“Not bad, great for the price, convenient location.” 4 of 5 stars

Coast International Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3450 Aviation Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99502   |
Ranked #36 of 70 Hotels in Anchorage
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
“Not bad, great for the price, convenient location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was a little hesitant to book a room here, after reading some of the reviews. Ultimately, the price different between this hotel and other nearby chains which featured the same amenities I wanted (namely, an onsite restaurant and lounge) was big enough to risk it. I was pleasantly surprised. I asked for a room overlooking the lake, which they were happy to provide. This hotel is located right next to Lake Hood, and you can expect to hear small sea planes taking off whenever there is light (which in Alaska, can be at all hours). My room was near the end of the hallway, so I really didn't have much of an issue with noise from other guests. If I return, I would request a similar location. My room was clean, and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was roomy, but quite dated, and could really use a few repairs and a fresh coat of paint. Similarly, the carpet throughout the hotel, and especially the hallways is in dire need of replacement. The WiFi onsite seemed decent, although I mostly used a 4G router since Alaska has Verizon 4G. The lounge was excellent, and the staff extremely friendly and attentive. Their menu was average, but having a beer after working all day is always a nice option. Room service was prompt (and I discovered I don't like reindeer sausage) - but if your pinching pennies, just walk down to the restaurant and save a few bucks. If your not prepared for Alaska prices, you might be in for a bit of a shock when you pick up the room service menu! (the breakfast burrito was around $15 before room service charges, tax, etc.) Overall, as long as you realize this property's shortcomings, the money you save here can help pay for all the gifts your family will expect you to bring back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
lee l, Manager at Coast International Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for providing a review. We are pleased to read you enjoyed our accommodations!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Talkeetna, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here because it was near the airport, inexpensive, and offered free parking for the time we spent away. Those were the only good things I have to say about this place. Other than that...expect cigarette fumes to linger in your nostrils all night. The room definitely felt dirty, my husband wouldn't take off his socks because he didn't want his feet to touch the floor. It seemed like most people were there for a party (if the noise was any indication). I'd say pay extra and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Bring your own bedding.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. We can assure you that this is not typical of the reviews we receive. We will share your review with our team and assess how we can make improvements going forward.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I stayed here with a tour group in June. I choose this place because it is close to the airport, plus it is full service with bar and restaurant so my clients need not leave to eat or enjoy a drink. There is a fun outdoor bar which overlooks a lake with numerous float planes. The place needs some updating; I have stayed here 5 years in a row and nothing much has been updated in that time. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean. The property does not have an elevator.

Room Tip: Many rooms do not have much of view. If its important to you request a room that overlooks Lake Hoo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
lee l, Manager at Coast International Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you weren't pleased with our accommodations. We strive to exceed guest expectations, and it is apparent that the mark was missed on this occasion. We will make a note of your review, and use your comments to improve. Thank you again.
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We expected more for what this cost. This hotel is on the older side and needs redoing. The mattress on our bed had a huge indentation on one side so that the other person felt poised on the brink of a huge mountain. My back hurt after sleeping here one night. Its saving grace is that it is close to the airport and the shuttle service came very quickly. Wouldn't recommend the hotel though!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
lee l, Manager at Coast International Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We are extremely disappointed we failed to provide you with a comfortable mattress. We welcome the opportunity to connect with you offline so you can give us more details about your stay. Thank you for providing us with feedback so we continue to approve.
Green Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel on three separate nights. While this hotel is older than some of the others in the area, it is still a great place to stay. You can tell the hotel is well managed by the way the staff tends to the guests needs. This hotel is located near the airport and only a few blocks from the local bus transportation. Piper's restaurant and lounge is a great place to have a meal or a drink. The patio overlooks the Lake Hood floatplane base which is the busiest in the world. If you are just between flights or spending a few days in Anchorage we would recommend this hotel. Suggest you book ahead of time because it was completely full every night we were there.

Room Tip: Reserve your room early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am so pleased to read that our staff provided excellent service during your recent stays with us. I look forward to sharing your comments with the rest of our team and we hope to see you the next time you are in Anchorage!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I've been to 3 $200-nite hotels in this city this week. Coastal is definitely a 3 but I'd stay there again. Bar is fun with good food. Shuttle to airport runs every 10 minutes, 24 hours a day. Good place to stay if you're stranded at airport.

• Stayed August 2013
We are pleased you found our proximity to the airport convenient and enjoyed Pipers! We take your feedback seriously and will continue make improvements when possible. Thank you for providing us with comments.
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Apparently the Coast franchise has forgotten about their Anchorage location; the place is horribly run-down, and, at first sight, I was sorry I made the reservation. The front desk staff was pleasant enough, but the room was in serious need of attention. Carpeting was worn, the mattress needed to be replaced, the fridge in the room looks like it was dropped from a tall building, and the shower had obvious mold stains. Lucky for me, I only needed a room, close to the airport, for one night.

It was a Tuesday night, and noise from the hall was consistent most of the night. That normally wouldn't bother me, but I had to be up at 4 AM.

On a positive note, it's always nice to have a fridge in the room (tho I didn't need it); there was a coffee maker (always a plus for me), and there was shuttle service to the airport. The front desk staff was very pleasant and efficient.

I booked online, and mentioned my AARP discount, which may explain all the handicapped accessories in the room, even though I'm not physically disabled. Also, my rate was quoted as $170.10, which included all taxes. When I checked out, that was the amount of the room, and taxes were added to that total, coming to about $190...way overpriced. I think I was ripped off, but kept my mouth shut and was happy to simply leave. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Prices are competitive; skip this one and go somewhere nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your thoroughness and honesty. We wholeheartedly apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. Please be assured that our intentions are always to deliver the best possible accommodations to our guests. Your satisfaction is very important to us; and we will be sure to implement your suggestions when possible.

Been to Coast International Inn? Share your experiences!