“Great house to rest and plan the next leg of my Alaska journey” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anchorage Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anchorage
Anchorage Guest House
You added Anchorage Guest House to your Saves list
2001 Hillcrest Drive, Anchorage, AK 99517   |
Ranked #33 of 122 Anchorage B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Great house to rest and plan the next leg of my Alaska journey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at this place 2 times – once upon arriving in ANC and then right before I had to fly out. The house is great –it’s a real house in a nice residential neighborhood. After traveling around the western US and dealing with a lot of budget-saving hostels, this one rocked on the scale of “feel like coming home.” I grew up in the Midwest and felt right at home in this place. The female dorm room was quiet and had plenty of space. There were some renovation projects going on, but the room and bed were great, along with the kitchen, and the price included breakfast. The home owner was flexible and allowed me to store some stuff in the garage while I traveled, which really helped me out. I’d recommend this place anytime.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I live near Kenai so need to fly in and out of Anchorage a few times a year. Whenever I'm traveling solo I stay at the Anchorage Guest House. I learned about it from a referral from the Girdwood hostel. It is the least expensive place as well as one of the most comfortable in Anchorage. It feels like home. I meet lots of interesting and friendly people there. We often go out to eat, sightsee, or bicycle around town together.

You don't get maid service, starched sheets and a mint at night - you have to make your own bed and bring the sheets to the laundry in the morning, but to save $60 for 5 minutes work is not a bad trade-off.

I also value the information I get from other guests and the owner. The owner is an effervescent fountain of information. He is never too busy to provide detailed suggestions and great ideas of things to do in Alaska. I never would have seen the historic and beautiful Kenokott Copper Mine if not for him.

Room Tip: Bicycle rental is a good deal.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I'm afraid to say that after my excellent first stay 10 years ago, my second stay was not that nice. I stayed in both the private and hostel rooms and none were clean and general maintenance seemed to be lacking. The bathrooms were not at all clean and I had difficulty feeling clean after showering, trying not to touch any surface and stay away from the walls and put towels on the floor so I didn't have to stand on it.
It's in a nice location, there is private parking, albeit limited, and there are kitchen facilities, which are really useful.
Also, I'm a little annoyed that the positive review I posted on the website in 2001 has been redated to 2010, which is misleading.
If the place was clean and maintained then I would consider staying but I think it just needs some more attention.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

As a solo traveler, I found the Anchorage Guest House extremely accommodating. Andy was very helpful with helping me to plan my adventures in Alaska. I stayed there the first night after I flew in and ended up returning for 2 more nights while passing through Anchorage again. Even though Andy was on a vacation of his own at this time, he made sure I was taken care of and had a comfortable and safe place to stay. It felt more like a home as opposed to many other hostels that I walked past and found somewhat intimidating. Lots of good food, company and music. The guest house is also focused on green initiatives, which I always appreciate to see.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've been staying at the Anchorage Guesthouse whenever I am in town for 10 years now, and there is a reason I keep going back. This is a spacious home, clean and quiet. the location is excellent - right by the coastal trail for bike riding or walking (it's only a 20 minute walk to downtown), and also convenient to bus lines and the airport.

The proprietor encourages adventure travelers to stay here, and the folks you meet at the Guesthouse are always interesting. I have met other outdoor enthusiasts from all over the globe, young and old. Owner Andy Baker is cheerful, helpful, and likely to end up as a good friend.

The upstairs dorm room for women is light and airy, with lots of room with only 4 persons sharing. The private upstairs rooms are likewise well-conceived. Andy has added rooms downstairs, and has done a lot of work to get light to them as well. The bathrooms are well maintained and clean. The yard is lovely. Main room furniture is sparse, but this just gives more space to those fortunate enough to select the Guesthouse. Summer 2012 saw new paint and many updates.

Room Tip: Gals - stay in the upstairs dorm: what a bargain!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I stayed at Anchorage Guest House in July this year 2011 and it's the third time i have stayed here as i think it's the best place to stay in Anchorage. This is because it feels like a home away from home, the owner Andy Baker is very friendly and welcoming, it's a great set up with plenty of food for breakfast, comfortable beds, nice rooms and the location is excellent being in a nice neighborhood and close to the coastal trail and downtown. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Anchorage i love it there !

Room Tip: Book at least a week in advance if you can.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Pros: Value - under $90 a night in Anchorage is crazy cheap. Well-stocked with quality provisions - excellent coffee, fresh fruit, healthy cereal, organic milk and soy milk. Large common areas. Friendly owner.

Cons: When we arrived, construction materials were all around the grounds and the interior of house, although the inside was tidied up by morning. Room had no closet doors, adding to under-construction feel of the property. Curtains were cut too small to block out sunlight entirely. Once renovations are complete, though, you'd really only have the easy-to-fix issue of the curtains as a negative.

Verdict: If you're only in town for an evening or two, this is the place to stay. Even for longer-term visits, hard to justify paying Anchorage's going rate of $200+ per night unless you really need a traditional hotel's comfort and amenities.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Anchorage Guest House? Share your experiences!