“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 69 hotels in Anchorage
Austin, Texas
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We definitely enjoyed this hotel. They were nice enough to upgrade us to a hospitality suite since both my partner and I were working from the hotel and taking conference calls all day. They were a little slow with service. We had to request extra pillows three times before they finally brought us the three extra pillows we wanted.

The room service was a little slow. The people taking the orders got our order wrong on two separate occasions. Both times they substituted the dish we ordered with a similar sounding dish. I don't think it was a language issue, but they seemed to be very overwhelmed with requests in general, so these were just minor mistakes.

The front desk manager (I think) was very apologetic, and called at one point to apologize for the mistakes and offered me extra points - which was nice - but not necessary.

Every staff member we encountered, from the front desk to the valet, room service and even the housekeepers, were extremely friendly and welcoming. The property itself is very well maintained (maybe recently renovated?), extremely clean, and had great amenities.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, they went out of their way to make up for the minor hiccups we experienced, and if back in the area again, I would certainly return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheryl H, Manager at Anchorage Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your response! I am sorry that your experienced less than speedy service, however I am delighted we were able to make it right for you. We were able to take your feedback and help identify the issues we were having this those departments.

I hope you were productive in your work while you were here. We will see you again soon!

907-792-2119

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed a week in early September. Hotel was comfortable and clean. Very nice bed with lots of pillows. Gym and restaurant left a little to be desired. If you want amenities, go to the Captain Cook. That said, absolutely every interaction with staff was stellar. Friendly and accommodating from the door to the desk to room service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cheryl H, Manager at Anchorage Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Dan H,

Thank you for your response! We are thrilled so see you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced the hospitality and service you deserve.

We hope to see you again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Typical Marriott: great bedding, furniture starting to seem dated but in good shape, friendly staff. The bar/restaurant area has been moved and remodeled since I was here last year and are a vast improvement. Hotel is in a good a good location. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hello!

Thank your staying with us again! We are pleased you enjoyed the remodel of the Great Room as much as we have. It provided a lovely atmosphere that all of our guests can appreciate.

See you soon!

Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The staff there is just exceptional - all very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable! The hotel has a very convenient location to restaurants, bars and shoppings. Although rooms and facilities are a little bit dated, but still in good shapes. FYI, concierge lounge is closed during weekends, elites use the restaurant for free continental breakfast and there is a $4 surcharge for picking hot breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Greeting from Alaska!

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. We appreciate you sharing that while the Concierge Lounge is closed on the weekend we do provide an option. All of our guest are important to us, however our preferred members loyalty is appreciated and we always give a little extra care!

Hope to see you again.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed here on a Friday night. A great location in downtown, it is very convenient to restaurants/bars and local attractions. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The facilities are all first rate and the room was comfortable. I had a problem with very poor wireless in my initial room and they immediately moved me to a room that had good reception. I will stay here again if I am in Anchorage.

Room Tip: Check your wireless reception before unpacking.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Greetings Sali2fun!

Thank you for choosing the Marriott during your trip to Anchorage. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Glad we could accommodate a solution to the Internet problem you encountered. A sincere apology for the inconvenience.

Keep Sailing!

Regards,

Washington, DC
2,035 helpful votes 2,035 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Last time I was in Anchorage I stayed at the Embassy Suites, rated #1 on this site, and thought it was awful. So, I decided to stay at the Marriott this time, in spite of the rating, and glad I did! If there's one thing about Marriott properties it's that you know what you'll get-sight unseen, unlike Hilton properties where you never know until you get there. The Embassy Suite room was divided into what they called a suite, but the two rooms were very small and crammed with furniture which made it feel claustrophobic. I couldn't wait to leave.

But I arrived at the Marriott this trip, check in was quick and pleasant and my room was large, clean and bright, as expected. The property is right downtown, so within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants, which was extremely convenient. In addition, being a high rise, the views facing the mountains are stunning. The bed was comfy, as usual, and breakfast was good. Valet parking is quite expensive for Anchorage, but there is metered parking on the street, which is free from 6PM to 9AM and all weekend long and there's also a lot in front of the hotel that charges $1 an hour, so there are options. My only complaint would be the slowness of the Internet. If I were paying for it, I would have demanded a refund. Other than that, I had a wonderful stay. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view....breathtakingly beautiful!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear romadao,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your willingness to give our property a try and are even more thrilled that we were able to live up to your expectations. We have no doubt that we are the premier property in Downtown Anchorage and are so happy that you would agree. I love your statement that you know what you are going to get with a Marriott and that is exactly why we are proud to hang the Marriott flag.

Glad you were able to enjoy the breathtaking views that I never get tired of seeing!

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I would have expected more from a Marriott property, but we experienced an average stay. We arrived around 6p and left by 6a the next morning. The staff was friendly enough and the room was Ok. There was no Wow factor with this property, so if you are in for a short stay, this a decent option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Varucca,

I am sorry that you weren't wowed by our property, however I am also glad that you didn't have a unpleasant stay with us. You certainly were here for a very short time, I'm sorry you didn't get to experience more of our property, the amazing views and our great city.

Cheryl.hurd@marriottsales.com

Been to Anchorage Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!