“Good downtown location - Marriott quality” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #11 of 69 hotels in Anchorage
UK
“Good downtown location - Marriott quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was booked on frequent stayer points for the first night of Alaska holiday. Anchorage is a high buy in price for any hotel and this stay was to give us a little time to scope out the area before picking up a rental car and moving on. It is convenient. Easy to get to from the airport. Our room was on a quiet highish floor and the view was good. We noticed many of the guests there were there as a night over from a cruise holiday. And as there are not that many high end hotels in Anchorage and this was summer, prices to stay there reflected this. But easy to walk around the compact downtown area. The breakfast buffet was enormous and service all round was good.

Room Tip: Easy walking to downtown shopping centre and to restaurants.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I always enjoy staying at the downtown Marriott. It is within walking distance of everything downtown, and the staff really are first-class. My only issue lately has been the very slow Internet, which sometimes cuts out altogether during peak hours. Not really what lone expects from pay-for-service Internet, especially when one has business to do.

Room Tip: High floors have awesome views of Cook Inlet, downtown, the Sleeping Lady, and if you're lucky...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed there for an event, and as Marriott's go it was pretty much what you would expect. Good sized rooms, clean. Staff was excellent. Location was very good right in downtown, walking distance to many good restaurants. It was a bit more expensive than I would have expected for Anchorage, but not terribly so.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
simsbury ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The downtown Marriott is in a good location, everything is walkable....tour bus, tourist info center, Anchorage museum, free shuttle to Anchorage zoo and good restaurants....we ate at the glacier brewhouse...highly recommend it. Stayed using points and as a platinum member we had access to the concierge lounge, wonderful view of mt McKinley which we saw for 3 days!...rare, I'm told. Lounge was comfortable with a nice, light breakfast and appetizers in the evening. Rooms were very adequate, service was very good. Would definitely stay there again in Anchorage!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Many have reviewed this hotel to this point and covered most of the points. I'll share a couple thoughts with you and hope you find it helpful. We needed an overnight spot in Anchorage until our flight late the next day... We had a free night voucher from Marriott for having the Marriott Visa Signature. So since this was the nicest Marriott in town, we picked this. I am a former Marriott Gold and Platinum member so have enjoyed many nice Marriott's over the years. This property was perfect for our needs. I still have Silver status (from having the credit card) so we were able to use the Elite line and be recognized for that. We had a nice corner room on the 19th floor. We saw whales in the morning out in the inlet which we really enjoyed. The bathroom was nice and clean and had Bed Bath Beyond amenities which I really like. The bed was amazingly comfortable... especially compared to the alleged "resort" we stayed at in Denali which had no business calling itself a resort. Being on the 19th floor gave us concierge lounge access so in the morning we enjoyed the nice continental breakfast joined with a few hot items. We also used the pool and workout room which was nice. The pool is starting to show some rust and wear but all in all it was fine. My Wife enjoyed the workout room while I was in the pool and hot tub. We went to Glacial Brew House (2 blocks away) on the evening of our arrival and really enjoyed that, then we ordered food to be delivered from Urban Greens for lunch which was quite tasty. The front desk staff was quite friendly and helpful for all our requests. We were granted 1:30PM late checkout which was really nice of them. Finally, upon checkout, we stored our bags there for a few hours while we went to the Zoo and then picked them back up upon our return and head for the airport. The bell staff was quite accommodating.

The ONE negative I have to mention is SUCH a pet peeve of mine... the hotel charges for in-room internet access. It is free in the lobby, which is nice and how it SHOULD be... but in-room internet is $14.95 per day or $9.95 for access through noon the following day. I paid for this option so I could get some work done in my room... but when a hotel charges $299 per NIGHT, EXTORTING an addition $14.95 is just wrong. That is the only thing that left somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth about the hotel. Everything else was great and I'd love to stay there again if rates were reasonable (<$150 per night) or I had another free night certificate.

I hope this review was helpful.

Room Tip: High floor. Ask for upgrade to concierge level.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Not a cheap hotel, but it is nice. Fancy lobby. Furnishings seemed pretty new, though the room was a little spartan for the hefty price tag I paid...only one wall had any pictures, leaving the other big walls vacant and barren. The view north from the 11th floor was nice, and on clear mornings I could see Denali (I think it was Denali, anyway). Service staff were friendly, too. If you're into checking out downtown, the location is great, as there are loads of restaurants in walking distance (but if you're eager to check out the natural beauty outside of Anchorage, this is not a great spot). On the face of it, the hotel is probably above average. However, this hotel abides by the apparent rule that the more you pay, the less you get. Why is it that I get free coffee 24/7 and a hot breakfast of waffles and eggs at a Super 8, but if I pay triple that rate here, I have to pay $15 for breakfast and $4 for a cup of joe in the lounge? Why do I have to pay for daily parking after I've already paid through the nose for a room? Likewise, the business center computers require a per/minute charge to use. Really?? I'd think for the rate that there would be some perks, but I guess you have to seek out a Days Inn for such high-class luxuries as gratis breakfast danishes. This is the only hotel I've stayed at in Anchorage, and maybe this is the norm here, but it seems penny-pinching of the management to charge for every little thing after you've already paid a hefty nightly rate. I likely won't stay here again for that reason.

Room Tip: In the summer, the sun sets far to the north of west, so if the 11PM sunlight bugs you, get a room t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The is a modern business class hotel in downtown Anchorage. This is the newest and most modern right in the city center. My Marriott gold status has always provided me with a room facing the Cook Inlet. The room(s) I have stayed in have always been typical Marriott - best pillows in this class of hotel, comfortable bed, and quality furnishings. The bathrooms are spacious, clean, and modern.

The common areas are long and narrow (main lobby). i've never attended a meeting at this hotel, but it is clear this is a hub for business activity.

Service has always been efficient and friendly, I'd struggle to call it warm.

The hotel a couple blocks from the mall downtown and is in the heart of downtown activity.

The executive club lounge offers a nice view, warm evening appetizers, and warm and continental breakfast choices.

Parking at this hotel is limited. The only hotel offered option is valet, where your car is parked outside close to the hotel. Depending on the season, you might be able to get street parking after hours until morning at no cost.

Finally... value depends on your desires as well as the time of year. Off-season this hotel is very competitively priced with other downtown and mid-town options. During the peak summer months, it might be time to break out and use those rewards points you have been saving up.

Room Tip: Get as high as you can - and fantastic inlet views.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Anchorage Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!