat. If that was not responding quick enough, our maintenance could have adjusted the valve in the room to cut down the flow of hot water through the baseboard heater. And yes, you are right, you will hear the occassional train horn at the Anchorage Grand due to our close proximity to the train depot. Some guests think its pretty cool to look down the hill at the depot, and hear the occassional horn, and others would rather due without it. All in all, we hopefully make up for the occassional horn sound with our large well appointed rooms, friendly staff, and unbeatable rate. Thanks again for your comments, and we hope to have you back as our guest.
John W.
Hotel Proprietor

Been to Anchorage Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!