“Fantastic breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Asian, Diner, Hawaiian
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Fantastic breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was the first place we ate when we arrived in Anchorage. The Breakfast Fried Rice blew me away, the serving is enough for three meals. The severs are very friendly, and we have gone back multiple times. The appearance is a bit worn down but it is still very cozy and the food makes up for it ten fold. I have no complaints and plan on frequenting the restaurant!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good family style breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have only had Breakfast multiple times at Kava's, and we love the Island style breakfasts. You get a lot to eat at very reasonable price. Nothing fancy regarding the inside, but the food reflects a much better side to this restaurant. It always seems to stay busy, and I a pretty sure these owners will be successful.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alaska
“Great breakfast & service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I thought the service here was excellent. We were seated right away and our server was very friendly and frequently checked on us. They are more than generous with the meal size and the food is tasty - the hash browns were extra crispy, just as we requested and my strawberry crepes were great. I was excited about all the breakfast choices on the menu - pancakes, waffles, crepes, omelettes, and more. It's very affordable, employees are extremely friendly and we'll definitely eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Austin, TX
“Ken's of Hilo in Anchorage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Best unexpected meal on our trip. Delicious food, HUGE portions, relatively low prices, Found this place by accident in NE Anchorage near the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Ate brunch and enjoyed it so much we came back at the end of our trip for supper. It's almost hidden behind the shopping center, but well worth the trip. It reminded us of Ken's house of pancakes in Hilo which is world famous for the quality and quantity of their meals.

• Visited August 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
“Our favorite breakfast spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I found this little restaurant tucked back in the parking lot of a grocery store shortly after they opened in Feb. 2013 and decided to give it a try. We loved it so much we've been going there regularly for months - it's fantastic! The building itself is an old Pizza Hut, so it's not fancy inside, although it's nicely kept. The food is simply amazing - huge portions of very well cooked food. You can get more traditional breakfast diner fare such as steak & eggs or omelets, but the menu also has Polynesian influenced foods like breakfast fried rice. I am a fan of breakfast skillets, and I can honestly say they make the best skillets I've ever tasted. The home fries are crispy on the outside, fluffy in the middle, and seasoned to perfection. Their pancakes are also delicious, and so fluffy that the butter on the top of the stack will actually melt a hole through the top pancake if you aren't careful. The lunches are equally large and delicious, particularly the island-influenced specialties like the teriyaki beef burger. Considering the enormous portions, it's really outstanding value for money as well.

The servers are generally excellent, although we've had one experience where a new person was starting and didn't pay us very much attention. On our other visits, our coffee mugs were never empty, and the very friendly staff were attentive and focused on making sure we were happy and well fed. The owner is usually on site cooking and visiting with guests and, in general, ensuring that all is well. People just seem happy to work there, which I always think is a good sign. We're certainly happy to eat there!

• Visited August 2013